Breakfast Buffet.

NoshowJones

250 baht ain't bad for a good breakfast buffet...what's the Nana Hotel buffet got that's nice? the hotel where I usually stay when in town is near there...they ain't got no buffet and I usually get an omelet or some noodles from room service for breakfast...

35 minutes ago, tutsiwarrior said:

250 baht ain't bad for a good breakfast buffet...what's the Nana Hotel buffet got that's nice? the hotel where I usually stay when in town is near there...they ain't got no buffet and I usually get an omelet or some noodles from room service for breakfast...

I always try to get a buffet as I only like the normal Farang food, and I can pick what I want without worrying about greens, mushrooms,, tomatoes, onions, black puddings, Thai foods etc. and no rows with assistants in the likes of MacDonalds who don't understand when I say "no salad".

54 minutes ago, tutsiwarrior said:

I've been there a few times in the past as a non-guest to eat their buffet breakfast.

Regarding your comment, it is/was 250b for a buffet breakfast. Whether it's "good" or not is a different question and depends on one's definition of "good".

4 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

well who has got the best then?

In my view, there's quite a divergence in Bangkok in terms of breakfast buffets between the costly upper scale hotel options (approaching 1,000 baht or more) and the low priced budget/economy hotel options (in the say 250-400 baht range). And there's plenty of choices in each of those categories.

What's lacking, IMHO, are nearly the same range of breakfast buffet options in the middle sector, places that have a good balance of price AND quality in terms of breakfast buffets.

The one I can think of off the top of my head is the Monsoon Cafe breakfast buffet in the Adelphi Suites Hotel on Suk Sui 8 (their buffet is open to non-guests, of course), where the food quality and selection is pretty good but the price modest, around 300 baht if memory serves. And much better by comparison than the Nana Hotel.

If the wife and I want to eat a buffet breakfast in BKK, which we don't often do these days, we'll usually look around Eatigo and find one of the nicer hotels that may have a 40-50% discount at times off their regular/posted rates.

For breakfasts these days, I'm more of a fan of regular restaurants that have quite good breakfast entrees/menus but are not buffets -- Dean & Deluca, International House of Pancakes, Clinton Street Baking Co., Chu Chocolate Cafe, Cafe Tartine, Crepes and Co., and some others.

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I've been there a few times in the past as a non-guest to eat their buffet breakfast.

Regarding your comment, it is/was 250b for a buffet breakfast. Whether it's "good" or not is a different question and depends on one's definition of "good".

well John, you know, did you like it? was it good value for money? you're usually hip to these things in BKK and folks would like to know yer opinion...how would the Nana Hotel breakfast buffet compare to the Marriott or to the Landmark? the old hotel cafe useta have nice burgers, chili, beef stew and etc...

a 4 star business hotel buffet would offer miso soup and sushi and all kindsa freshly baked bread (hummous, tabouleh and etc and fresh arabic bread in the ME), an omelet chef to prepare eggs to order would also be required...tons of fresh sliced fruit of course and excellent coffee...and a counter fulla western cheeses and cold cuts so ye can take a couple of sandwiches away fer yer lunch...friendly to the business traveler sorta like (although most folks staying at the Nana Hotel would be in the 'business' of gettin' laid and havin' a party)

where I usually stay at the Dynasty Grande on soi 6 has got reasonably priced good food but it's all a la carte either downstairs in the Bloom cafe (nice outdoor terrace) or room service (same menu)...be nice to have a reasonably priced breakfast buffet available nearby for some variety...

edit: last time I was at the Dynasty Grande some idiot tried to mince beef by hand for the bolognaise and it was horrible, pure gristle musta been local beef...

12 minutes ago, tutsiwarrior said:

well John, you know, did you like it? was it good value for money? you're usually hip to these things in BKK and folks would like to know yer opinion...how would the Nana Hotel breakfast buffet compare to the Marriott or to the Landmark? the old hotel cafe useta have nice burgers, chili, beef stew and etc...

a 4 star business hotel buffet would offer miso soup and sushi and all kindsa freshly baked bread (hummous, tabouleh and etc and fresh arabic bread in the ME), an omelet chef to prepare eggs to order would also be required...tons of fresh sliced fruit of course and excellent coffee...and a counter fulla western cheeses and cold cuts so ye can take a couple of sandwiches away fer yer lunch...friendly to the business traveler sorta like (although most folks staying at the Nana Hotel would be in the 'business' of gettin' laid and havin' a party)

where I usually stay at the Dynasty Grande on soi 6 has got reasonably priced good food but it's all a la a carte either downstairs in the Bloom cafe (nice outdoor terrace) or room service (same menu)...be nice to have a reasonably priced breakfast buffet available nearby for some variety...

Tutsi, I haven't been to Nana Hotel's breakfast buffet for at least a year or so. But in the times I was there, it was a decent, basic, no frills breakfast buffet for a very affordable price.

Didn't see any roaches scurrying about. Not much facility atmosphere. I don't think they had hash browns. But as I recall, they did have some fruit juices (the carton type), some eggs maybe in the rolled shape of a Thai style omelet, some breakfast meats, toast, maybe some fried potatoes, some typical Thai cut fresh fruits, I think some small pancakes, coffee or hot tea, of course. And I don't recall much beyond that.

For the price, I had absolutely nothing to complain about. But these days in my advancing years, I tend to get a bit more picky and if I'm going to pay to go out for a buffet breakfast, I tend to expect somethings a bit better than the bare basics. But that's my judgment, and may not be shared by others. Some old-timers may enjoy the old-time appeal of the Nana Hotel. I'm just not one of them.

Another low-cost option nearby, by the way, is the Ibis Hotel on Soi 4 and their breakfast buffet for a similar price. A bit cheerier and more modern atmosphere, and as I recall, they add some non breakfast items to their breakfast offerings.

PS - Forget to also answer, no, the Nana Hotel breakfast buffet would NOT compare in any regard to the breakfasts offered at places like the Marriott or the Landmark. Not in quality or range of selections. But also not in terms of the much higher prices of the latter two places. Totally different league.

Right now, if I want to eat a breakfast I'll really enjoy, I'll head over to the Dean & Deluca branch at Central Embassy and order their banana and blueberry pancakes dish for 300b or so. The only downside being, they don't open AFAIK until the mall does at 10 am or so.

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Another low-cost option nearby, by the way, is the Ibis Hotel and their breakfast buffet for a similar price. A bit cheerier and more modern atmosphere, and as I recall, they add some non breakfast items to their breakfast offerings.

this is good to know! the Ibis is just around the corner on soi 4 from from the Dynasty Grande on soi 6...

BTW, if anyone else had any breakfast buffet suggestions for central BKK that are say no higher than 500 baht per person, I'd much like to hear them.

I haven't been eating out for breakfast lately as much as I used to, so it's entirely possible there are some reasonably priced/good quality breakfast buffets out there that I'm not aware of...

But, I should go back and recap, from what I know, if I had to pick the top breakfast buffet choice I'm aware of for a modest price, it would be the Monsoon Cafe offering for about 300b on Sukhumvit Soi 8 around the corner from the Nana BTS station.

BTW, this place nearby is not a buffet, but it's kind of similar in terms of giving you menu choice options, at a very reasonable price. And it probably would appeal to the pubby types among us.

Kiwi Sports Pub and Grill, newly relocated off the main Sukhumvit Soi 8 to a new location 100 or so meters away on the first side soi of Suk Soi 8, the same one where the recently revived Snapper New Zealand is also now located. (And no, NOT the 2nd side soi where Lolitas is located).

1512408870_2018-08-2422_57_16-.jpg.9bed9d7916bc168a7e2b55d6ffcca6c2.jpg

7 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

BTW, this place nearby is not a buffet, but it's kind of similar in terms of giving you menu choice options, at a very reasonable price. And it probably would appeal to the pubby types among us.

Kiwi Sports Pub and Grill, newly relocated off the main Sukhumvit Soi 8 to a new location 100 or so meters away on the first side soi of Suk Soi 8, the same one where the recently revived Snapper New Zealand is also now located. (And no, NOT the 2nd side soi where Lolitas is located).

1512408870_2018-08-2422_57_16-.jpg.9bed9d7916bc168a7e2b55d6ffcca6c2.jpg

also good to know as from soi 6 one can reach soi 8 thru the passageway that connects to the subsoi that lolitas is on and serving breakfast until 12pm...John, for the benefit of us yanks did you try the hash browns there?

9 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Problem is that all the good brekkies are down in falang land, across the street from me all I can get is Jok

another thai brekkie option is khaao man gai (boiled chicken breast on rice) that you can doctor up with the condiments on the table and the small bowl of chicken broth that it's served with is a nice touch...

10 minutes ago, tutsiwarrior said:

also good to know as from soi 6 one can reach soi 8 thru the passageway that connects to the subsoi that lolitas is on and serving breakfast until 12pm...John, for the benefit of us yanks did you try the hash browns there?

If you mean at the Kiwi Pub, as I recall, it was the standard triangle shaped, frozen packaged, preformed hash brown wedge.

Yup, you can take the Lolitas pass thru to travel between Soi 8 and Soi 6 or 4, etc.

12 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Right now near Ari

Hmmm.... a challenge. I'm trying to think if I've ever breakfasted up that way.

There are supposed to be a lot of new restaurants in that area these days with decent food.... Just don't know about breakfast buffets there off the cuff.

24 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Right now near Ari

This isn't a buffet, but it sounds good for breakfast there. Certainly an alternative to jok:

https://bk.asia-city.com/restaurants/bangkok-restaurant-reviews/bar-storia-del-caffe-ari

Taking over the ground floor of Calm Spa, Bar Storia serves breakfasts of cheese and bell pepper omelet with Cumberland sausage, back bacon, mushrooms, potatoes and tomatoes (B250) as well as salads (B195-230), pasta (B210-280) and meaty dishes like roast chicken (B380) and pork chop (B390). 

Unlike other branches (there's another on Sukhumvit Soi 57), they serve craft beer both in bottles and on tap.

Much better value than the hotel breakfast buffets are the pub breakfasts. Several do early bird deals before 11am or midday, often around 99 baht such as the one in Hanrahans in soi 4. Generally much better quality bacon and sausages than the hotel buffets, tea or coffee often included. 

8 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

Much better value than the hotel breakfast buffets are the pub breakfasts. Several do early bird deals before 11am or midday, often around 99 baht such as the one in Hanrahans in soi 4. Generally much better quality bacon and sausages than the hotel buffets, tea or coffee often included. 

Brekkie is the best reason to live in the Slumkavit area. 

On 8/24/2018 at 8:11 PM, tutsiwarrior said:

I do not eat noodles or Thai food at all.

Archived