Phuket 13 beaches get ‘star’ treatment from environment office

webfact

Phuket 13 beaches get ‘star’ treatment from environment office

By Kritsada Mueanhawong

S__30204040-1024x768-1.jpg

13 Phuket beaches have received certificates after passing environmental tests and qualification.  34 business operators in the Andaman provinces also received wastewater management certification.

Phuket Vice Governor Thawornwat Kongkaew yesterday (August 15) presented the certificates at Pearl Hotel in Phuket Town to local administrative organisations for ‘star’ beaches and business operators for good wastewater management.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/phuket-13-beaches-get-star-treatment-from-environment-office

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2018-08-17

one can only ''hope'' thais and tourists respect and value of what remains of the once amazing beaches of south Thailand...because Pattaya beach(which was never that great) is now, nothing more than a  boat launch/ cash cow, for the thai/chinese tour groups..

Edited by mok199
speliings
  • Like 1

If it wasn't so entirely and predictably a "We don't give a @#&* about our beaches or the environment just show me the $$"  it'd be funny.

Superb is crap at his job.

“There are 13 famous Phuket beaches which receive certificate in this project which are Mai Khao Beach, Nai Yang Beach, Gluay Beach at Koh Hei, Plab Pla Beach at Koh Racha, Nai Thon Beach, Bang Tao Beach, Surin Beach, Kamala Beach, Patong Beach, Tritrang Beach, Kata Beach, Karon Beach and Nai Harn Beach.” according to the Director of the Environment Office Region 15 Superb Chuenban.

2 hours ago, Old Croc said:

For readers who don't actually know the local geography, Karon Beach is 3 km long and several streams/canals exit into the ocean across it's sands.

With a mountainous/hilly Island in the tropics there will always be water flowing down to the sea in many places. When it hasn't rained in a while this water can be stagnant and blackened by vegetation, it doesn't necessarily mean rampant pollution.

However, I'm not trying to pretend there hasn't been problems with raw sewerage and other contaminants in these streams at various times. It is Thailand after all and environment concerns rarely raise a flicker of recognition with many of the residents of this country. 

But, I am saying dark waters flowing to the ocean can be normal, and doesn't necessarily indicate turds are going to be your swimming companions.

I do consider Karon to be a world class tourist beach outside of monsoon season.

karon-beach.jpg

I lived here in the 80s and 90s and never saw black water like this coming out on Karon beach, this is a great shame for a place that make soo much money from tourism.

Seems like a waste of time and paper.  These people should be proud to do their jobs, and do them well.  It's just sad that departments need congratulations and certificates to do what they are paid to do.  Let the tourists rate the beaches