30 day visa exemption, 2 stamps per year “at land crossing” stipulation

From what I’ve read the 30 day visa exemption stamp is limited to 2 per calendar year “at land crossings”, but at airports the rules are more lenient and more at the discretion of the officer. For this year I have one 30 day stamp from the airport when I arrived and one 30 day stamp that I got at a land crossing at the Cambodian border. I am now on my way to Vientiane where I will spend a few days before returning to Thailand. Do you think I will have any problems getting a third 30 day stamp since it will technically only be my second land crossing stamp, the first one being from the airport? Or do you think the officer will not take into account that the first stamp is from the airport, and say I’ve already got my two for the year? I think I will try to ask them on my way out to see what they say but am curious if anyone has any insight into this.

Other potentially relevant information: I extended both stamps by 30 days at the immigration office and also the passport was new when I arrived so these are the only stamps in the entire passport. No other entries to Thailand or any other country.

will be no problem to come in again by land. they may mark a 2 in a circle next to the stamp but that's all. you won't be able to do another one (by land) until the new year. 

you could get a tourist visa in vientienne since you'll be there anyway but depends how long you plan on being in thailand as to whether it's worth it

Edited by Happy enough
  • Thanks 1

Three back to back visa exempt entries could spark the IO's interest, but you shouldn't have a problem getting a second land entry. They should ignore the air entry.

You would be best advised to get a Tourist Visa when in Vientiane.

1 hour ago, BkkWonTon said:

Other potentially relevant information: I extended both stamps by 30 days at the immigration office and also the passport was new when I arrived so these are the only stamps in the entire passport. No other entries to Thailand or any other country.

IO's at the border have full access to your previous history of entries, so if you have other entries they will know about them.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies.

I agree a tourist visa would be the best way to go, and I have done that in the past at the Thai consulate in Vientiane, but am returning home in 2 weeks so hoping to avoid that if possible this time around. Great to know the consensus thus far is that I should be ok, but naturally anything can happen. I am going to try to ask an officer about this issue on my way out of Thailand to confirm.

You will have no problem getting a visa exempt entry at Nong Khai on your way back in to Thailand. However, recognize that you may be creating problems for yourself down the road, if you intend spending significant time in Thailand in the future. If you need to return visa exempt by air in the future, frequent use of visa exempt entries previously raises the risk of a denied entry. Also, this will be your last visa exempt entry by land for this year. If you plan being back in Thailand this year, and potentially needing to travel out for a visa, it is good to have one of these land entry visa exempts in hand for use in emergencies.

5 hours ago, BkkWonTon said:

Thanks for the replies.

I agree a tourist visa would be the best way to go, and I have done that in the past at the Thai consulate in Vientiane, but am returning home in 2 weeks so hoping to avoid that if possible this time around. Great to know the consensus thus far is that I should be ok, but naturally anything can happen. I am going to try to ask an officer about this issue on my way out of Thailand to confirm.

I would have proof of the flight home... it may tip the scales in your favour.

To follow up, at the Nong Khai border I went into the “re-entry permit” office to the left of the entrance and asked one of the officers about this issue. He flipped through my passport and confirmed that I would be allowed one more land entry this year. 

• Like 1