Govt endorses China’s leadership in globalisation

webfact

Govt endorses China’s leadership in globalisation

By The Nation

a85205bbd6483a1a893e0e734ed95b9e-sld.jpe

Deputy Prime Minister Somkid Jatusripitak on Friday expressed the government’s support for China as it pursues a leading role in promoting free trade and globalisation amid an escalating tariff war with the United States.

In his keynote speech at the Thailand-China Business Forum in Bangkok, Somkid noted that China’s leadership in promoting globalisation had been challenged, an apparent reference to the ongoing trade dispute between the world’s largest economies.

Somkid foresaw Thailand having a closer relationship with China in trade, investment, education, culture and human-resource development.

He was welcoming a Chinese trade mission of more than 400 investors led by State Councillor Wang Yong. Their focus is on the Eastern Economic Corridor, where they are to visit sites on Saturday.

Chinese businesspeople have in the past two and a half years applied for Board of Investment incentives for planned financing worth Bt56 billion.

Somkid said Thailand welcomed further investment from China and also supported Beijing’s globe-spanning Belt and Road Initiative.

Wang noted that China had become the third largest-source of foreign direct investment in Thailand and that about 10 million Chinese tourists visited the Kingdom each year, with 6 million arriving in the first half of this year alone.

He also invited Thais to invest in China, which is aiming to attract new foreign direct investment worth US$140 billion by the end of this year.

It will host the China International Import Expo in November.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30352876

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-08-24

25 minutes ago, webfact said:

Deputy Prime Minister Somkid Jatusripitak on Friday expressed the government’s support for China as it pursues a leading role in promoting free trade and globalisation amid an escalating tariff war with the United States.

Like their word matters anyway .. And given the current pilot of the good ship A-merica's scatter gun style in trade wars Thailand needs to be careful they don't get caught in the gunfight .. 

34 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Ssscchhllurppppp!

That was the sound of Thailand's head going right up the arse of China. the country is doomed.

Yes, the locals will impoverish the Chinese in no time.

Sadly, only these Sino-Thai suits will win big, CPI prices here will rise dramatically along with the real estate, as the Singaporeans, Cambodians, Aussies, Brits, Kiwis, and Canucks have learned by selling out to China the last decade.

It remains to be seen how the average Somchai will take it.

They go along with almost any hare-brained elitist retrograde ideas, until they start to feel it in the old hip pocket...

Wailing and gnashing of teeth in 3,2,1....

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

"...promoting free trade"

I would laugh if this was not so serious. have fun Thai people sharing your stuff with the Communists.

Sharing? Oh no sir!

How it works...

China give gracious terms, promise big, and deliver bigger!

But the patsy, bedazzled like a rookie gambler in Vegas, gets in way over their heads, oops! "Repayment, mai mee!"

"Mai bpen rai, Somchai! We 'lease' it off you for 99 years, nakhap?"

Jai yen yen, it will all work out in the end... ?

1 hour ago, webfact said:

China as it pursues a leading role in promoting free trade

Both countries have high tariffs for many things, so free is wrong.

Vaping, Hooka, wireless technology and AirBnB are legal in China, so the Chinese are way more open minded than the current Thai military officialdom.   Alcohol prices are cheaper too if you shop around.  You can have some nice Ausie red for around B150,

Too bad Thailand is not as accepting. 

2 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Ssscchhllurppppp!

That was the sound of Thailand's head going right up the arse of China. the country is doomed.

It is not possible to go right up something from which one has not withdrawn.

Should Thailand 'pivot' too far towards China, they may find that the US starts viewing the 'junta' as a 'regime' with all the consequences that that small name change entails - like the possible return of more compliant, West-leaning ex-PMs riding the crest of a 'color revolution'.  As a student of geo-political history with no dog in the fight -- just saying.....  ?

Oh for sure in 10 to 15 years this will be Chiland.

Sorry to disagree with some of you although expats may not be a big fan of it, China's bigger involvement here could take this place to economic levels never imagined.  Thailand has the potential to be a much much greater country. Should be interesting to see what happens.

18 hours ago, yellowboat said:

Both countries have high tariffs for many things, so free is wrong.

Vaping, Hooka, wireless technology and AirBnB are legal in China, so the Chinese are way more open minded than the current Thai military officialdom.   Alcohol prices are cheaper too if you shop around.  You can have some nice Ausie red for around B150,

Too bad Thailand is not as accepting. 

No Facebook or google or internet freedom and VPMs are banned in China as of 2019. What planet have you been living on to desire vaping and Airbnb over internet freedom and saying Chinese are more open minded that Thais and Thailand?  In China this type of TFV is not allowed and would be banned. Weird post man weird unless you a Chinese communist member whose job is to patrol the internet and protect China. 

58 minutes ago, Wake Up said:

No Facebook or google or internet freedom and VPMs are banned in China as of 2019. What planet have you been living on to desire vaping and Airbnb over internet freedom and saying Chinese are more open minded that Thais and Thailand?  In China this type of TFV is not allowed and would be banned. Weird post man weird unless you a Chinese communist member whose job is to patrol the internet and protect China. 

The article is about trade.  China is better about trade than Thailand.   When a conversation happens about Internet freedoms, you will be correct, though Thailand filters quite a bit too, but not as much so as China. 

3 hours ago, connda said:

Should Thailand 'pivot' too far towards China, they may find that the US starts viewing the 'junta' as a 'regime' with all the consequences that that small name change entails - like the possible return of more compliant, West-leaning ex-PMs riding the crest of a 'color revolution'.  As a student of geo-political history with no dog in the fight -- just saying.....  ?

I would expect the US to continue to pivot itself towards Vietnam. Vietnam is more reliable and long term US-Vietnamese interests have more in common. Trump could well apply those 25 percent tariffs on China to Thailand as well, especially as Thailand seems intent on being complicit in China's debt trap policy and land grabs in the South China Sea, Bhutan, and India. Not to mention complicit in aiding and abetting the repatriation of Uighurs into Chinese concentration camps.

1 minute ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

A lot of Aussie red wine is fake in China. 

Many things are fake there I worked for 3 years in China, I had a shower and the shower gel was a copy and the alkaline in it burnt the corneas in both my eyes according to the optician they cured ok,

There was no fresh milk where we were working and we used powdered Milk, the Melamine in baby milk scandal wasn't just baby milk and I had kidney stones that were agonising. I hate the place

3 minutes ago, Dave67 said:

Many things are fake there I worked for 3 years in China, I had a shower and the shower gel was a copy and the alkaline in it burnt the corneas in both my eyes according to the optician they cured ok,

There was no fresh milk where we were working and we used powdered Milk, the Melamine in baby milk scandal wasn't just baby milk and I had kidney stones that were agonising. I hate the place

99 percent of the population is regarded as disposable. Doesn't matter if it's imperial mandarins, warlord mandarins, or communist mandarins. Life is cheap, as long as it's not their own.

31 minutes ago, zydeco said:

99 percent of the population is regarded as disposable. Doesn't matter if it's imperial mandarins, warlord mandarins, or communist mandarins. Life is cheap, as long as it's not their own.

Yeah its a very strange place to work we used paythe locals 1 euro a day

1 hour ago, zydeco said:

And that will be the fate of their new colonies as well. Not sure if it's a big difference for Thailand of today though. Some Hi-So's not Sino enough might get demoted.

On 8/24/2018 at 3:40 PM, Justgrazing said:

Like their word matters anyway .. And given the current pilot of the good ship A-merica's scatter gun style in trade wars Thailand needs to be careful they don't get caught in the gunfight .. 

A traditional strength of Thailand, steering a middle course to maintain some semblance of independence between stronger powers. In all international matters not surprising. We will see if the current pressures force Thailand to take a side.

9 hours ago, connda said:

Agree, this type of thing will happen to keep China's aspirations in check, and the Thai elites will run to the US as though China never existed. 

5 hours ago, Dave67 said:

So the country provided you with an environment to work and earn a living for 3 years.  Yet, you complain only about the shampoo and milk.  Why didn't you try ordering them online?  Sorry, seems pretty petty to me.

Archived