Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts has allowed work on the White House East Wing ballroom project to continue, issuing an administrative stay of a lower court order. Roberts announced on Friday that the stay would pause the effect of the ruling later in the day, when it was due to halt most above-ground construction. The order is intended to be brief and temporary, and it does not address the substance of President Donald Trump’s appeal or provide reasons for granting additional time before the Supreme Court reaches a final decision. With the stay in place, construction can proceed without interruption on the ballroom project, which the administration says is part of a “military complex” and is about 65% complete. Officials have estimated the project will cost $400 million. Roberts’ Limited StayThe Supreme Court chief justice’s order consists of two sentences and is designed to hold the lower court’s injunction in abeyance. It does not comment on whether Trump’s appeal should succeed, nor does it explain why the Supreme Court needs more time before issuing a formal ruling. Law On Federal Property Versus Executive Residence WorksThe case turns on federal authority over government property. Under federal law, Congress has a role in overseeing federal property, including land and buildings under the White House. The law, however, has also long recognised presidents’ ability to carry out “care, maintenance, repair, alteration, refurbishment, and improvement” works relating to the Executive Residence. Trump began demolition of the East Wing in late 2025 to make way for the planned ballroom. A lower court later concluded that Trump had overstepped his authority by demolishing the East Wing and starting construction on the 90,000-square-foot structure without congressional approval. An appeals court, in a divided decision earlier this month, upheld that finding. The National Trust for Historic Preservation, which brought the lawsuit, argues that the president must be held to federal requirements governing changes to federal property. It maintains that the work cannot proceed without the authorisation required by law. The administration, in contrast, has said the planned upgrades are within the president’s prerogative and should not be subject to judicial review when tied to national security. National Security And The Emergency Operations CentreTrump has also argued that the ballroom is not simply an addition to the building but is instead a critical military site. He pointed to the Presidential Emergency Operations Center (PEOC), which has been based under the East Wing of the White House since the 1940s. Earlier this week, Trump was asked by a reporter what he would do if the Supreme Court ultimately ruled against him in the ballroom case. He said: “Well, we hope that doesn’t happen. I can’t imagine it happening.” Trump later reiterated the administration’s position that the project is connected to military needs. He described how the “military came” to see him before work began, saying they told him they had been trying for years to make use of an opportunity, adding that the concept “started off as a ballroom”. Appeals Court Decision Stands While Supreme Court ConsidersAs the Supreme Court considers the appeal, Roberts’ administrative stay keeps the lower court’s stop order from taking effect. The case remains pending, with the Supreme Court yet to issue a decision on whether Trump’s actions were authorised under the federal framework governing the White House and the Executive Residence. Join the discussion? 22 August 2026
View full article