Don't drink and drive

jonwilly

"When asked, no one ever drinks more than a couple of beers.

In this case, that couple of beers seems to have messed with his memory!"

No the figures are from his employer who said his workers had a couple of beers together before leaving their workplace.

john

• Haha 1

Nothing new here, and it should be 50000 thb + car seized.

And before people accuse me to be tough because I do not drink, I want to inform that I drink and take drug, BUT NOT ON THE ROADS. Fuxx to all the idiots who drive under  influence ! Monkeys !

Only thing i dont like about limits is that my dear old Mom was Drunk after a tiny drink of Alcohol, yet sailed through a test twice when she drove her over the limit Ladies home.!So Zero is the only safe way.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, jonwilly said:

"When asked, no one ever drinks more than a couple of beers.

In this case, that couple of beers seems to have messed with his memory!"

No the figures are from his employer who said his workers had a couple of beers together before leaving their workplace.

john

"

No; the figures are from his employer who said his workers had a couple of beers together before leaving their workplace.

"

I seemed to have missed that part ...

In any case, a couple of beers, 2 maybe 3, same old song, no matter who sings it.

• Like 1

America has continued to lower the allowable blood-alcohol level.  Even with very strict limits, the average male (175 pounds, 80 kg) does not fail after drinking 2 beers, and most do not fail after 3.  This comes from a friend who was a prosecutor who was required every year to take classes on updated laws and to imbibe and take a driving test on a driving course.  The number of people who have their lives ruined in the US by excessive fines (leading to foreclosure, lost job, basically debtors prison) is soaring.  There is a balance out there, which is why the penalties in the US become more and more severe the more you have had to drink.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, luther said:

America has continued to lower the allowable blood-alcohol level.  Even with very strict limits, the average male (175 pounds, 80 kg) does not fail after drinking 2 beers, and most do not fail after 3.  This comes from a friend who was a prosecutor who was required every year to take classes on updated laws and to imbibe and take a driving test on a driving course.  The number of people who have their lives ruined in the US by excessive fines (leading to foreclosure, lost job, basically debtors prison) is soaring.  There is a balance out there, which is why the penalties in the US become more and more severe the more you have had to drink.

The blood alcohol levels are set by the States, not "America". Long ago, ".10" was common. Now, ".08" is pretty much universal.

The fines are one thing. What really gets costly is the court battles, trying to beat the wrap. In many cases, the attorney fees and court costs far outweigh any fine. But, the battles continue in order to get the charges reduced, avoiding other consequences of a DUI conviction.

And then there is Sweden!
https://welcometosweden.blogspot.com/2009/05/drunk-driving-in-sweden.html

• Like 1

The original poster claimed the offender had 2 or 3 beers, but many commenters were recommending fines or punishments that seem over-the-top.  Many countries have stricter limits than the US. In NZ if you are under 20, any alcohol gets you in trouble, never mind .08.  In many states in the US the average cost of a DUI is over 300,000 baht or 10,000 dollars.  Drivers convicted are forced to pay court costs, lawyers, fines in several jurisdictions, and pay tuition for classes.  When I was NZ last year, it seemed the pendulum had swung too far.  In the cities, going out was not a problem, but in smaller towns, there were road blocks everywhere, especially outside the wineries.  There was zero public transportation and no Uber, etc.  Many many restaurants had given up and closed. 

Edited by luther
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Only thing i dont like about limits is that my dear old Mom was Drunk after a tiny drink of Alcohol, yet sailed through a test twice when she drove her over the limit Ladies home.!So Zero is the only safe way.

This just shows the difference in tolerance levels in different individuals. She could have been winding all over the road but a blood alcohol test would still be way under. By the same token an experienced and sensible driver who tolerates alcohol well may be over the limit, yet still much more fit to drive than many other people out on the roads. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

This just shows the difference in tolerance levels in different individuals. She could have been winding all over the road but a blood alcohol test would still be way under. By the same token an experienced and sensible driver who tolerates alcohol well may be over the limit, yet still much more fit to drive than many other people out on the roads. 

But then, who's to judge? Most drunk drivers will insist they are good to go. In fact, many will catch a buzz and feel like Lewis Hamilton! 

I have spent most of my life sober, hanging out with casual drinkers. Over many decades, I have only known one person who doesn't show any effects after just a couple drinks. Although these effects are quite subtle, they do indicate the people are under the influence.

Edited by Curt1591
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Curt1591 said:

But then, who's to judge? Most drunk drivers will insist they are good to go. In fact, many will catch a buzz and feel like Lewis Hamilton! 

This is true, and certainly many drivers get emboldened after a few drinks. I'm not advocating for flexibility on the legal limits, just commenting that in reality it's a very inexact science. 

• Like 1

My old Grandpa was safer when he had a few, drove much more cautiously,scared of getting caught. Sober and he drove to his rules. far faster than Law allowed. Worked for him, not  saying its right, but  applies to many i know today. Every ones different, not that the Control Freaks like the idea.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Loaded said:

I've never had an accident while drinking and driving. I am as safe as most sober drivers after a few beers.

I also understand that there are people who shouldn't ever consume alcohol and then drive.

There are also people (very old plus uncoordinated females) who are less skillful drivers than fit and healthy men.

That is a reality.

However, the law is 1 size fits all. I choose to ignore laws that unfairly discriminate against me.

Sent from my CPH1701 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Laws tend to be "1 size fits all".  The alternative is no law against drunk driving.  Is that your preference?

Some people get beat up for no good reason.  Others bring it on themselves.  Yet the law on assault and battery is 1 size fits all.  Do you think there should be no laws on assault and battery?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wump said:

"Drunk driver, drunk driver!". The BAC limit in England is 0.08. After three Leos an average guy would have 0.067. Hardly 'drunk'. And yes, I know the limit in Thailand is 0.05 like it is in most of Europe. Maybe he only had two Leos and was under the limit? Who knows. But calling for one year jail time is a bit over the top.

People in this forum should learn to differentiate between some guy having a few innocent beers after work and driving home and the nutters who take their car to night clubs, knowing full well that they will return home shitfaced from Red Label with a BAC of 0.2 up.

If you're suggesting a graduated penalty system, with penalties going up dramatically for higher BAC's, I agree.

However the best solution is to think ahead and plan some other transportation when you know you will be drinking.  I've never had a Grab taxi that cost more than a large Leo.

Edited by heybruce
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, heybruce said:

Laws tend to be "1 size fits all".  The alternative is no law against drunk driving.  Is that your preference?

Some people get beat up for no good reason.  Others bring it on themselves.  Yet the law on assault and battery is 1 size fits all.  Do you think there should be no laws on assault and battery?

Yeh, of course. Blokes fighting each other should never be the business of the police. Fortunately, the Thai police agree with me. They have no interest in this nonsense.

8 hours ago, elephant45 said:

It would appear to me that everyone driving here is drunk. They don't know how to drive...period.

Most of the Thais I know don't drink alcohol, them that do will not if they are driving. You are moving in the wrong circles.