UK Labour's Corbyn trades barbs with Netanyahu on Mideast violence

webfact

13 hours ago, bristolboy said:

Doubt no more:

Returning to the UK in 1971, he worked as an official for the National Union of Tailors and Garment Workers.[14] Corbyn began a course in Trade Union Studies at North London Polytechnic but left after a year without a degree after a series of arguments with his tutors over the curriculum.[23][24] He worked as a trade union organiser for the National Union of Public Employees and Amalgamated Engineering and Electrical Union,[14][18][25] where his union was approached by Tony Benn and "encouraged ... to produce a blueprint for workers' control of British Leyland"; the plans did not proceed after Benn was moved to a different Department.[26]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Corbyn

Something sadly wrong with this post. British Leyland ceased to exist in 1986. AEEU wasn't formed until 1992.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Spidey said:

Something sadly wrong with this post. British Leyland ceased to exist in 1986. AEEU wasn't formed until 1992.

Formed by merging the Amalgamated Engineering Union (AEU) with the Electrical, Electronic, Telecommunications and Plumbing Union (EETPU)

I suspect he was an organizer for the former, which was active from 1968 to 1992. 

Just now, rwdrwdrwd said:

Formed by merging the Amalgamated Engineering Union (AEU) with the Electrical, Electronic, Telecommunications and Plumbing Union (EETPU)

I suspect he was an organizer for the former, which was active from 1968 to 1992. 

He's been a sitting MP since the mid 80's . I was a member of the EETPU and an organiser for AEEU. Don't think that he had involvement with either union. Both unions were right wing.

8 hours ago, Snow Leopard said:

Great man. He can do a terrorist salute but refuses to stand up for the national anthem from his own country. 

The Labour leader was pictured making the four-fingered Rabbiâah sign, a symbol of the Muslim Brotherhood

When Corbyn was asked to comment on this photo he said "it was my hand that did it,the rest of my body wasn`t involved".

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, dundee48 said:

When Corbyn was asked to comment on this photo he said "it was my hand that did it,the rest of my body wasn`t involved".

Yeah or "My intention was to show solidarity with the 1000 people murdered by the Egyptian military in Rabaa al-Adawiya Square on the 14th August 2013 ".

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

10 hours ago, Spidey said:

He's been a sitting MP since the mid 80's . I was a member of the EETPU and an organiser for AEEU. Don't think that he had involvement with either union. Both unions were right wing.

But the AEU / Leyland thing was the mid-late 70s, which correlates perfectly. Strongly suspect that the wikipedia article just is referencing the wrong name, AEEU (post merger) rather than AEU (pre merger). I'm no expert on trade unions, before my time, but the brief research I have done seems to indicate they had a heavy commie influence, rather than being right wing. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituaries/derek-robinson-giant-of-the-trades-union-movement-in-the-seventies-a8035526.html

52 minutes ago, rwdrwdrwd said:

But the AEU / Leyland thing was the mid-late 70s, which correlates perfectly. Strongly suspect that the wikipedia article just is referencing the wrong name, AEEU (post merger) rather than AEU (pre merger). I'm no expert on trade unions, before my time, but the brief research I have done seems to indicate they had a heavy commie influence, rather than being right wing. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituaries/derek-robinson-giant-of-the-trades-union-movement-in-the-seventies-a8035526.html

Yes AEU were very left wing, EETPU were very right wing ( had been thrown out of TUC and saw merger as a way back in). Derek Jackson, General Secretary of EETPU, became Gen Sec of AEEU thus taking the AEEU to the right.

In 2002 he was ousted by Derek Simpson in a night of the long knives and the union lurched back to the left.

After a couple of name changes, it merged with T&GWU and became Unite with Len McClusky at the helm and Britain's biggest union with a firm hold on Corbyn's chain.

Just goes to show, don'tr believe everything you read in Wikipedia.

Edited by Spidey

18 hours ago, Snow Leopard said:

I have no incomprehension at all?

40+ years doing exactly what?

The guy has spent his whole life doing exactly nothing except protesting against or complaining against this and that wrong cause. A total oxygen thief.

2 x Grade E - A Levels.

Kicked out of Trade Union Studies (Whatever that is) at Poly.

Does this qualify him to be the leader of the UK? He would be better leading North Korea. Oh sorry,  they have nuclear weapons so maybe not a good choice.

It's like that other Labour idiot Prescott. Being a shop steward and cook on a North Sea car ferry qualified him to be transport minister and deputy Prime Minister.

So you need to have gone to Eaton, Oxford and been a member of the Bullingdon Club to lead the country? That route has produced some of the biggest idiots this country has ever known, certainly not fit to lead a scout group, let alone the country.

Just think Cameron, Osbourne and the biggest idiot of them all, Boris Johnston.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2018 at 9:00 PM, bristolboy said:

Doubt no more:

Returning to the UK in 1971, he worked as an official for the National Union of Tailors and Garment Workers.[14] Corbyn began a course in Trade Union Studies at North London Polytechnic but left after a year without a degree after a series of arguments with his tutors over the curriculum.[23][24] He worked as a trade union organiser for the National Union of Public Employees and Amalgamated Engineering and Electrical Union,[14][18][25] where his union was approached by Tony Benn and "encouraged ... to produce a blueprint for workers' control of British Leyland"; the plans did not proceed after Benn was moved to a different Department.[26]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Corbyn

Thanks for making my point. His whole "career" is in politics, mostly low level politics, at that.

On 8/15/2018 at 10:02 AM, GroveHillWanderer said:

There are pictures of Corbyn with a wreath being laid in a location dedicated to those killed in the 1985 bombing in Tunis (including Tunisian civilians). This bombing was widely condemned at the time, including by the UN by a 14-0 vote of the UN Security Council.

There is no photo of him being involved with the laying of a separate wreath in a different location which was near the grave of a PLO member named Salah Khalaf who is believed by some (including Israel) to have been the mastermind behind the Black September group that carried out the 1972 Munich massacre. No member of the Black September group or anyone actually involved in the attack on the Munich Olympics is buried in Tunis.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/aug/14/labour-calls-claims-about-corbyn-palestinian-cemetery-visit-false

You and the rest of the Corbynistas can spin things all you like. Corbyn himself brought up the Black September connection, when he referenced Atef Bseiso. That you unequivocally claim no "member of the Black September group..." is buried in Tunis is not a fact, but rather you accepting the narrative suggested without question. Denying involvement or ties with Black September was pretty much routine considering its nature and activities.

There are differing accounts as to what Corbyn's "involvement" - also due to Corbyn himself changing his version over time.

Did Corbyn really honour terrorists behind the Munich massacre?

https://www.independent.co.uk/infact/jeremy-corbyn-munich-massacre-terrorists-anti-semitism-labour-palestinian-cemetery-a8489456.html

A year of denials: How Jeremy Corbyn changed his story over Munich terror tribute

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/08/13/year-denials-jeremy-corbyn-changed-story/

As said earlier, Corbyn's eagerness to express support for supposed "victims of terrorism" seems rather limited in scope. As in your own post, there's no reference whatsoever to the context of the Tunis attack, related events or to the fact that those targeted were not exactly civilians or innocent. The point made earlier remains - Corbyn is all too willing to identify and support those he sees as "victims" - as long as they fit his ideology and convictions. For the rest, not so much. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Spidey said:

So you need to have gone to Eaton, Oxford and been a member of the Bullingdon Club to lead the country? That route has produced some of the biggest idiots this country has ever known, certainly not fit to lead a scout group, let alone the country.

Having a good education, some real life experience and the capability to apply pragmatism when needed are not bad things. Your "argument" seems to be that there are some well-educated <deleted>, hence good education is not essential etc. Good luck with that one.

Incidentally, considering the OP's focus, and the background of Corbyn's "advisor" on these matters, your comment is rather amusing.

17 hours ago, Spidey said:

Maybe Corbyn managing to pass a course at North London Poly might have enhanced his CV a little. Anyway hardly a horny-handed son of toil however you want to spin it

• Like 2

On 8/14/2018 at 12:33 PM, Jonmarleesco said:

Perhaps Bibi should take a closer look at himself, never mind Israel. 

Just one correction/addition. Instead of  "never mind Israel", I would write "never mind Bibi's Israel"

• Like 2

9 hours ago, jinners said:

Working life. What working life? The guy is void of any work whatsoever. Unless you include his countless hours spent in Marxism, communist studies, IRA support, Hezbollah support, PLO friends are us, Union studies, I'm sure you could add a lot more to that than his 40 that you considered. Reminds me, I must find that list of 100 times Corbyn supported terror groups.

He was earning a paycheck. Somehow I doubt it was for the alleged activities that you enumerated.

• Sad 1

Just now, The manic said:

He went straight from student union politics to Parliament.  Never had a real job in the real world. He's a troskyite 

Considering what the world would be like without legislation, it's remarkable that people keep on insisting that a career in creating it is not part of the real world.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/16/2018 at 2:47 PM, Morch said:

Having a good education, some real life experience and the capability to apply pragmatism when needed are not bad things. Your "argument" seems to be that there are some well-educated <deleted>, hence good education is not essential etc. Good luck with that one.

Incidentally, considering the OP's focus, and the background of Corbyn's "advisor" on these matters, your comment is rather amusing.

There are many examples of very successful people that demonstrate it is indeed "not essential" to achieve good results in a formal education environment to excel.

Business:

• John D. Rockefeller (the richest man in history with inflation considered, left school before 16)
  • Li Ka Shing (23rd richest person in the world, left school aged 15)
  • Henry Ford (left school at 15)
  • Richard Branson (left school at 15) 
  • Ray Kroc  (left school before 15) 
  • Enzo Ferrari (no formal education)
  • Larry Ellison (dropped out of college (twice), the last time after one semester)
  • Steve Jobs (dropped out of college at 17)
  • (I leave Gates and Zuckerberg off, because whilst they did drop out, they got quite a way along and left directly to start businesses when it was clear they had traction.)

Authors:

• Mark Twain (left school at 12, later stated “Don't let your boy's schooling interfere with his education”) 
  • Charles Dickens (left school at 12)
  • William Shakespeare  (left school at 14)
  • William Faulkner (didn't graduate high school)

Politicians:

• Harry Truman (left school at 16)
  • Winston Churchill (did terribly in high school, failed the Sandhurst entrance exam twice and had to switch to his application to "Cavalry" cos it was easier though he did OK once he got in, for the 15 months he was there)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/23/2018 at 4:16 AM, The manic said:

Corbyn is a cynical parasite, a parasite on the body politic.  Despite his elitist private education he achieved little by way of educational qualifications and this mirrors his silly, adolescent Trotskyist politics. What is noticeable is he mistakes obstinacy for strength and appeasement for communication.  A vile supporter of terrorists and murderers. A joyless mediocrity. 

He's the son of a maths teacher and an electrical engineer, attended a tiny, low priced independent christian primary school and then a state grammar school from age 11.  Hardly an "elitist private education" - less "elitist" than anyone who sends their kids to private school in Thailand, I would say and certainly not even registering on the scale when compared to the educational opportunities offered to many of the politicians that tend to constitute the "other" side.

One cannot possibly fairly conflate attending "a small christian independent primary school" with "Eton".

Edited by rwdrwdrwd
  • Like 2