Are Optical Drives Always Installed From the Front?

JaiMaai

I was trying to install (not replace) an optical drive in a PC tower that didn't have one. So, I took off the side covers, unclipped the front panel and proceeded to slide in the new drive. Except that it won't go in. The aperture is just slightly too narrow. It looks as if there is a lip on the chassis that perhaps shouldn't be there.

Please tell me I'm missing something obvious. The case is a BIGS Luna but I can't find any documentation or installation manual/guide online.1533986553128.jpeg

Sent from my ZX81 using a dial-up modem.

I don't know that case but I installed hundreds of CD and DVD drives and they were all installed from the front.

Sometimes the metal parts in the PC have some openings which makes it difficult to slight the drive in. But if you do it carefully and straight it should work.

I didn't have the time to keep trying what I thought would be a "quick" job. So that's just the outside after I put things back together.

I'll take a picture of the internal frame when I have another go.

Sent from my TA-1021 using Tapatalk

As a bonus, when I was playing around the first time, I found the front panel connectors were connected wrong. So, the power, hd activity leds are now working and so is the reset button.

[emoji847]

On 8/12/2018 at 1:59 PM, JaiMaai said:

As a bonus, when I was playing around the first time, I found the front panel connectors were connected wrong. So, the power, hd activity leds are now working and so is the reset button.

emoji847.png

Just curious who assembled the computer the first time ? Was this a computer you bought complete or something someone made him / herself. 

It was a used self-build bought at a cheap price from a pawn shop.  I'm slowly upgrading it. RAM / DVD-Rom, and I am now considering installing an  SSD as the system drive,  I'm not entirely sure if it's worth it besides boot times because of my usage which is really just Word and web browsing.

7 minutes ago, JaiMaai said:

It was a used self-build bought at a cheap price from a pawn shop.  I'm slowly upgrading it. RAM / DVD-Rom, and I am now considering installing an  SSD as the system drive,  I'm not entirely sure if it's worth it besides boot times because of my usage which is really just Word and web browsing.

If you upgrade it to SSD you never want to use a computer without SSD again..

In many cases it's like day and night. If I would have the choice of a brand new PC with HDD or to upgrade an old PC with SSD I would most likely chose the old PC with SSD. It makes a HUGE difference.

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

If you upgrade it to SSD you never want to use a computer without SSD again..

In many cases it's like day and night. If I would have the choice of a brand new PC with HDD or to upgrade an old PC with SSD I would most likely chose the old PC with SSD. It makes a HUGE difference.

100% AGREE SSD is the best upgrade for a computer (if older). I recently gave a 120GB SSD to a friend as it is too small for my use. He loves it at first he wanted to buy a new computer but after the upgrade he does not need too. Really SSD is the way to go.

2 hours ago, robblok said:

100% AGREE SSD is the best upgrade for a computer (if older). I recently gave a 120GB SSD to a friend as it is too small for my use. He loves it at first he wanted to buy a new computer but after the upgrade he does not need too. Really SSD is the way to go.

And basically any SSD is faster than any HDD. Obviously there are still differences but it's like exchanging a pick-up with a sports car. Basically all sports cars will be faster than all pick-ups.

Guys,

Do you have any opinions between a Samsung/Kingston/WD Green drive?

If I go for it, I'm going to avoid no-name or obscure brands. So, it's probably between these ones unless I get another recommendation...

2 hours ago, JaiMaai said:

Guys,

If I go for it, I'm going to avoid no-name or obscure brands. So, it's probably between these ones unless I get another recommendation...

The fast way: Look for one from a brand name (like above) with a decent price and look at the warranty time. I think some still have 5Y which should be a good sign for the quality.

If you want to spend time then look exactly which brand/model name/number are available and check online for test and comparison charts.

Best is if you find all in one chart to be sure they measure the same way.

The fast way: Look for one from a brand name (like above) with a decent price and look at the warranty time. I think some still have 5Y which should be a good sign for the quality.
If you want to spend time then look exactly which brand/model name/number are available and check online for test and comparison charts.
Best is if you find all in one chart to be sure they measure the same way.
All good advice, thanks.

But, I think I'm just going to take the approach of going into the local shops and seeing what they've actually got in stock. With the motherboard only being SATA2, this will likely be the limiting factor anyway.

On 8/16/2018 at 2:28 AM, JaiMaai said:

Guys,

Samsung for SSD. I prefer the PRO over the EVO.

In your case, it does not matter.

Samsung is a vertical Tier 1 manufactur meaning they make everything,

frame, pcb, memory controller, NAND memory chips, and the software.

Nobody else does, they use stuff from others.

Samsung sold their HDD mfg line to Seagate a few years ago.

In essence, if you choose a HDD (spinner), I say Seagate.

I very much dislike WD, have replaced oh many.

The WD Green is a (very) slow 5400 RPM HDD.

For a HDD 'spinner', look at Hitachi or Seagate.

Avoid Toshiba.

You will need a SATA cable.

And Likely a set of 'brackets' so the SSD will fit in a slot.

The Samsung cloning software is superb.

Macirum Reflect failed.

You 'may' have to change your current HDD primary partiton

from 'boot-active' to non-boot-active.

You 'may' have to change BIOS settings for what disc boots 1'st.

There is a precise sequential series of steps that must be followed.

If going to a SSD, TURN OFF 'defrag' in the OS.

Don't worry about SATA 2, it works very well.

Best to you.

- howto

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 8:17 PM, stud858 said:

The whole front  plastic fascia of the case sometimes needs to be unclipped when installing DVD. Position the drive then clip fascia back on.

The important word here is "sometimes".

Because sometimes the drive has to be installed without removing the front. If you remove the front and install the drive and then want to install the front again that might not work! This means all back to the start and installing it from scratch.

I experienced this with a couple of CoolerMaster cases. I like these cases but be aware how to install DVD drives...

Archived