Bangkok: Retirement Extension Renewal requirements

Hello to all.

I'm renewing my retirement visa extension with wife (non thai) dependent.

First extension was in Samui.

Did address change to Bangkok  and 90day reporting in Bangkok twice.

I have all the usual requirements from first extension in order, original marriage cert etc.

I want to know if I need photos, hand drawn maps, anything else? from my serviced apt?

I'm hoping to avoid surprises?.

Big thanks to everyone here.?

16 minutes ago, Srinivas said:

I want to know if I need photos, hand drawn maps, anything else? from my serviced apt?

No you will not need them.

Also no medical certificate that Samui may of asked for.

If using the 800k baht option the bank letter can be no older than the day before the date you apply and bank book updated on the date you apply. Easy to do both on the same day at Chaengwattana immigration since there are branches of most banks on the ground floor of the building.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2018 at 2:46 PM, ubonjoe said:

No you will not need them.

Also no medical certificate that Samui may of asked for.

If using the 800k baht option the bank letter can be no older than the day before the date you apply and bank book updated on the date you apply. Easy to do both on the same day at Chaengwattana immigration since there are branches of most banks on the ground floor of the building.

hi ubonjoe, i guess you've already read todays update post on this topic.

I'm posting link here in case someone wander to this thread.

Bangkok visa extention based on retirement requirement for Aug.2018

yes, several folks who've gone to BKK Immigration lately for retirement extensions have reported, including me in the thread above, that they've been asked to provide a map to their home. Member Pib had the same exact experience at CW a day earlier.

No big deal. The extensions officer yesterday handed my wife a blank sheet of paper and asked her to draw a map showing where our home is.  But I saved my wife from having to do that, as I had pre-prepared map in my backup documents folder that they also were happy to accept.

The officer handling my paperwork said the home map deal is going to be an ongoing requirement at BKK for extensions....  No explanation of why, or if the maps request is also going to be something expanded to other Immigration offices.

As for the home photos issue, that's usually something that's requested with marriage to a Thai based marriage extensions of stay. Never heard of home photos being requested in connection with retirement extensions of stay.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

yes, several folks who've gone to BKK Immigration lately for retirement extensions have reported, including me in the thread above, that they've been asked to provide a map to their home. Member Pib had the same exact experience at CW a day earlier.

No big deal. The extensions officer yesterday handed my wife a blank sheet of paper and asked her to draw a map showing where our home is.  But I saved my wife from having to do that, as a I had pre-prepared map in my backup documents folder that they also were happy to accept.

The officer handling my paperwork said the home map deal is going to be an ongoing requirement at BKK for extensions....  No explanation of why, or if the maps request is also going to be something expanded to other Immigration offices.

Thanks for the very helpful post. I'll be going next week and hope there is no change from your experience. Cheers.

10 minutes ago, Srinivas said:

Thanks for the very helpful post. I'll be going next week and hope there is no change from your experience. Cheers.

I'd expect the summary and details I posted in yesterday's thread should be a pretty good basis for what Immigration at BKK CW is likely to expect.

But, it's also always good to be prepared, a lot of us bring extra things that we usually never need or use (like the home map, until yesterday).  Better to be prepared than get caught short by a request for something you don't have and have to make a return visit.

I always bring things like a copy of my home lease agreement, utility bills showing my name and home address, the home map, and monthly pension-bank statements to back up my consulate income affidavit. And I always scan the forum here in the days weeks before I go to CW just to see if any new wrinkles have cropped up since my last visit.

BTW, especially if this is going to be your first extension at BKK after having done elsewhere before, having docs with you that document and confirm your current residence location is probably a good safeguard, including your recent 90-day reporting slips, just as a precaution.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1

On 8/24/2018 at 3:57 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I'd expect the summary and details I posted in yesterday's thread should be a pretty good basis for what Immigration at BKK CW is likely to expect.

But, it's also always good to be prepared, a lot of us bring extra things that we usually never need or use (like the home map, until yesterday).  Better to be prepared than get caught short by a request for something you don't have and have to make a return visit.

I always bring things like a copy of my home lease agreement, utility bills showing my name and home address, the home map, and monthly pension-bank statements to back up my consulate income affidavit. And I always scan the forum here in the days weeks before I go to CW just to see if any new wrinkles have cropped up since my last visit.

BTW, especially if this is going to be your first extension at BKK after having done elsewhere before, having docs with you that document and confirm your current residence location is probably a good safeguard, including your recent 90-day reporting slips, just as a precaution.

Update: Aug 30 2018

All went well. Only one small thing I over looked

I had an address change earlier in the year and was told I needed to provide a copy of the receipt with the extension application. While IO was checking the papers I was able to run down and make a copy.

• Thanks 1

I think I read it's possible to do this up to 45 days early at Chaengwattana? My first extension is due soon, permission to stay on my non o/a visa expires in mid October and I'd like to apply in September - will the 12 months extension be counted from the date of the application, or 12 months from the mid October date stamped in my passport? 

I have UK embassy income letter, passport, TM7 - do they need photos showing address, map etc?

Will there be time if I go in the afternoon to get the retirement extension same day? This is probably easier to arrange than in the morning. Thanks. 

1 hour ago, lamyai3 said:

I think I read it's possible to do this up to 45 days early at Chaengwattana? My first extension is due soon, permission to stay on my non o/a visa expires in mid October and I'd like to apply in September - will the 12 months extension be counted from the date of the application, or 12 months from the mid October date stamped in my passport? 

I have UK embassy income letter, passport, TM7 - do they need photos showing address, map etc?

Will there be time if I go in the afternoon to get the retirement extension same day? This is probably easier to arrange than in the morning. Thanks. 

Here is an excellent and recent post with all details. 

I just did mine as well. 

Map print out as well as hand draw.

All copies in portrait mode.

If any address change, copy of that receipt. 

Check out the link.

I think at Cwattana, you can do it at 45 days. Double check as im not 100% 

Extension is from day of expiration, not from day of extension.

Edited by Srinivas
Extra info
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

My first extension is due soon, permission to stay on my non o/a visa expires in mid October and I'd like to apply in September - will the 12 months extension be counted from the date of the application, or 12 months from the mid October date stamped in my passport? 

You can apply for an extension of stay up to 45 days early a Chaeng Wattana. You extension will start from the date your current permit to stay ends not the date you apply for the extension.

I assume your one year permit to stay from a OA visa is ending not the visa itself that is expiring. If your visa is expiring you could go out and back to get a new one year entry before it expires.

Visas cannot be extended. 

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You can apply for an extension of stay up to 45 days early a Chaeng Wattana. You extension will start from the date your current permit to stay ends not the date you apply for the extension.

I assume your one year permit to stay from a OA visa is ending not the visa itself that is expiring. If your visa is expiring you could go out and back to get a new one year entry before it expires.

Visas cannot be extended. 

Thanks, yes visa was obtained October 2016, I'm currently on the one year entry stamp obtained just before the visa expired in October 2017, good for another six weeks. Given that I can apply early without losing any days, I'll definitely get onto it this month.