Non-O (retirement): income requirements for my partner

The last few years our family (that is besides myself my Dutch wife and our child) has been living in Thailand, based on retirement. My wife was not yet 50 years old in those years, so the yearly extensions for my wife were based on dependency (we wrote "stay with husband" on the extension application). Now this fall, she will be 50 years old at the time we have to do our yearly extension (we will re-enter Thailand soon with renewed visa).

My question: as for the financial requirements, can we still proceed as we did before? That is to say, with an amount of at least 800,000 baht in our Thai bank account? Or, since my wife will be 50 years old herself this time, does this mean we need to double that amount to 800,000 baht each? 

She can get the same extension she has been getting. There is no requirement for her to get an extension based upon retirement when she turns 50 years old.

From clause 2.20 of the police order for extensions.

"(3) In the case of spouse, the relationship must be de jure and de facto:"

Thanks for your quick answer! I understand what you are saying, but how do I interpret what is written here then?

"Please take note, that if you and your wife are both aged 50 and above, each should meet the requirement, this requirement will not be presented as couples. Yet, if your wife has not reached the age of 50, she can act as your dependent."

http://www.thaiembassy.com/faq/retirement-requirements-with-a-wife.php

11 minutes ago, thuisinthailand said:

Thanks for your quick answer! I understand what you are saying, but how do I interpret what is written here then?

"Please take note, that if you and your wife are both aged 50 and above, each should meet the requirement, this requirement will not be presented as couples. Yet, if your wife has not reached the age of 50, she can act as your dependent."

http://www.thaiembassy.com/faq/retirement-requirements-with-a-wife.php

This is not an official site but one of a bunch of so-called "immigration lawyers" who clearly don't have a clue as to what they are talking about!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, OJAS said:

This is not an official site but one of a bunch of so-called "immigration lawyers" who clearly don't have a clue as to what they are talking about!

That might be so, but I just returned from the Royal Thai Consulate in Amsterdam, where I was refused a Non-Immigrant O visum for my wife, I was told I have to wait until she will be 50 years old. Luckily, that date is just before we will be flying to Bangkok, so we will probably get the Non-Immigrant visas before departure, but I am worrying now about what will happen when we show up for the extension at the Immigration office.

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Completely wrong info on a baiting unofficial website set up by a law firm.

Here is some official info. https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_20

Thanks again. But as I stated in my previous post, I was refused a Non-Immigrant O for my wife this morning at the Royal Thai Consulate in Amsterdam, as she is not yet 50 (but will be next month). Very strange, as we both got our Non-Immigrant O's from the same consulate a few years ago. I was told we both have to meet the financial requirements before we will get our visas.

2 minutes ago, thuisinthailand said:

That might be so, but I just returned from the Royal Thai Consulate in Amsterdam, where I was refused a Non-Immigrant O visum for my wife, I was told I have to wait until she will be 50 years old. Luckily, that date is just before we will be flying to Bangkok, so we will probably get the Non-Immigrant visas before departure, but I am worrying now about what will happen when we show up for the extension at the Immigration office.

That is not correct. You wife can get a non-o visa for her being a member of your family.

Shown on their website here. http://www.royalthaiconsulateamsterdam.nl/index.php/en/visa-service/non-immigrant-visa-english

image.png.d6160242916dcd45733e92cb875266a6.png

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That is not correct. You wife can get a non-o visa for her being a member of your family.

Shown on their website here. http://www.royalthaiconsulateamsterdam.nl/index.php/en/visa-service/non-immigrant-visa-english

Yes, I know. But it was refused nevertheless. Of course I can go back and complain about it, but it will be the same guy answering me. We are lucky that my wife will be 50 herself pretty soon (and before we will fly back to Thailand), but this is not correct, I agree.

7 minutes ago, thuisinthailand said:

Yes, I know. But it was refused nevertheless. Of course I can go back and complain about it, but it will be the same guy answering me. We are lucky that my wife will be 50 herself pretty soon (and before we will fly back to Thailand), but this is not correct, I agree.

You could contact the embassy at the Haque about it.

Shown here at number 1 but they left 15 off which is for others that a retirement extension is under. http://www.thaiembassy.org/hague/th/services/76474-Non-Immigrant-Visa-O-(others).html

Or she could get a tourist visa and then go to a nearby embassy or consulate to get the the non-o without a problem.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You could contact the embassy at the Haque about it.

Shown here at number 1 but they left 15 off which is for others that a retirement extension is under. http://www.thaiembassy.org/hague/th/services/76474-Non-Immigrant-Visa-O-(others).html

Or she could get a tourist visa and then go to a nearby embassy or consulate to get the the non-o without a problem.

Do you mean to get the tourist visa and convert it into a Non-O at the local immigration office?

1 minute ago, thuisinthailand said:

Do you mean to get the tourist visa and convert it into a Non-O at the local immigration office?

No 

I meant going of the country to get the non-o visa at nearby embassy or consulate.

Immigration does not do a conversion to a non immigrant visa for a family member of a person on an extension of stay based upon retirement.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

No 

I meant going of the country to get the non-o visa at nearby embassy or consulate.

Immigration does not do a conversion to a non immigrant visa for a family member of a person on an extension of stay based upon retirement.

I see. And if we would both enter on a tourist visa, could we both convert then into the non-O, or does then the same rule apply as you just explained?

4 minutes ago, thuisinthailand said:

I see. And if we would both enter on a tourist visa, could we both convert then into the non-O, or does then the same rule apply as you just explained?

Only you could change to a non immigrant visa at immigration since you will qualify for a extension of stay based upon retirement by showing the required financial proof.

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

not in Brussels last week. I have OA last year and my wife nonO multi. But this year they give her only METV or she must have 20000euro or income.. in Brussels You need 20000euro AND min 6500bht pension for OA

9 hours ago, vlaming said:

not in Brussels last week. I have OA last year and my wife nonO multi. But this year they give her only METV or she must have 20000euro or income.. in Brussels You need 20000euro AND min 6500bht pension for OA

You posted a topic about it earlier. If your wife had applied for a single entry visa instead of a multiple entry visa she probably would of gotten it. Also that your wife could of applied for an extension of stay that would of been equal to your permit to stay during the last 30 day of any of the 90 day entries from her visa. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/17/2018 at 2:31 PM, ubonjoe said:

Only you could change to a non immigrant visa at immigration since you will qualify for a extension of stay based upon retirement by showing the required financial proof.

One more question about this @ubonjoe. When converting the tourist into a non-immigrant (based on retirement), I understand you need to show the required financial proof. Is that the 'financial proof' the same as the 800,000 baht requirement I suppose? And if so, can that financial proof be on a foreign (Dutch) bank account, or does it have to be in Thailand on a Thai bank account already, just as when one applies for the extension of stay based on retirement?

8 hours ago, thuisinthailand said:

When converting the tourist into a non-immigrant (based on retirement), I understand you need to show the required financial proof. Is that the 'financial proof' the same as the 800,000 baht requirement I suppose? And if so, can that financial proof be on a foreign (Dutch) bank account, or does it have to be in Thailand on a Thai bank account already, just as when one applies for the extension of stay based on retirement?

To apply for a change of visa status to get a non immigrant visa (category O) you would need 800k baht in a Thai bank in your name only on the date of application or proof of 65k baht income or a combination of the 2 totaling 800k baht.

Requirements are listed here. https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_80