Tesco Lotus opens high-tech new store in Nonthaburi

webfact

Tesco Lotus opens high-tech new store in Nonthaburi

Tesco_Lotus_logo.jpg

FILE photo

NONTHABURI, 24 August 2018 (NNT) – Hypermarket chain Tesco Lotus has launched its latest store in Bang Bua Thong district of Nonthaburi, offering customers self-service checkout technology in order to keep up with the 4.0 era. 

The Bang Kruai-Sai Noi Branch is the newest and the 2,000th branch of Tesco Lotus. Intended to serve as the model for “4.0 Stores”, it is equipped with the “Scan as You Shop” technology from England which provides shoppers with more speed and convenience. 

With the self-checkout feature, customers can scan items they want to purchase and put them in bags by themselves. Moreover, they can choose to pay with a QR code in line with the cashless society concept. This branch also has a Green Lane to serve customers who don't wish to receive plastic bags, free Wi-Fi available throughout the premises and a recycling machine, in which customers can deposit recyclable items in exchange for points. 

Mr Boonyarit Kalayanamit, Director-General of the Department of Internal Trade, pointed out that Tesco Lotus plays an important role in distributing income to rural areas as the company buys produce directly from agriculturists. The new Bang Kruai-Sai Noi Branch also allocates a space at no cost for the sale of community products.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-08-24

Self-checkouts are the scourge of the Western world ?

What's Thai for "unexpected item in bagging area"?

1 hour ago, webfact said:

With the self-checkout feature, customers can scan items they want to purchase and put them in bags by themselves.

Thus saving the cost of training and employing a checkout operator and moving the responsibility onto the customer.

1 hour ago, irwinfc said:

"waahh! majaak nai!? luem sakaan pai!"... it means "where did that come from!? oh i forgot to scan." 

The plods from nearby police stations will be beating a path to the door of this Tesco Lotus store.

1 hour ago, henry15 said:

Tops at Central Chaeng Wattana has ths arlready 2 years

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

So instead of Tesco Lotus wanting to "keep up with the 4.0 era", it appears Central have been leading it for the past two years then?

Correct me it I'm wrong, but wasn't that even before the PM announced it?

Not that I'm sure what self-checkout has to do with "4.0", unless that's the number of checkout staff who will be losing their jobs due to it?

I hope no one accuses the PM of plagiarism, they'll end up with a punch in the face.

I been to the shop as its only 1 KM from my home.. parking is a bit chaotic the shop itself nothing special in my opinion but its good to have a new shop near. The bakery was a bit of a disappointment, tops bakery is much better, even the makro bakery is better.

TECHNOCRACY !!! A nightmare to come !!!

Whoever thinks this is a good thing - think again ! [or maybe google the term "Technocracy"]

Insanity at its best and "1984" and "Brave New World" on STEROIDS !!!

... if anybody dares to read these 2 books. [Which most won't do anyway]

5 minutes ago, brain150 said:

TECHNOCRACY !!! A nightmare to come !!!

Whoever thinks this is a good thing - think again ! [or maybe google the term "Technocracy"]

Insanity at its best and "1984" and "Brave New World" on STEROIDS !!!

... if anybody dares to read these 2 books. [Which most won't do anyway]

I think it was a misprit: Techno-crazy:

"TECHNO-CRAZY has to be one of the strangest comedy short films of the 1930's."

Although it mentions comedy, it can't refer to the PM as he's (allegedly) 1m86, so not short.

Technocracy in a Nutshell

8b90cdf2d75f7cccee7c634ba10af60b?s=50&d=Many people want an ‘elevator speech’ version of what Technocracy is all about.  You have the fear mongers saying one thing, you have misinformed people saying another and it can get confusing.

Technocracy is a many layered idea and can take a long time to explain fully, but…. here is the kernel.

Technocracy is an organization that was started in 1918 by a group of doctors, scientists, educators and other professional, well-educated people in response to the indications that the new technologies and industrialization changes would strongly affect both society and the environment.

They created a plan that would help to offset the damaging effects of those changes.  This plan called for confirmed scientific knowledge to be the first criteria in making decisions in planning for the future.

Not popular vote, not profit, not emotionalism,

but strong reasoned and scientific data which would convey which decisions, in many areas, would have a better outcome for society and the environment

1 hour ago, sammieuk1 said:

If only Tesco had the same products and prices as the UK not Big C ?

This seems to be an issue with the old Brits who will insist on repeating their far inferior shopping experience at Tesco just because it's called Tesco.

The epiphany is when you start calling Tesco "Not Big C" instead of Tesco. Do this and the eventual, inevitable rapture of the superior shopping experience at Big C will prevail.

6 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Just introduce a large clear item and price monitor visible to both checker and customer. The current miserably small and ancient LCD display is useless!

Aren't they ever?

Big C has a large LED screen with 1" high numerals for totals and change that you don't have to bend and squint at.

Archived