You are not logged in ▶️ Click to sign-up or login ×
ASEANNOW Official TikTok account is now LIVE! -Follow Us! ×

Using PC type keycboard & mouse on a samsung tablet

The Deerhunter

Wife has an 3 month old S3 Samsung  tablet,  10 or 11 inch I think.  She wants to do a cash book for her business and I have started to draw it up in M.S. Excel like I have for recording my own affairs cash flow back home.    But it would be much easier for her if she could use  KB & mouse instead of the touch screen.  I have nice USB KB's, mice and USB hubs,  both powered & un-powered, sitting around waiting for a job.  I even have a new unused Logitech bluetooth KB & mouse set up, complete with its own B.T. USB dongle.    What is the easiest way to set this up?  I have never tried anything like this before.  I have had a bit of a fiddle but drew a blank.  She could use my  PC but we use separate offices for our business.

11 hours ago, JaiMaai said:

Should work find. Do you have an OTG cable or converter? If you plug the USB dongle into the charging port, it "should" just work.

Sent from my ZX81 using a dial-up modem.

I have several USB hubs but they all are standard USB and the samuung S3 only has mini USB, so I have to use a converter cable.  Can all USB hubs be used as and OTG unit?  I never thought there was a distinction.  Is a special unit required for Android devices.  I was just using stuff i used on my Windows Notebook, recently deceased.

16 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

I even have a new unused Logitech bluetooth KB & mouse set up, complete with its own B.T. USB dongle.    What is the easiest way to set this up?

I would be inclined to try that one first. Your tablet probably has BT built-in, so you wont need the dongle. Just power the keyboard/mouse up and put them into BT pairing mode, then turn on BT on the tablet and they should discover each other.

This video gives you in idea but of course the procedure may be slightly different depending on your particular equipment. Read the keyboard set-up guide.

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

I would be inclined to try that one first. Your tablet probably has BT built-in, so you wont need the dongle. Just power the keyboard/mouse up and put them into BT pairing mode, then turn on BT on the tablet and they should discover each other.

This video gives you in idea but of course the procedure may be slightly different depending on your particular equipment. Read the keyboard set-up guide.

Ah!  The things in life that should be so simple.   The Logitech MK220 KB & Mouse combo has no switches at all.  

https://www.logitech.com/assets/41520/wireless-combo-mk220-qsg.pdf

The Samsung S3 only has one USB C, so I have to use a converter cable.   It actually appears to have what look like a couple of Mini USB ports but I think they must be magnetic connectors as they are blocked off.   It came with a quick Start guide and no other instructions.  There is a 177 page on-line manual!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can all USB hubs be used as an OTG unit?  I never thought there was a distinction.  Is a special unit required for Android devices.  I was just using the stuff I used on my Windows Notebook, recently deceased.

Turned on (read as "installed batteries") the Logitecg duo then the Samsung, later.  Twice.  It cannot see them. 

She had left the thing turned on and it tels me it is down to 4% charge.  REALLY good for L-ion batteries!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I will charge it up and play again later.  If you have any more bright ideas, post them and I will look again after we get some juice in it.

6 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

Ah!  The things in life that should be so simple.   The Logitech MK220 KB & Mouse combo has no switches at all.  

https://www.logitech.com/assets/41520/wireless-combo-mk220-qsg.pdf

That isnt a normal Bluetooth keyboard: it is pre-paired to the USB dongle it comes with and probably cant be used for what you  want.

A simple USB-C/USB adaptor should allow you to use one of the other keyboards you mention, though not all types will work with Android.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/ugreen-usb-c-type-c-usb-30-otg-i7881013-s9845649.html

And there is always a possibility that the Logitech keyboard you mention will in fact work with your Android tablet with that adaptor. For 120B is seems worth trying and you would be very unlucky if none of them work with Android.

17 hours ago, KittenKong said:

That isnt a normal Bluetooth keyboard: it is pre-paired to the USB dongle it comes with and probably cant be used for what you  want.

A simple USB-C/USB adaptor should allow you to use one of the other keyboards you mention, though not all types will work with Android.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/ugreen-usb-c-type-c-usb-30-otg-i7881013-s9845649.html

And there is always a possibility that the Logitech keyboard you mention will in fact work with your Android tablet with that adaptor. For 120B is seems worth trying and you would be very unlucky if none of them work with Android.

Will do but I will have to look through Lazada because the one you copied was Male USB-C to Female USB-3  I need a Male USB-C to Female USB or preferably 2 female USB so we can plug the mouse and the keyboard. I If I cannot find one with two Female USB's, could the OTG device then be connected to an unpowered octopus hub to cover all connection contingencies? 

This looks the ticket.  Theoretically everything I need. And only 122.4 baht.   Am I good to go with this one?  I am REALLY new to OTG.  Until yesterday, I had never seen the term to notice it before.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/c-otg-hub-4-usb-pc-intl-i115443263-s119717471.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.19.4bab3d53O4IAeD&search=1

1 hour ago, The Deerhunter said:

Will do but I will have to look through Lazada because the one you copied was Male USB-C to Female USB-3  I need a Male USB-C to Female USB or preferably 2 female USB so we can plug the mouse and the keyboard. I If I cannot find one with two Female USB's, could the OTG device then be connected to an unpowered octopus hub to cover all connection contingencies? 

An unpowered hub for two USB devices? Maybe, maybe not. Of course if your Logitech works you wont need a hub at all.

1 hour ago, The Deerhunter said:

This looks the ticket.  Theoretically everything I need. And only 122.4 baht.   Am I good to go with this one?  I am REALLY new to OTG.  Until yesterday, I had never seen the term to notice it before.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/c-otg-hub-4-usb-pc-intl-i115443263-s119717471.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.19.4bab3d53O4IAeD&search=1

Yes, that's fine. Mouse and keyboard use little power. You will be fine.

N.b.

There are v2.0 and v3.0 USB . 3.0 is much faster and better for when copying files. For mouse and keyboard use it doesn't matter.

And you will need to disconnect it when charging.

See its description warning.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2018 at 2:04 PM, stud858 said:

Yes, that's fine. Mouse and keyboard use little power. You will be fine.

N.b.

There are v2.0 and v3.0 USB . 3.0 is much faster and better for when copying files. For mouse and keyboard use it doesn't matter.

And you will need to disconnect it when charging.

See its description warning.

My OTG dongle arrived two days ago.  Busy for two days away from the farm.  Plugged it in and USB keyboard came straight up.  The first mouse I tried didn't work but I have not even tried other mice because the Logitech bluetooth dongle plugged into one USB hole on the OTG and the Logitech combo works fine.   Thanks for the heads up on OTG.  Somehow I never knew about it.  It's a whole new world out there, changing nearly daily, thanks to Mr Moore at H.P. all those years ago.  (Moore's Law)

Archived