New Years Eve in Pattaya

7of9rocks

This will be the first year that I celebrate New Years Eve in Pattaya and although it's a bit early, I'm curious to know (from those who know) where would be a good place to ring in the New Year.    For me, seeing the fireworks isn't important.     What's most important to me is a place with a good atmosphere.    Of course, in a place the size of Pattaya, there must be lots of options so I'll just add that when I ring in the New Year in Bangkok, it's usually at a place like Hillary with live music and freelancers looking to have a good time.   Thanks!

4 hours ago, AlexCanada said:

Since you mentioned having some 'girls' around maybe a place like Windmill on Walking Street will be the type of 'good atmosphere' you are seeking.  

No.It is hemetically sealed  and punters do not share or chat. A go go is the worst place to be.

Only time now for a very short comment: I should have mentioned that I am not at all interested in a place where I'll be surrounded by a ton of people.    In Bangkok, I'd avoid Central World for that very reason.    Remember Bangkok Beat?    Small venue, live music and freelancers.    Everyone's there just to have a good time and ring in the New Year with a group countdown.

Will follow up with searches as suggested and comment later.

P.S.   The Hilton rooftop sounds great but I'd like to go a little  wild that night; a place where I can drink too much but all in good fun

?

26 minutes ago, 7of9rocks said:

Only time now for a very short comment: I should have mentioned that I am not at all interested in a place where I'll be surrounded by a ton of people.    In Bangkok, I'd avoid Central World for that very reason.    Remember Bangkok Beat?    Small venue, live music and freelancers.    Everyone's there just to have a good time and ring in the New Year with a group countdown.

Will follow up with searches as suggested and comment later.

P.S.   The Hilton rooftop sounds great but I'd like to go a little  wild that night; a place where I can drink too much but all in good fun

?

The Kinaree, a G club is 12 till 8 so you can choose a location to see in the new year a few hours later at midnight. Its GVFM.

Edited by The manic

5 hours ago, lapd said:

Christmas/New Years is the absolute worst time to be in Pattaya imo.  People who live there leave or stay far away from the tourist areas.

Yeah, I can believe that.   They same about Europeans when the Americans go over during the summers.     Can't blame them at all.   When I ring in the New Year come December, I hope to have a great, memorable time without being an ugly tourist....

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/19/2018 at 1:13 AM, 7of9rocks said:

Yeah, I can believe that.   They same about Europeans when the Americans go over during the summers.     Can't blame them at all.   When I ring in the New Year come December, I hope to have a great, memorable time without being an ugly tourist....

It's not even that.  You become just another piece of meat in a feeding frenzy. Hassle factor goes up.  Crowds everywhere.  Reservations disappear. Hotel and restaurant price go up 50% or more.  Unless that is your idea of a fun vacation.  It's just not a good time to be here imo. 

Edited by lapd

29 minutes ago, lapd said:

It's not even that.  You become just another piece of meat in a feeding frenzy. Hassle factor goes up.  Crowds everywhere.  Reservations disappear. Hotel and restaurant price go up 50% or more.  Unless that is your idea of a fun vacation.  It's just not a good time to be here imo. 

Hmmmm.   I've celebrated a handful of New Years Eves in Bangkok and they were pretty stress free for me.    I'd never go, for example, to a place like Central World where thousands gather and there's gridlock everywhere.    I just try to find a small place with live music, some freelancers and a happy atmosphere.    This year will be the first time I give it a go in Pattaya so we'll see.   I suspect it'll be okay mainly because I will not be in a very popular place and so no huge crowds to contend with.

4 hours ago, 7of9rocks said:

Hmmmm.   I've celebrated a handful of New Years Eves in Bangkok and they were pretty stress free for me.    I'd never go, for example, to a place like Central World where thousands gather and there's gridlock everywhere.    I just try to find a small place with live music, some freelancers and a happy atmosphere.    This year will be the first time I give it a go in Pattaya so we'll see.   I suspect it'll be okay mainly because I will not be in a very popular place and so no huge crowds to contend with.

Bangkok is a whole other ball game.  The entire town doesn't fill up with tourists taking every available hotel room like in Pattaya.  Anyways, you obviously don't live here.  Everyone who has been here for for awhile typically leaves at that time or stays far away from the tourist areas.   

Edited by lapd
  • Like 1

They did very good firework displays before the king died.

It's a matter of planning how to get into town as it get's busy with traffic.

Pattaya Beer Garden could be a great location but you'd need to stake your early doors I reckon.

A lot of the big hotels want a 2 night min stay & impose a compulsory dinner/dance (buffet) for NYE at lumpy prices (obviously you don't have to attend but you will have to pay for it all the same)

They did very good firework displays before the king died.

It's a matter of planning how to get into town as it get's busy with traffic.

Pattaya Beer Garden could be a great location but you'd need to stake your early doors I reckon.

A lot of the big hotels want a 2 night min stay & impose a compulsory dinner/dance (buffet) for NYE at lumpy prices (obviously you don't have to attend but you will have to pay for it all the same)

Hmmmm...   I've almost got my dates fixed so when they are, i'll try to book a hotel online and then i'll find out if the rates are crazy high.   Since I'll be looking at small hotels, perhaps I'll get lucky and miss all the crap that goes on.    Many thanks for the info!

On 8/19/2018 at 12:55 PM, lapd said:

Christmas/New Years is the absolute worst time to be in Pattaya imo.  People who live there leave or stay far away from the tourist areas.

maybe correct--its far too crowded..there are many FAR  better gogo bars than windmill--its crowded-even in  low season..the hilton would be nice for something a bit more'classy'

there are several good 'live music' bars in soi diana---

i like all the extra decorations and lighting at the xmas/new year season

16 hours ago, 7of9rocks said:

Hmmmm...   I've almost got my dates fixed so when they are, i'll try to book a hotel online and then i'll find out if the rates are crazy high.   Since I'll be looking at small hotels, perhaps I'll get lucky and miss all the crap that goes on.    Many thanks for the info!

In my wilder days before I bought a home and moved here my friends and I stayed at the Penthouse Hotel just off Beach Road and 2  blocks from Walking Street. Pool , theme type rooms with stripper poles , restaurant , ect.

https://www.penthousehotel.com/

Ha!     That's hilarious!    A room with a stripper pole!

A place with live music is just right for me; I don't mind not seeing the fireworks at all; personally, I'd rather be in a place with a party atmosphere and a group countdown.     I need to find Soi Diana on a map somewhere.    At this time, the names have no meaning to me and I have no clue where it is in relation to Walking Street...

Thanks for all the good info!

On 8/30/2018 at 1:18 PM, 7of9rocks said:

A place with live music is just right for me; I don't mind not seeing the fireworks at all; personally, I'd rather be in a place with a party atmosphere and a group countdown.     I need to find Soi Diana on a map somewhere.    At this time, the names have no meaning to me and I have no clue where it is in relation to Walking Street...

Some distance away. I'd think Walking Street would be better for live music alone, the music bars have proper bands unlike pin the smaller sois... depends what you want though. Assuming you don't actually arrive on the 31st, check out the various areas on previous evenings and see which appeal. Soi LK Metro is certainly worth a look and it's off Soi Diana, but the main action is most likely around WS. 

On 9/1/2018 at 1:32 PM, lamyai3 said:

Some distance away. I'd think Walking Street would be better for live music alone, the music bars have proper bands unlike pin the smaller sois... depends what you want though. Assuming you don't actually arrive on the 31st, check out the various areas on previous evenings and see which appeal. Soi LK Metro is certainly worth a look and it's off Soi Diana, but the main action is most likely around WS. 

At the moment, I'm pretty sure I'll avoid Walking Street.     I'm not into big crowds.    When I partied on New Year's Eve in Bangkok, I used to go to a small live music bar called Bangkok Beat.    Okay live music, lots of freelancers, comfortable atmosphere.    The live music bars along LK Metro sound just about right for me.   

On 9/5/2018 at 2:50 AM, lapd said:

If you don't like big crowds then super high season Pattaya is the LAST place you should be.

I know what you're saying but it won't be difficult to find a bar with live music that isn't insanely crowded.     thankfully, there are always places off the beaten path that'll do just fine   ?

At NYE we will have a small party at home instead of going out and only staying in the neigborhood, plenty of firework to see around midnight anyway. But we live here so been there done that already.