Cat Telecom Adsl

earlofwindermere

A CAT telecom rep stopped at my office today and gave me a brochure for their adsl. They offer 2 Mbps download speeds (with a low share ratio) and the price is cheaper than what I pay for my 128 kbps connection through a KSC. The CAT lady told me that they work with either TOT or TT&T lines. Has anyone tried them or are they new?

I am using it (CAT via TT&T), and what you actually get is VERY far from 2Mbit so do not get your hopes up too much.

Actual total download speed varies from 15 to 50 kB/s, one single TCP connection does not seem to go above 20 kB/s at any time so I suspect some sort of capping system is being used.

The upload is usually higher than the download, contrary to what the nominal speed 2 mbps/768 kbps says. For just browsing the web it works alright.

999 baht per month + VAT, so ends up around 1100, but do take note of what I wrote above.

The 2 Mbit figure is a pie in the sky, about as accurate as Axe deodorant making anyone wearing it a chick magnet. Sure it sounds good with 2 Mbit, but for the 9 months or so I have used it, I have not ever seen half of that speed.

Currently considering changing back to Maxnet in fact...

i am using maxnet - and i get about 45k/sec download . sometime when i watch Youtube is running ok . and i canload a few movie at the same time .

the price wise is not very cheap .

i recall using dial up and getting as fast a 56k download . but that does not seem to be happening in thailand . even with their so called ADSL . DSL line .

Actually the data transfer rate for dialup is 56 kbps (kilobits per second), which means the highest theoretical download speed is approx. 56 / 8 = 7 kB/s (kilobyte per second).

If I remember correctly, ISDN which is the next step up from regular dialup, allows 128 kbps, i.e. 128 / 8 = approx. 14 kB/s.

Now when you say you get 45 kB/s download, that is equivalent to a nominal connection speed of 360 kbps, so I assume your nominal data transfer rate is 512 kbps, as that would be about normal for Thailand, getting 70% of the nominal data transfer rate.

A nominal speed of 2 megabit per second as advertised by CAT, should give 250 kilobytes per second in download speed (in Sweden for example), or, if we compare it to the norm here, which is around 70%, it should give 175 kiloByte/s).

But in reality, the fastest I have ever seen with this connection, is a download speed of about 90 kByte/s, and that happens like once every 3 months or so, for a few hours.

sometime at night i do get download speed as high as 58-60k - but did not really take a good notice , what i do is i download a few file together - i once cacualte the add up - each running at about 10k - 14k .. so the add up is about 80-90k .. so i end up usually doing multi download .

sometime at night i do get download speed as high as 58-60k - but did not really take a good notice , what i do is i download a few file together - i once cacualte the add up - each running at about 10k - 14k .. so the add up is about 80-90k .. so i end up usually doing multi download .

who gives a toss about download speeds ? im more worried about the other thing you said ! are you trying to tell me that axe dosent make me attractive to women ? i suppose it could be my good looks or my statuesque frame of five foot 8 :o