Drone registration

Stuart

Only drones with a camera . There are conflicting stories that drone less than 2 kilos dont need to be registered . But CAAT says they do . Also required now is 1 million baht insurance . Fine for non compliance is 5 years in jail or 100,000 baht fine . Thus far only know of 1 person being fined and told he was caught 3 times before they tagged him .

1 hour ago, BB1955 said:

Only drones with a camera . There are conflicting stories that drone less than 2 kilos dont need to be registered . But CAAT says they do . Also required now is 1 million baht insurance . Fine for non compliance is 5 years in jail or 100,000 baht fine . Thus far only know of 1 person being fined and told he was caught 3 times before they tagged him .

Get permission from the CAAT

The CAAT regulates air traffic in Thailand. Since 2017, registration with the CAAT is required if your drone is equipped with a camera or weighs more than 2 kilograms. This means that all common drones (including DJI Mavic Air and DJI Spark) must be registered.

1 hour ago, bobnuts said:

It’s one thing to state they need to be registered but a related question should be to ask if that is both possible and straightforward. 

Info? Anyone have the scoop?

friend of mine registered his, fairly straight forward according to him

I wonder, these drones use radio frequences, the telecommunication regulator is the supreme frq. manager in LoS

why is an OK from them not needed?

2 hours ago, PhonThong said:

The CAAT regulates air traffic in Thailand. Since 2017, registration with the CAAT is required if your drone is equipped with a camera or weighs more than 2 kilograms. This means that all common drones (including DJI Mavic Air and DJI Spark) must be registered.

I fly a DJI Phantom 4 drone in Thailand and I contacted the CAAT Thailand to get the full and accurate procedure to register my drone; I was advised to get my Thai wife to do the procedure as there will be less questions and no language misunderstanding.

The drone could be registered at the CAAT office in Bangkok or at a main province Police station "If they have the form and know what you're talking about"

The CAAT regulates air traffic in Thailand since 2017 registration with the CAAT is required if your drone is equipped with a camera or weighs more than 2 kilograms; above two kilos is classed as a commercial drone and subject to an operators licence, third party insurance and a work permit if the operator is not a Thai national.

I was requested to submit two photos of the drone, one including the drone ID number that is inside the battery compartment on the DJI Phantom 4 drone and complete the registration form; I received a two page registration receipt that I made copies of and keep in my truck also drone box just incase.

The whole process took approximately thirty minutes.

Thats where the misconception is . We ve been told registration and a lic was needed on any drone with a camera . Registration and lic which requires more forms and insurance even if its just for your own pleasure . Now i hope Im wrong .

You can't search here for the announcement that was made last October/November since the search function will only go back to March

It was a two part process, one was registration and licensing  by Civil Aviation and the other was registration by NBT (don't ask me how National Broadcasting authority got involved since drones are normally controlled by wifi, TIT)

You had to register the drone in your province NBT office and that was a simple process of just submitting a form by mail.  The other, more difficult actions were actually getting a license to fly your drone, that required submitting proof of insurance and a whole bunch of other forms to CAAT

I did the local registration but then realized just who exactly was going to check my "flying" license around my mooban, especially since the law required you to keep your drone in line of sight , and I sure was not going to fly over any military facilities so why worry

And after the first flurry of activity around drones the subject soon floated to the back burner of things in Thailand.  Probably won't surface again until some drone pilot does something incredibly stupid to cause new headlines and registration will become a hot topic again   

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 10:54 AM, PhonThong said:

Apparently the low limit is 250 grams.

Any camera-drone below 250 gr is considered as a "toy" by CAAT

and no registration is required, or even accepted.

The DJI Spark is about 300 gr. and must be registered.

The new Tello is less about 100 gr. and doesn't need registration.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, WorriedNoodle said:

Does anyone have a link to official regs on this please? Thinking on buying a <250g model if no need for reg.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&amp;rct=j&amp;q=&amp;esrc=s&amp;source=web&amp;cd=1&amp;cad=rja&amp;uact=8&amp;ved=2ahUKEwjzh6XstfndAhVHrY8KHX9NAzMQFjAAegQIBhAB&amp;url=https%3A%2F%2Fdrone-traveller.com%2Fdrone-laws-thailand%2F&amp;usg=AOvVaw0xUw7gI1mkNHFjN7MHRFyp

This should help you out. . . .

Archived