International Drivers License for US License

Number 6

We are going to NZ and need to rent a car. I'll be using my US drs license since it seems easier to book online (insurance) and I won't have to field a number of questions perhaps even be denied at pick up.

Will I be given an international drs license on my US license at the transport office or what's the drama?

Thanks

30 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Will I be given an international drs license on my US license at the transport office or what's the drama? 

No.

Precondition for an international driving permit issued by the DLT is a 5 yr Thai driving license.

And before you ask: getting a Thai DL based on US license is possible but you would start with a temporary (2yr) type.

12 hours ago, Number 6 said:

If you mean the transport office in the US, then maybe (i don't know how to get an IDP in the US)

If you mean the transport office in Thailand, then for sure not, why would they give you an international driving permit based on a foreign license?

15 hours ago, Number 6 said:

We are going to NZ and need to rent a car. I'll be using my US drs license since it seems easier to book online (insurance) and I won't have to field a number of questions perhaps even be denied at pick up.

google 3 secs.

You can only drive vehicles in New Zealand that your current and valid overseas license allows you to in your own country.

Sorry, I hold a 5yr Thai drivers license, presumably can get an idp on that.

I hold a US license as well. Both are valid.

But judging by the terse response above, do I interpret 'my own country' as in a country I at least hold a passport?

Why would they give me one based on my US license? Why not? Not to be flippant but it's just a bs addendum. As I recall they are only good for a matter of months as well.

16 hours ago, Number 6 said:

But judging by the terse response above, do I interpret 'my own country' as in a country I at least hold a passport?

Why would they give me one based on my US license? Why not? Not to be flippant but it's just a bs addendum. As I recall they are only good for a matter of months as well.

First of all, most likely you don't need an IDP.

Secondly, no, Thai DLT will only issue IDP based on Thai license, which seems very self evident.

Thirdly, why ask for an IDP based on your US ;license in stead of Thai?

Sorry, your post does not make much sense to me.

21 hours ago, Number 6 said:

Terse response  ?  what else does your post deserve, a summary,  you got your answer what more do you need.

Archived