Buying Kyat

keenok

where is the best place to buy kyat?? is it even possible to buy here?? if i have to buy in myanmar ,can i buy with THB?? any information greatly appreciated.

Buy in Myanmar, you'll be trampled in the rush. they take baht and USD anyway.

pleased to hear it :o my concern was problems changing THB over there. thanks for the information.

yes baht is easy to change in Yangon.

i use a shop that was shown to me by a burmese friend.

in scott market (bogyoke zei)

all the way down the left side roadway,

you are looking at it when you cant walk any futher.

it sells grocery stuf (ha haa)

a good rate there and reliable.

Count your kyat carefully when you exchange in Bogyoke market (as suggested by mark lamai)....There's a wheelbarrow-load to count in a decent exchange, and it's too easy to get short-changed if you're not lynx-eyed. You'll probably find that clean (no marks) USD in large denominations nett you the best deal.

I really do miss ColPyat's posts! :D

I thought the OP was asking for that fabulous East African/Yemeni herb of a similar name, which i have had the great pleasure to be introduced while being there (weeks spent in the market in an animated haze...), and regularly indulged many years ago while i was living in Bombay while Colabar still had some of the charm left so well described in the excellent book 'Shantaram'...

Which i haven't had the pleasure to chew in more than a decade...

:D

Only when i read the thread again i understood he was just asking for Burmese money. :o

colonel, that is gat... and , a lot of old folks grow it on moshavim in my area. all the old guys here chew it (yeminite jews).. off topic but i also thought at first thats what he meant which is why i read the post in the first place....

not thailand related just funny co inkaidink....

bina

colonel, that is gat... and , a lot of old folks grow it on moshavim in my area. all the old guys here chew it (yeminite jews).. off topic but i also thought at first thats what he meant which is why i read the post in the first place....

not thailand related just funny co inkaidink....

bina

You must have a lot of happy old guys in your area... :o

If you ask the front desk at your hotel,they will change it for you when you get there.Just make sure you have about $3~$6 for your taxi,when you arrive at Yangon airport .When you pick up your bag,head for the exit(Only 1 !!),and there's a taxi desk,just outside on the left(Blue and white "taxi" sign above it!!).

As posted before,if you're going to change large amounts......Bring a wheelbarrow!!!!