Foreign tourists to Thailand should be made to have insurance: poll

webfact

Not aware of increase in arrival / departure tax being allocated for medical needs ?

I understand the sums which would result - presume this amount included in ticket price.

Where does it go ? general revenue ? Very little transparency in Thailand - filling a financial hole is a never ending task.

If you balk at the cost of paying high age related premiums for health insurance you need to put a similar amount aside for health costs only

5 minutes ago, KhunSugar said:

Proof of yearly payment of insurance should be mandatory for retirement visa holders. Most of the western foreigners traveling to Thailand don't leave their country without a travel insurance. 

We don't get a visa when we retire here  !!!!!!!!!!!!!  :stoner:

We dont need travel insurance if we retire here. !!!!!!!!!!:stoner:

we have heath insurance and accident insurance. :jap:

Edited by stanleycoin

36 minutes ago, finnishmen said:

big idiot monkeyland come ewery day more idiots. alltime more stupid law to foreigns. lawmakers have stupid big monkey dog. its ewerypeople own opinion have insurance or not, NOT coverment and country can say what you need buy and what you need be, same than visa system full stupid system, country say to you how much you need be money, now insurancew,what more, next time all foreign must be have gps tracker and can use only blue shirt or what idiot law make next time. big big monkeyland again.

You ok mate.

you seam a bit stressed today.

Blue shirts would be nice, with maybe a red and white stripe or two. 

that would look cool  :thumbsup:

Edited by stanleycoin

4 minutes ago, stanleycoin said:

we have heath insurance and accident insurance. :jap:

I'm not so sure about that.

I agree for some countries where people used to pay private health insurance. I know a lot of foreigners who can't afford it.

But OK, i'ts off-topic in this discussion. 

19 minutes ago, KhunSugar said:

I'm not so sure about that.

I agree for some countries where people used to pay private health insurance. I know a lot of foreigners who can't afford it.

But OK, i'ts off-topic in this discussion. 

we know some people don't have the funds or can't get insured.

but what i quoted you on , is your BS. but you left that out your reply. :coffee1:

BTW. how do the Thai's validate what your suggesting

below, documents in multiple different languages ?

and level of cover, what level of cover should it be ?

Proof of yearly payment of insurance should be mandatory for retirement visa holders

Edited by stanleycoin

1 hour ago, steve C said:

Your so called savings will be eaten up in one day in the ICU, then you will be like the other non insured . Please go fund me

What do you know about my founds? I also still have health care in my country of orign. 

After 60 my insurance policy double, after 70 it triples, and after first incident, they cancel you? 

Let me know how much you think a policy will cost you from age 50 - 80 years old? 

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, smedly said:

100% agree and is a major part of the problem, Thailand has a responsibility and ultimate liability if tourists are injured were it is not their fault, boating incidents - travel incidents etc were they have been injured as an innocent passenger

Thailand is not obliged to protect Farangs as long Thais are not protected by Farang governments. 

19 hours ago, racket said:

They should force the law on those who apply for Visas, since it would be impossible to enforce this for people with visa exempts, and I think most of them are already covered since it's usually a short trip of 30 days. The embassies could list this as a requirement for obtaining a VISA, just like they do when asking for bank statements, employer certificate, etc - that would be a better idea since this group of people are staying longer. 

and pray tell which insurance company would cover you?  The cost of long term travel insurance is not viable so are you going to use a Thai company.  That is not viable either for obvious reasons.  How will you make a claim?  An overseas company will delay any claim you make until you are near dead and a local company will delay it until you are dead.

5 minutes ago, Hummin said:

What do you know about my founds? I also still have health care in my country of orign. 

After 60 my insurance policy double, after 70 it triples, and after first incident, they cancel you? 

Let me know how much you think a policy will cost you from 50 - 80 years? 

Good for you if you have health care in your country of origin. I would probably get crippled in my country of origin (Germany), just another reason never to go back.

Are you aware how many Farangs (especially elderly Farangs) come here with severe diseases? 

smedly said:

100% agree and is a major part of the problem, Thailand has a responsibility and ultimate liability if tourists are injured were it is not their fault, boating incidents - travel incidents etc were they have been injured as an innocent passenger

you said

40 minutes ago, micmichd said:

Thailand is not obliged to protect Farangs as long Thais are not protected by Farang governments. 

You are talking about the heath and safety, we have acts for that in Falang land. and it covers all.

Thailand don't give a toss about it.

so your wrong 

Edited by stanleycoin
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

It would be absolutely impossible to enforce, unless people are prepared to wait, literally, hours whilst the I.O. checks the validity of the documentation given to them, showing insurance.

Nope, they may be thinking of scheme, similar to the one introduced for the O-X visa, where the insurance is issued by a Thai company. You could imagine new booths at Arrivals selling insurance stickers..

• Sad 1

Viewing this YouTube should be mandatory before voting in the poll.

Spoiler alert:  Experts say that it would require both a doctor AND a lawyer to fully understand the medical and legal aspects of a travel policy written by (I think) the #1 travel health insurance company for Canadians.  Lay people (that's 99% of us) are basically crossing our fingers and hoping they're covered.

Edited by impulse

5 minutes ago, stanleycoin said:

You are talking about the heath and safety, we have acts for that in Falang land.

and it covers all.

Thais don;t give a toss about it. so your wrong 

No idea which country you come from, but Thais who want a visa for Germany definitely need a private health insurance. No German government will pay a penny for them.

Edited by micmichd

Just now, micmichd said:

No idea which country you come from, but Thais who want a visa for Germany definitely need a private health insurance - or a private guarantor in Germany. 

Ok

That funny,  as it looked like,  you were trying to say that Thailand has no obligation to look after its tourists, like in the resent boat  accident and the like..

As falang land does not care as well.

were you doing that, or did i miss read your posts. ?

2 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Not correct. 

Pre-existing Condition: A stable condition can be insured. Typically a 6 month period. The pre-existing condition might be excluded until stable, but everything else will be covered.

The cost is  high because it reflects the risk associated with the person. If the person does not wish to insure than the person should be able to assume self financing of the risk. The reality is that these very sick people who collapse in Thailand expect others to care for them.  people have to accept responsibility for themselves.

Providing you survive , pre existing conditions such as cancer will not be considered for at least 5 yrs after diagnosis .. Any insurance that may and that is a very big may be offered during that time span will exclude any treatment , medication or repatriation for illness that is or can be attributed to a pre existing condition .. And if you've ever developed cancer you will understand the ramifications of that are many .. Get past the 5 yrs and if Insurance companies are still willing to insure they will heavily load premiums to unrealistic levels because of you're medical history .. Don't disagree with the point that if you can't get insurance or ins' is unacceptably expensive then you have to make provision yourself when abroad from you're home country .. Which is why whenever I'm in the Kingdom I ensure my Credit Card is at zero balance as in the event of having to visit a hosp that is the only insurance I've got .. As for trying to implement some form of mandatory insurance scheme for visitors here how's that going to work .? The whole idea sounds like a knee jerk reaction to incidents in which tourists here have been injured or died that has then resulted in Thailand having to pay out compensation .. And rather than accept the responsibilities that go with millions of visitors here and the money they bring the Thai's wish to shift the emphasis for Ins requirement to the visitor .. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, micmichd said:

Good for you if you have health care in your country of origin. I would probably get crippled in my country of origin (Germany), just another reason never to go back.

Are you aware how many Farangs (especially elderly Farangs) come here with severe diseases? 

Yes, I do, and how can they make a valid insurance if they already have known diseases? Im already marked myselves, so my health care plan would be limited as well, even Im healty and strong as never before. 

My best shot is still paying in to my country of orign, and still keep my social and health care there even I live here. 2. I have to maintain my founds and be carefull not wasting it on stupid investments. 

54 minutes ago, stanleycoin said:

we know some people don't have the funds or can't get insured.

but what i quoted you on , is your BS. but you left that out your reply. :coffee1:

BTW. how do the Thai's validate what your suggesting

below, documents in multiple different languages ?

and level of cover, what level of cover should it be ?

Simple. Make it compulsory and build it into your ticket price similar to the Airport charge.

Edited by Chelseafan
  • Like 1

Im  declining to answer this one , on the basis that  should Thai officialdom react  , nothing  sensible ever ensues  as one may predict in any other nation.

Thus , we will have Immigration Officials next setting up Insurance Companies , and sneering at our applications for extensions if we nominate AXA over "Uncle Somchais"  policies etc etc.

One , with a long background in 'logic' , simply has no way od predicting the things that will crash and burn if the Immigration Department is handed any more power...

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

Even if something like this were enforceable which to all intents and purposes it isnt where does it leave those who are unable to take out insurance due to pre existing conditions or to who the cost is so prohibitively high because of those conditions that it effectively becomes unobtainable .. 

Good point if over 65yo with many pre existing health issues the coverage would be nearly zero on any claim, and the cost unfeasable

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

Quite.

just a quick one, how many airlines are there out there ?

what about multiple destination tickets ?

What about Thailand recognising the insurance ?

Remember Thailand started this, what's in it for them , if it on the ticket price.

And that's  just a few things, there would be hundreds more.

Now if you had said,  Thailand would charge you the insurance on entry into Thailand, i would have taken you a bit more seriously

Duh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes silly me. :cheesy::stoner::cheesy:

Edited by stanleycoin
  • Like 1

As I said in the same way that they collect the Airport tax from ALL airlines.

Lets say they charge an extra 2000 baht on a ticket. The airlines pass that onto their customers and in turn pay the Thai Government  who would then have a fund for foreign travel insurance.

30 million visitors each year would generate 60b baht. Yes, silly you.

Edited by Chelseafan

Insurance companies are in the the business of taking your money and finding any way possible not to give any back. Legal scammers. I never take insurance and have paid the few hospital bills out of my pocket. If something serious happens I’ll cross that bridge.

21 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

It would be absolutely impossible to enforce, unless people are prepared to wait, literally, hours whilst the I.O. checks the validity of the documentation given to them, showing insurance.

Absolutely right. If they want to do this, it would make sense to restrict it to people applying for visas which, for most nationalities, are for longer term stays than transit visas. The embassies and consulates and Immigration town offices have time to review the insurance documents. Thais have to get medical insurance to visit Western countries, so on a reciprocal basis it would fair dos.  However, to make it more viable for long term stayers, they should come up with some type of insurance that allows foreigners to get treatment at private or government hospitals that is reasonably priced and doesn't cut people off at 70.

• Like 2