AIS SIM card good after 3 months?

soistalker

First check the current status.

Are you booked to AIS network (see symbol on phone)?

Then try these codes (followed by dial key):

*545#          (shows that you are on AIS and your number)

*121#          (balance and validity)

*121*3#      (type of internet package if any)

*121*32#   (remaining volume/duration for internet package if any)

If you get a proper response to *121# you can surely top-up.

Top-up: many thousands of self-service machines outside convenience/mom&pop stores (maybe more than 10000 nationwide).

They cost a fee of a few Baht (not added to the credit).

They usually have a touchscreen with English menu.

Have change at hand.

As far as I know you can still top-up at Family Mart(?) (NOT at 7-Eleven !).

If you have a Thai bank ATM card you can also top-up the ATM (fighting through the menu).

Of course online top-up via internet banking or visiting AIS service center is free of fees.

? mine was the number stolen after I had been in Europe for 3 1/2 months, although my credit expired 6 months later. I called AIS and the hotline told me, they can restore the number or pay my credit back, I would have 1 weeks time to pop up in a AIS-store to do so. I skipped it, the next AIS-store was in Chantaburi, not worth the trip from Koh Chang. 

The AIS-buddy shop here on Koh Chang confirmed that they do it after the number hadn't been used for 3 months.

AIS, never ever again.

1 hour ago, Prometheus33 said:

I have been using the same AIS SIM for the past 4 years without any hitch.

Top up online using debit / credit card (you will need to download "My AIS" app from AIS website)  or top up at Family Mart .. 

Or via internet banking.

My AIS (PrePaid) SIM was valid for 3 months when I got it, every individual top-up (even 10 THB) extends it for 1 month, so last time I was in Bangkok I topped up 5 x 100 THB & so added another 5 months validity to the 6 weeks that was left to run.

I believe the maximum is 12 months so If I'd have done another 6-7 top-ups, it wouldn't have been extended any more than the 12 months

I have had a AIS 12 Call for over 10 years with the same number.

I think part of my success comes being in Thailand 4 time a year, once about every 3 months and use and add a load to the phone/SIM every trip.

I pretty much have a full year left on the SIM when I leave each trip. A few trips I had add a few 10 baht loads to the phone to extend it for an extra few months.

As soon as the plane touches down at BKK, I do the *121# send and I have the same load and time period as when I left on the previous trip. When I arrive I also stop at the AIS desk at the airport and get the minimum data plan for my 3 week stay.

LeoTex

20 hours ago, Prometheus33 said:

I have been using the same AIS SIM for the past 4 years without any hitch.

Top up online using debit / credit card (you will need to download "My AIS" app from AIS website)  or top up at Family Mart .. 

I found that it has to be a Thai card - my UK ones (neither Visa credit card nor MasterCard debit card) didn't work.

Additionally, my SCB so-called "MasterCard" isn't actually a credit card so I set up an instruction from my SCB account using SCB's "Easy Channel" from the "Payments & E-bill" tab on the online banking. That works perfectly.

if in bankgok, i've noticed some AIS (and True) kiosk/machines in MRT stations.  i know there is one in sukhumvit station.  and i'm pretty sure i saw one in chatuchak station.  you can use these to top up.  i used to go to family mart but i go by alot of AIS shops (with kiosks in front) and i've been topping up there more often than family mart.  emporium, emquartier, and terminal 21 all have them.

my friend just got a SIM and wondered how to keep his number valid.  as noted in post #10, it depends on how many top ups you do, not the amount topped up.  the lady we talked with at AIS said she would do it for us at the kiosk, my friend already had 4 months and she said she'd take 160thb from him, change to all 20thb notes, and do eight 20thb deposits to make it good for a full year.

1 hour ago, buick said:

my friend just got a SIM and wondered how to keep his number valid.  as noted in post #10, it depends on how many top ups you do, not the amount topped up.  the lady we talked with at AIS said she would do it for us at the kiosk, my friend already had 4 months and she said she'd take 160thb from him, change to all 20thb notes, and do eight 20thb deposits to make it good for a full year.

That's what I do except i use the machines outside 7/11 or Family Mart.

When I'm in Thailand and using the phone, i keep topping up until I've got a 12 month validity period which is the maximum.

When I leave Thailand, on the last day I top up again so I've got a year from then until it expires. Every so often, in UK I switch on, let it roam, and do a balance check - that is probably unnecessary but it's free and assures me that it still works. It also exercises the battery and lets me update the Android apps.

Archived