Nida Poll: Nearly three quarters of Thais agree with legalizing ganja for medical use

webfact

Nida Poll: Nearly three quarters of Thais agree with legalizing ganja for medical use

8pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

A poll conducted throughout Thailand earlier this month has suggested that Thai people are generally in favor of marijuana being made legal for medical use.

The "Nida Poll" asked 1,250 people on August 16th and 17th in the poll titled: "Ganja: Useful or punishable".

Some 68% of the population said they had heard reports about the usefulness of using ganja in medical matters.

And 72% said it should be legal for medical reasons. People said there were many useful ways in which the drug could be prescribed by doctors as had been shown abroad.

However, 25% disagreed saying legalizing the drug would have detrimental knock on effects that would be uncontrollable. This may encourage general drug use and lead to more crime.

The rest did not offer an opinion or did not know how to respond.

Some 53% thought that hospitals were the best way to have the drug controlled and administered.

A 29% group called for police to enforce the law, 19% called for better education.

Nearly 9% called for the laws in Thailand to be modified along the lines of laws in foreign countries.

The poll did not appear to ask outright whether ganja should be legalized for recreational use as has happened in some other countries and States around the world in recent years.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-08-20

Whoo Hoo!

Perhaps there is hope for the Thai people after all.

Yes, it is a good idea; there will be fewer people in prison, less domestic violence, less drunk-driving, etc, etc, etc.

And, once it is okayed for medical use, then true legalization is simply a matter of time.

Thailand- this is your opportunity to ACTUALLY become a 'hub' of something; legalization is coming all over the world and whomever is first in SE Asia will reap a windfall.

Happy days...

Canada has finally understood... just remains to see how they will put it into effect. And it won't just be for medical purposes but for recreation too... as far as I am concerned no one should be branded a criminal for smoking pot. I don't smoke, but I also don't judge.

28 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Whoo Hoo!

Yes, it is a good idea; there will be fewer people in prison, less domestic violence, less drunk-driving, etc, etc, etc.

And, once it is okayed for medical use, then true legalization is simply a matter of time.

Thailand- this is your opportunity to ACTUALLY become a 'hub' of something; legalization is coming all over the world and whomever is first in SE Asia will reap a windfall.

Happy days...

The taxation possibilities are impressive. Ganja taxes could fund many public works projects.

3 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Whoo Hoo!

Happy days...

I am more than 70 and still in good health and I hope it will legal if ever I have a cancer and need pain killers

59 minutes ago, BEngBKK said:

Do People know that the plant that is grown for medical use do not have THC ?

Meaning... No fun.....

Wrong, are you talking about CBD oil, get informed, Please, think before posting, fo some research, I have a medical card from California , you ho go store and buy what you want

I am all for the complete legalization of all drugs. Everything, from heroin on down the list. Think about it. The demand from brain dead Hollywood actors would immediately drop, as it would no longer be dangerous to acquire. and therefore no longer fashionable to have and use. And the Mexican and Colombian cartels would disappear in a months time. The war on drugs has been a dismal failure, millions have ended up in prison for non violent crimes, and yet nothing has improved. The biggest issue in the US right now, is with legal drugs. The opioid epidemic. 

Assume this debate will go the same way as the gay marriage debate. It will happen, but some countries will cling to the 'War on drugs' as the only solution. Personal choice is working in other countries and there is no debate to be had IMHO.

Interesting to see that 29% think the BiB should control it (unsure if that is the current or future law from the article). But I'm sure they would like that tea money stream!

5 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

"For medical use", that means the BiB can still shake you down, but for not as much perhaps.  The junta has been chomping at the bit to grow it.   Thai farmers should be allowed to grow it to service debts and finance their other crops. 

5 hours ago, Daryle said:

Assume this debate will go the same way as the gay marriage debate. It will happen, but some countries will cling to the 'War on drugs' as the only solution. Personal choice is working in other countries and there is no debate to be had IMHO.

Interesting to see that 29% think the BiB should control it (unsure if that is the current or future law from the article). But I'm sure they would like that tea money stream!

There should not be any debate !

People should be allowed to do WHAT THEY WANT as soon as it doesn't hurt others !

In my country millions of idiots where against gay marriage, I wished that they all die in a terrorist attack ! I am not gay and do not take drug, but as soon as people don't fuxx on the road or drive high, THEY SHOULD DO WHAT THEY WANT !

Pollsters too chickenshit to ask the the 64 trillion baht question. 

Surely ever growing mountains of illicit drugs seized should make us all wonder, who is buying, because the stereotype 'junkies' should be littering the sidewalks at this rate,  and they're all but invisible...

So,  who's buying?

Most of 'Middle Thailand' by the look of it. 

19 hours ago, webfact said:

However, 25% disagreed saying legalizing the drug would have detrimental knock on effects that would be uncontrollable. This may encourage general drug use and lead to more crime

A common misconception among those who can't think outside the box.

Archived