I was in an accident in Bangkok

scoutman360

Walking the street of Bangkok, I crossed the road and was hit by a motorbike. I don't think they were speeding. I was partly to blame for not seeing them, but the rest of traffic has stopped due to backed up traffic, so I started to cross. This however, was a zebra stripe where I was crossing. The front tire hit my leg, which was strong enough to stop his bike and he and his passenger fell to the ground when the bike dropped. I am left with a bruised leg, which will heal, but he is left with a scratched bike which will not heal. He said some expletives in Thai to my date, (which I didn't ask to be translated). In the end, we each brushed ourselves off and went on our way.

My question. If this had escalated and the police came, who would be for the worse? It seems by law, it was a zebra stripe and he should have stopped. I could also be blamed for not seeing him. He and his mate were not wearing helmets, and I think the headlight was out too. I am not interested in arm chair comedians here. Does anyone have a similar experience?

According to Thai law, drivers are liable to a maximum fine of Bt1,000 if they fail to stop their vehicles for pedestrians at marked crossings. In the events of a road accident taking place, drivers involved must compensate victims or their families. In the case of death, reckless drivers are liable to up to 10 years in jail and a fine of up to Bt20,000. 
In the event of serious injuries, reckless drivers are liable to up to three years in jail and/or a maximum fine of Bt6,000.

Marked pedestrian crossings in Thailand are only for artistic artwork and serve no other purpose.

Hope you learnt from your experience, only cross roadways when you deem it to be absolutely safe, neglect using any form of pedestrian right-away.

In the LOS from my experience there is no such thing as a pedestrian right-away.

Those pesky Thai drivers (bikes and cars) view you as fair game once you walk onto their play area.

Now, you might appreciate why the road toll and accidents in Thailand are one of the worst in the world; Dumbos on the roads!    

On 8/19/2018 at 12:18 AM, Gulfsailor said:
According to Thai law, drivers are liable to a maximum fine of Bt1,000 if they fail to stop their vehicles for pedestrians at marked crossings. In the events of a road accident taking place, drivers involved must compensate victims or their families. In the case of death, reckless drivers are liable to up to 10 years in jail and a fine of up to Bt20,000. 
In the event of serious injuries, reckless drivers are liable to up to three years in jail and/or a maximum fine of Bt6,000.

Which section is this? I can only find that traffic must slow near a pedestrian crossing, overtaking is forbidden, and traffic must stop if there is a red light. 

13 hours ago, Thian said:

Thailand should make big warningsigns at their airports where they  warn tourists that zebra's mean nothing at all in Thailand. 

Oh and also that there is no police on the roads..

I am reminded of the unfortunate Russian person that was killed almost a year ago while crossing on the Zebra crossing outside the Ambassador hotel at Na Jomtien ..may they RIP.

It has since been blacked out. A sad reminder of the loss of a life....I pass the spot regularly and think about them every time.

PS. It was a motorbike that hit the now deceased.

Sound like another something similar to what happen to me up on Soi 3 in Pattaya only the gal on the bike ran me over because she was not looking at the road.....of course I was to blame....lol.....the hotel staff quickly got it sorted before I was scraped off of the pavement....otherwise I am sure I would still be in the monkey house on Soi 9 for being the "cause" of the accident?  In short, it is a buyer beware when venturing out and about in Thailand.....just be on high alert at all time, even when on the footpath.....TIT=This Is Thailand.

If you are "not interested in arm chair comedians here" you've come to the wrong place (except we're on bar stools).

1.  Zebra crossings mean diddly squit here, along with all the other road markings and signposts

2.  Watch where you're bloody going: describe "partly" to blame

3.  You are lucky him and his army of new best friends didn't beat the crap out of you and extort several thousand baht to fix his (probably) already scratched bike

4.  Your 'date'  would have joined in

5.  If the police did turn up; you're a falang that just knocked some kid off his bike.  Have a guess.

OP you speak about law, why?

It does not matter what the law says, if police are involved, it is what they say at the time is the law.

Think yourself very lucky you were not seriously injured, forget about it move on with your life.

That is advice not from an armchair comedian, but a wheelchair bound 1 due to a crazy Thai driver.

34 minutes ago, Cranky said:

If you are "not interested in arm chair comedians here" you've come to the wrong place (except we're on bar stools).

1.  Zebra crossings mean diddly squit here, along with all the other road markings and signposts

2.  Watch where you're bloody going: describe "partly" to blame

3.  You are lucky him and his army of new best friends didn't beat the crap out of you and extort several thousand baht to fix his (probably) already scratched bike

4.  Your 'date'  would have joined in

5.  If the police did turn up; you're a falang that just knocked some kid off his bike.  Have a guess.

Bullshit, l m tired of this kind of Barstool poetry.

2 hours ago, chicowoodduck said:

Sound like another something similar to what happen to me up on Soi 3 in Pattaya only the gal on the bike ran me over because she was not looking at the road.....of course I was to blame....lol.....the hotel staff quickly got it sorted before I was scraped off of the pavement....otherwise I am sure I would still be in the monkey house on Soi 9 for being the "cause" of the accident?  In short, it is a buyer beware when venturing out and about in Thailand.....just be on high alert at all time, even when on the footpath.....TIT=This Is Thailand.

yes because thais ride their motorbikes on pavements which is ILLEGAL !!!

2 hours ago, AlQaholic said:

After some discussions back and forth between the Thai parties involved and the Police, with a lot of mentioning of the word "farang", it is always the farangs fault.

That's why I always have 5 GoPro cameras attached to me whilst walking around in Thailand ! They not gonna catch me out.....

Nice thing in Los Angeles County California if walkimg and step off 

the curb to cross the street cars must stop or face a steep fine...

nere nope you’re on your own some want to be first at everything..

first in line Etc etc etc... Ame first society and it happens quite a few countries 

3 hours ago, dotpoom said:

I am reminded of the unfortunate Russian person that was killed almost a year ago while crossing on the Zebra crossing outside the Ambassador hotel at Na Jomtien ..may they RIP.

It has since been blacked out. A sad reminder of the loss of a life....I pass the spot regularly and think about them every time.

PS. It was a motorbike that hit the now deceased.

There have been a couple of Russian deaths, also other nationalities at that intersection.

Since the OP was in a marked pedestrian crossing- he may have had the right of way in crossing and the motorcyclist  should have been at fault. However, the police could have easily ruled the other way .

When crossing Sukhumvit Road- and traffic is stopping-  walk across the first lane- stop and make sure no motorcycles or cars  are approaching; do the same for each lane. There are many instances where the cyclist is speeding, not paying attention or just doesn't care.

Just the other day I was making a U Tor in my truck and as I made the turn on a green arrow- another truck was coming the wrong way as I made my turn- Scared the heck out of me and we missed each other by inches. Pure madness on these roads.

It does not matter whose fault it is. You need to protect yourself all time. If you are dead or paralyzed nothing will bring you back to what you were.

The law is there, but not only it is not enforced but also will be ignored and you need to run after with steel shoes and then what ?

You were absolutely lucky this time.

Keep your eyes open. 

Lol nice small fines 

2 minutes ago, The Theory said:

It does not matter whose fault it is. You need to protect yourself all time. If you are dead or paralyzed nothing will bring you back to what you were.

The law is there, but not only it is not enforced but also will be ignored and you need to run after with steel shoes and then what ?

You were absolutely lucky this time.

Keep your eyes open. 

All true.  The cemeteries (and burners) are full of people who were not at fault

19 hours ago, Crossy said:

Buzz up to BKK or even Ayutthaya, plenty of temples to examine.

Book a van tour somewhere, Kanchanaburi is a good trip but maybe a bit far from Patters.

Book a VAN tour? Not if you value your life 

18 hours ago, Thian said:

Thailand should make big warningsigns at their airports where they  warn tourists that zebra's mean nothing at all in Thailand. 

There is when tea money is required.

As others have said, the zebra crossing have no practical meaning here - but technically I think the bike was overtaking (or undertaking) on the crossing, as the OP mentioned that other traffic was stationary?  So legally the bike rider was at fault.  If you had gone to the police, and stayed calm and explained the situation (via translation if needed), I think they would have supported you, especially if you were not trying to get compensation from the rider.  Then the police would 'fine' the rider.

If you were in a car and had a collision with a bike, then it could get complicated (and expensive), but as a pedestrian you would have the police on your side. 

And when walking in Thailand, the only direction where a bike will not come at you, is from below - so you need 360 degree vision.

On 8/18/2018 at 11:45 PM, scoutman360 said:

My question. If this had escalated and the police came, who would be for the worse? It seems by law, it was a zebra stripe and he should have stopped. I could also be blamed for not seeing him. He and his mate were not wearing helmets, and I think the headlight was out too. I am not interested in arm chair comedians here. Does anyone have a similar experience?

No comedy. As others have stated, you would be talking with a police officer, and they would determine "the law". I have seen this situation (dealing with an officer in a dispute with a Thai) go both ways - the officer being rational and fair, as well as the officer looking to cash in along with the Thai person. In either event, you speak only and directly to the officer. You remain calm and polite. You mention that you have just a little money on your person, and the ATM card is back in the room. You express your sincere apologies and hopes that the little money in your pocket could resolve everything to everyone's satisfaction.

That said, if anyone is going to the hospital, or there is major damage to a vehicle, it becomes a very different situation that must be handled with care.

Good information and very clear.

I just wonder how many:

- Police are fully aware of the provisions of that law.

- How many Thai drivers (all types of vehicles, with and without license) are fully aware of the provisions of that law.

18 hours ago, Thian said:

I'd agree with posting the warnings, as I'd agree with educating visitors of safety issues wherever there are tourists.  But keep in mind zebra crossings mean different things in different countries.  Even in different states. 

For example, in California, cars must stop for pedestrians in zebra crosswalks.  (I've seen pedestrians abuse the crap out of that right of way- to the point of almost causing accidents when a driver has to lay on the brakes for someone who jumps out into the crosswalk with no warning)  In Texas, a zebra crosswalk means you're allowed to cross there, but it's the traffic signal that gives pedestrians the right of way.   If you cross in the middle of a block without a zebra, or cross a zebra against the light, you can get a ticket for jaywalking.

Archived