Foreign tourists to Thailand should be made to have insurance: poll

webfact

21 hours ago, curlylekan said:

1) I always buy travel insurance when traveling, but I disagree that it should be mandatory. (2) So because the government does not enforce safety measures through fines, jails, or suspension of the operation of a business, I will be made to have travel insurance because the government doesn't provide a service that every government should provide - that being enforcement of safety rules and regulations. Also, if this ever comes to fruition, I bet the Chinese won't have to buy the insurance, they already get treated like royalty. The Chinese government is even beginning to print Thailand's money.

Creation and enforcement of safety rules and regulations on roads, boats, jet ski's, etc I think would be the best way to reduce any burden on Thai hospitals and any tourist compensation fund. 

I guess, as usual with the creation of any emerging country, governmental departments don't work together to find a solution to the problem. I hope things can improve and the Thai people will figure this out, without giving any one race of people, like the Chinese, preference over others.

For every tour operator it is mandatory to conclude a TRAVEL BUSINESS INSURANCE.
So if the government/TAT doesn't check their operators if they follow the law... 

7 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

As I said in the same way that they collect the Airport tax from ALL airlines.

Lets say they charge an extra 2000 baht on a ticket. The airlines pass that onto their customers and in turn pay the Thai Government  would then have a fund for foreign travel insurance. Yes, silly you.

Yes i'm sure all the airlines round the world , will do that.

And only 2000 for full cover ?

Its' Un workable.

Do you watch a lot of Sifi or are you a sales person

Edited by stanleycoin
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, stanleycoin said:

Yes i'm sure all the airlines round the world , will do that.

And only 2000 for full cover ?

Its' Un workable.

Do you watch a lot of Sifi or are you a sales peson

I was using an arbitrary figure. And if it raises 60bill baht, how many of the 30m visitors would actually need to use it? 1% 2%? Also it would negate the need for greedy scamming insurance companies. Thai hospitals would know that as a foreigner you have automatic insurance and would be paid from the fund. It's not difficult, there just need to be a willing to implement.

And why wouldn't the airlines around the world do this ? They ALL already charge you a tax for entering Thailand. It's just adding another tax to the ticket price

Yes, I watch a lot of Sci-Fi and I am a buyer not a sales person.

Edited by Chelseafan
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

I was using an arbitrary figure. And if it raises 60bill baht, how many of the 30m visitors would actually need to use it? 1% 2%? Also it would negate the need for greedy scamming insurance companies. Thai hospitals would know that as a foreigner you have automatic insurance and would be paid from the fund. It's not difficult, there just need to be a willing to implement.

Yes, I watch a lot of Sci-Fi and I am a buyer not a sales person.

What about the travellers that go else ware, due to increased air fairs ?

Like i said what's in for Thailand, if airlines get involved, the air lines just pay the insurance companies, why give the money to Thailand ?

What about people that already have travel insurance, Thailand is not the only destination for some tourists on holiday ? do they get a part ticket refund of the not needed insurance ?

Do you think Thailand can tell airline s round the world to do this for Thailand ?

Your in dodo do land.

Like i said before,  if it was done on entry to Thailand, it would maybe be doable 

Hope  Somchai has not run off with the money, when the time comes to do that open heart surgery you need, whilst on your holiday.

Nah, it could never happen here with a government fund.

Keep up with the sales and Sifi. :thumbsup:

Edited by stanleycoin
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mandatory insurance is a scam. Why?

1. It's corporate welfare, guaranteed income for Insurance companies, paid for by you and enforced by law.

2. Insurers exist to MAKE PROFITs. Not to help sick nd injured people. Most people who buy insurance will lose out in order to subsidsize those careless or unfortunate people who run up huge bills. I prefer that I did not.

3. Often insurers refuse to payout for trivial reasons. eg. Pre existing conditions, consumption of alcohol, or obscure terms and conditions.

Considering the 3 points, I ask anyone how they can still support stupid ideas like this. How about just MAKING PEOPLE PAY instead? Kind of works for every other business in every other country, or maybe don't treat these deadbeats...Just seems like the Thai hospitals are too freakin lazy (or is it the timid nature of thais? )to demand payment.  Hiring some debt collectors with foreign language skills, perhaps?

Edited by Time Traveller

4 minutes ago, stanleycoin said:

What about the travellers that go else ware, due to increased air fairs ?

Like i said what's in for Thailand, if airlines get involved ?

What about people that already have travel insurance, Thailand is not the only destination for some tourists on holiday ? do they get a ticket refund ?

Do you think Thailand can tell airline s round the world to do this for Thailand ?

Your in dodo do land.

Like i said before,  if it was done on entry to Thailand, it would maybe be doable 

Hope  Somchai has not run off with the money, when the time comes to do that open heart surgery you need, whilst on your holiday.

Nah, it could never happen here with a government fund.

Keep up with the sales and Sifi. :thumbsup:

What's in it for Thailand ?

1) Medical care bills will be covered - No concerns over those who can pay or not

2) Generates jobs as the fund will have to be managed

3) Generates income for the Government which will also accrue interest.

An increase of "2000" baht is not going to really put people off from traveling to Thailand

Those that have travel insurance wouldn't need it as its already built into the ticket price.

The charge would be compulsory whether you are visiting Thailand or going through transit.

The refund would be administered by the airline as per the Airport Tax

Thailand already tells airlines to increase ticket costs for the Airport charge which used to be 500 baht so easy to do

I am talking about entry to Thailand as a tourist - not as an ex-pat.

And it's Sci-Fi!

I feel some people mistake a travel insurance with a health insurance which is totally different in purpose und cover. A travel insurance will cover all cost (sometimes limited amounts) in case of sudden / un-expected sickness and / or accident during the duration of the holidays. Sure there might be exclusions for chronic illnesses or certain preconditions - and - this is not the Topic of this post.

The cover can be worldwide, the duration can be determined by travel plans and the amount depending on your own Determination. I check cost e.g. from Thailand, wordlwide (except USA / Canada) cover between 3 - 4 Mio. THB, valid for 60 days at around 4. - 5.000.- B.

You can get this easily online - Airlines can check this insurance while check-in - will not take longer than checking the validity of passport.

Edited by Prince77

16 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

1) Medical care bills will be covered - No concerns over those who can pay or not

An increase of "2000" baht is not going to really put people off from traveling to Thailand

Those that have travel insurance wouldn't need it as its already built into the ticket price.

The charge would be compulsory whether you are visiting Thailand or going through transit.

Thailand already tells airlines to increase ticket costs for the Airport charge which used to be 500 baht so easy to do

And it's Sci-Fi!

ok mate. you win :cheesy:

Unworkable, i think.

how long a line would you like at Immigration to stand in !!!!!!!!!

and the Tax revenue refund line !!!!!!!!!!!

Ps only someone in sales,  would believe that's all possible in Thailand. :giggle:

Good day, 

Edited by stanleycoin
  • Like 1

The majority of EU countries require people from less developed countries wishing to apply for tourist visa's to purchase travel insurance.

Most people from developed countries travel visa free so there is no step to make sure they have insurance with the assumption being they are financially better off and able to pay if healthcare is required.

Healthcare systems in the majority of countries are paid for by taxes and since visitors do not pay these taxes are ineligible to access these funds thus the necessity of travel insurance, unless they want to take the risk and pocket it themselves.

Considering the relatively low costs of travel insurance and unless someone can provide proof of their own healthcare insurance that covers travel related incidents I personally am for mandatory travel insurance.  Should be for all people traveling as they should be self-responsible.  Traveling is enjoying but there are always risks involved (especially if in the so called catastrophic healthcare cost group) so it seems like the the logically wise thing to do.

Edited by smileydude
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Sir Dude said:

Holiday insurance should be mandatory...and anyone that doesn't take-it-out is foolish. Also, read the small print as most insurance companies with not entertain riding a motorbike.

Most companies do entertain riding a motor bike but at a huge added cost. Quoted  me an extra £900 on a 6 month duration 

2 minutes ago, stanleycoin said:

ok mate. you win :cheesy:

Unworkable, i think.

how long a line would you like at Immigration to stand in !!!!!!!!!

Ps only someone in sales,  would believe that's all possible in Thailand. :giggle:

Why would there be a line at immigration ? The insurance is automatic so the IO wouldn't have to do anything.

And as I said - I'm not in sales, I'm a Buyer.

1 hour ago, car720 said:

and pray tell which insurance company would cover you?  The cost of long term travel insurance is not viable so are you going to use a Thai company.  That is not viable either for obvious reasons.  How will you make a claim?  An overseas company will delay any claim you make until you are near dead and a local company will delay it until you are dead.

I usually stay on a MET-Visa and my insurance company provides covers for over 20 million bath, including motorbike/car accidents plus many other things for approx. $400-450 under a period of 6-7 months. There are plenty of options available and it doesn't take much time to figure out which premiums are most suitable; a bit of research and calls' is all you need. In my honest opinion: health or travel insurance is a must have and should be mandatory for anyone planning a long-term visit. However, It would be impossible to implement this on those travelers who're here for a short trip, and many of them (westerners especially) are already covered.

17 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

Even if something like this were enforceable which to all intents and purposes it isnt where does it leave those who are unable to take out insurance due to pre existing conditions or to who the cost is so prohibitively high because of those conditions that it effectively becomes unobtainable .. 

Don’t go there, Simple

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

This thread is about Tourist insurance

Yes, BUT It is a natural progression to include EXPAT Health Insurance, as part of the discussion. Shouldn’t be too taxing on anyone’s mental capacity to comprehend the situation.

However if you are struggling to grasp the link don’t fret, just pass on to the next topic.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chelseafan said:

And it's Sci-Fi!

I think 2000B is too much. No issue with 500 or 1000B though. About 1200-1500B can get you worldwide multi-trip travel insurance for 12 months. 

Most tickets are broken down in cost anyway.

Air-Fare

Tax

Fuel Surcharge or whatever else they can dream up.

Just add it onto the passenger arrival tax. Its already 700B i think. Not sure. The mechanism is already in place to collect this from the airlines. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

BTW. how do the Thai's validate what your suggesting

below, documents in multiple different languages ?

and level of cover, what level of cover should it be ?

English and/or translating to Thai.

I suggest the same cover level as a travel insurance including 'repatriating'.

But once again, this discussion can be held in an other topic.

40 minutes ago, judax said:

As my health insurance back home in South Africa reimburses me for medical expenses occured overseas why must I be forced to take out an additional one.

Paying 500B on the passenger tax or something wouldn't kill you. I have private medical insurance also that covers me as well but i am not against the idea. 

You might be lying unconscious and need treatment. I would prefer that they treat me knowing i paid the 500B and then later on everything can worked out later with the hospital.

23 hours ago, smedly said:

anyone that travels anywhere on "Holiday" without insurance needs their head looked at, but I stress "on holiday" as it is easy to get and has a limited time duration, it is also worth noting if you do have insurance making sure to check what exactly you are covered for or rather "not covered for" because many in recent news stories have had problems when they discovered they were not covered for certain things

I'm 76y/o  from Australia. We have free medical and hospital treatment which is quite good whilst in Aus. You can have a top up by paying extra and that is be called "private cover" which is sort of jumping the queue if you pay extra.  Holiday and travel insurance can be very tricky if you are not good at reading the fine print.  If you need to claim, any pre-existing conditions will/may be exempt.  If you want to be covered for pre- existing conditions you need to be very switch on about this, you may require expensive extensive medical checks which you will have to pay yourself.  Aus free health does pay for investigations for medical certificates about your condition for insurance or job applications, they only pay for medical and hospital treatment. You have to pay that yourself. As you get past 70y/o many insurance companies will just not insure you period and the few that will have so many conditions that it is just not really practical.  The extra premiums can be quite high.  

For Australians and people from other countries who do have travel insurance and can claim the insurers in most case are only required to fix you up enough to get back to you home country so you get the free Govt or private health cover that you are entitled to.  Some times that maybe costly.  If you break a leg and you spend a week in hospital they may pay for a 1st class ticket home,  That's OK but if your holiday ends you may  get some compensation, end of story for them.  If an earthquake or natural disaster happens "not covered" if the travel company or airline goes broke, "not covered". Some do not cover if you drive a car or motorbike.  Don't jump out of planes, that's not covered or go snow skying etc.  You need to be a bit of a bush lawyer to read the 60/70 pages of fine print, most don't until somethings happens.

Travel insurance can be full of ifs and buts if you are getting on a bit.  At my age, health wise, I think (hope )? I'm OK,  I would like to be able to get insurance and pay for it where I am repatriated back to Aus even if a substantial excess is invoked so I can continue my free medical entitlements In Australia.  I'd like that my accident will not send me broke or I end up in debtors prison.

How Thailand could work it around all these ifs and buts I don't know, much to think about.  It would seem that if insurance was available through ATM type machines at Thai entry points using your passport number they woulds have to accept providing all cover warts and all. Hmmm.  Can see lots of problems there?

Edited by David Walden
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, racket said:

They should force the law on those who apply for Visas, since it would be impossible to enforce this for people with visa exempts, and I think most of them are already covered since it's usually a short trip of 30 days. The embassies could list this as a requirement for obtaining a VISA, just like they do when asking for bank statements, employer certificate, etc - that would be a better idea since this group of people are staying longer. 

its the young ( i am invincible ) because i watch X men, brigade that get injured within 30 days. now im sure these guys do not sit around the campfire discussing travel insurance ( it means nothing to them, in fact if  injured and a go fund me page helps them it proves to them how popular they are ).

also accidents do not have any concept of time.

start enforcing health and safety laws and making people responsible for their business,  ie. boat operators - motorbike hirers - baht bus drivers ( standing on back ) and of course proper and full driving insurance.

but of course this will never happen due to the Fifth pillar of thailand

Also Thailand typically does not have a 'blame culture', where a culprit must be found for any misadventure. There is a more fatalistic acceptance of things going wrong, less public clamour for accountability.

1 hour ago, judax said:

As my health insurance back home in South Africa reimburses me for medical expenses occured overseas why must I be forced to take out an additional one.

Surely your existing insurance company would simply give you an updated insurance certificate showing you had it?

I think anybody traveling to a different country should need mandatory travel insurance. After Brexit it could even apply to EU countries. It would save the NHS in the UK a lot of cash.

23 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

Have you forgotten the two accidents where foreigners had to start a Go Fund Me campaign? If people would spend a few bucks/ Euros to make sure that they are covered if something happens, wouldn't it be a win-win situation for all involved?

Perhaps an insurance that's sold with the ticket? If many people have to buy such an insurance, it can't be too expensive.

"wouldn't it be a win-win situation for all involved?" Especially insurance companies in the UK, always looking for excuses not to pay out.

On 8/13/2018 at 4:41 PM, racket said:

They should force the law on those who apply for Visas, since it would be impossible to enforce this for people with visa exempts, and I think most of them are already covered since it's usually a short trip of 30 days. The embassies could list this as a requirement for obtaining a VISA, just like they do when asking for bank statements, employer certificate, etc - that would be a better idea since this group of people are staying longer. 

If insurance companies were given all that extra custom with compulsary tourist insurance, with no competition, their prices would rocket, they are greedy enough as it is.

I'm here on a retirement visa, I'm 69 rapidly approaching 70 with diabetes 2 and hypertension, the health insurance quotes I am being fed (if they quote at all) means they would like me to buy them a condo every year!

They don't cover accidents either.

If they make it mandatory for all visitors many (me included) will be heading elsewhere.

• Like 1