Jump to content

ON/OFF noise


janclaes47

Recommended Posts

I have one of those infamous on/off's while I sit at my pc.

 

PC restarts - fans stop - clocks everywhere reset etc.

 

As it happens i hear a sound in the distance as if a breaker opens. The breaker box is 2 rooms away but doors are open all the time.

 

So I get up to look at the breaker box, but nothing has opened.

 

I recall that I hear such a sound usually in similar events.

 

Rara, where the sound come from?

Link to post
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

What's AVR?

 

Automatic Voltage Regulator/Stabilizer

 

Most folks will have to bring poor voltage (<200v) up to 220v.  In my case, I have to bring down high voltage (>240v) to, well my unit bangs it to 218v.  Only purpose is to keep electronic things from getting sick and/or dying. 

 

BTW:  You have electric clocks?  I really can't recall ever seeing that in Thailand.  ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, janclaes47 said:

The breakers that are open are so on purpose, not because they went off.

I see parts of other boxes near your breaker board, what's in them?

 

Try to post a photo of the entire installation.

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I see parts of other boxes near your breaker board, what's in them?

 

Try to post a photo of the entire installation.

The box you don't see is just an extension of the lower box. There are only some more MCB's inside, and the rails from both boxes are inter connected.

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

Automatic Voltage Regulator/Stabilizer

 

Most folks will have to bring poor voltage (<200v) up to 220v.  In my case, I have to bring down high voltage (>240v) to, well my unit bangs it to 218v.  Only purpose is to keep electronic things from getting sick and/or dying. 

 

BTW:  You have electric clocks?  I really can't recall ever seeing that in Thailand.  ?

I don't have AVR.

 

My electric clocks are actually the clock on kitchen appliances etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

The box you don't see is just an extension of the lower box. There are only some more MCB's inside, and the rails from both boxes are inter connected.

If that's the case then your "on/off noise" is coming from elsewhere, another room perhaps?

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

If that's the case then your "on/off noise" is coming from elsewhere, another room perhaps?

Could be, but the only thing between is the kitchen.

 

Do the surge protectors make a noise?

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, janclaes47 said:

Do the surge protectors make a noise?

No.

 

Is this installation in a house? Where is the incoming supply?

 

Is there a main breaker you can turn off and listen for the noise when you do?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a house installation, and the main breaker is outside about 15 meters distance.

 

If I turn off the main breaker there is obviously no electric, so it can't go on/off :-)

 

The electric on/off is caused by the utility network that goes down for a single second, and the noise is only when that happens.

 

All circuits are affected by the powercut, but some appliances respond faster than others.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, janclaes47 said:

If I turn off the main breaker there is obviously no electric, so it can't go on/off ?

Well, that was Crossy's point - to simulate a mains power out.  But, if 15m away, you obviously won't be hearing much from there.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, bankruatsteve said:

Well, that was Crossy's point - to simulate a mains power out.  But, if 15m away, you obviously won't be hearing much from there.

Sorry went over my head,

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

You'll be needing an assistant to operate the main breaker (simulating a power cut) whilst you listen for the noise and isolate the source.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

just a wild guess..... but sometimes there will be a quick ( one to two second) shut-off/ back on) at

my property which i am pretty sure is caused by electric supplier doing a switch, or something.

Right back on but tv, computor, microwave clock, etc all have to reset..

This only happens occasionally ( a few times in a week).....so if it happens a lot more than that than

maybe something on your end

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like the normal bad switching of power (here in Bangkok most often on weekends and holidays) where no sync is performed so have microsecond to several seconds outage when new supply is connected.  Seems to happen mostly when the "B" team is working.  Indeed will reset most clocks and cause computer reboot or worse.  A huge incentive to have a UPS.

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Sounds like the normal bad switching of power

Yes, but out OP is asking about a "sound" that occurs when these brief interruptions occur.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...