Curtains down for oldest zoo

rooster59

Curtains down for oldest zoo

By Pradit Phulsarikij 
Nation Graphics

cb575806d6b7fadb614c72e88e732881-sld.png

Nation Graphics/Pradit Phulsarikij

After 80 years, Dusit Zoo – Thailand’s first and most popular – will be closed down and moved to a new location in Pathum Thani province.

eb724626ecee8186147cb9796691b1df.jpeg

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30352902

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-08-25

Good bye and good riddance!

I last visited a zoo when I was about 18 years old. I still remember seeing an ape of some kind, listlessly sitting on a cement floor. There was a moment where the ape looked over at me and it was clear that this was an intelligent animal being caged for no other reason than for a human's amusement.

It is wrong to cage animals merely for the pleasure and voyeurism of humans.

Zoos are barbaric and should be closed everywhere.

All I wanted was some milk. I was standing at one of the food counters at Dusit Zoo with my then girlfriend, now my wife of many years. I was trying to show off my Thai language skills and asked the cashier for some milk. She abruptly turned around and walked away. My future wife coldly looked at me and said "You just told her, that you wanted her breasts."

The Thai word for milk is nohm. It is also used for breasts...

32 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Good bye and good riddance!

I last visited a zoo when I was about 18 years old. I still remember seeing an ape of some kind, listlessly sitting on a cement floor. There was a moment where the ape looked over at me and it was clear that this was an intelligent animal being caged for no other reason than for a human's amusement.

It is wrong to cage animals merely for the pleasure and voyeurism of humans.

Zoos are barbaric and should be closed everywhere.

Singapore zoo plays an important role in maintaining the proboscis monkey population in Borneo and has breeding programs for other species as well. Not all bad.

3 minutes ago, SoilSpoil said:

Singapore zoo plays an important role in maintaining the proboscis monkey population in Borneo and has breeding programs for other species as well. Not all bad.

It is possible to assist animal populations without displaying living beings for money.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

23 minutes ago, SoilSpoil said:

You do have a point.  Not a fan of holding wild animals in captivity, but given we humans are wiping out animal populations everywhere, it is a not so good solution to an even worse problem.   

43 minutes ago, missoura said:

All I wanted was some milk. I was standing at one of the food counters at Dusit Zoo with my then girlfriend, now my wife of many years. I was trying to show off my Thai language skills and asked the cashier for some milk. She abruptly turned around and walked away. My future wife coldly looked at me and said "You just told her, that you wanted her breasts."

The Thai word for milk is nohm. It is also used for breasts...

I went into the 7/11 the other day and asked for a 'Smokey bite' which is the brand name of the popluar sausage that you heat up in the MW for 10 baht...she looked at me oddly. I think i got the tones wrong and asked her for a BJ.

What will take the place of the Dusit Zoo?    Condo complex??   More concrete.

12 minutes ago, tomta said:

Tip of  a very large iceberg. The zoo, the racetrack Sanam Ma, Susan Dusit University

Yes but it's pointless posting about.The forum membership mostly don't have the foggiest of what is going on beneath the surface - to use your iceberg analogy.And those that do don't can't discuss.

How is the new zoo they are building in Phatun Thani to replace the Dusit zoo different or better? And why did they decide they needed to move to a completely different facility instead of retrofitting Dusit?

And why did they choose to close Dusit three years before its replacement will open? The public has no place to go for three years and the animals need moved twice. There must have been some reasoning for this right?

1 hour ago, canopy said:

How is the new zoo they are building in Phatun Thani to replace the Dusit zoo different or better? And why did they decide they needed to move to a completely different facility instead of retrofitting Dusit?

And why did they choose to close Dusit three years before its replacement will open? The public has no place to go for three years and the animals need moved twice. There must have been some reasoning for this right?

yes.  But the reasoning might get you into trouble.  Hints given already.

Here is what I found regarding the move on the up side:

His Majesty King Vajiralongkorn has donated the new site, which is about 300 rai of land and three times larger than the present zoo.

The move ensures the animals will have a better environment and quality of life

Consultant companies have already surveyed the area in order to make sure meet the international standard.

And on the downside:

At the end of this month, Bangkokians will bid farewell to Dusit Zoo, as the final curtain falls for the site, treasured by many not just as a recreational edutainment place, but also as a vast green space

8 hours ago, coulson said:

Better not to discuss ?

Tell all the truth but tell it slant —
Success in Circuit lies
Too bright for our infirm Delight
The Truth's superb surprise
As Lightning to the Children eased
With explanation kind
The Truth must dazzle gradually
Or every man be blind — (Emily Dickinson)

These time-honoured verses seem pertinent to a discussion of a zoo

All things bright and beautiful,
All creatures great and small,
All things wise and wonderful:
The Lord God made them all.Refrain

The rich man in his castle,
The poor man at his gate,
He made them, high or lowly,
And ordered their estate.

4 hours ago, tomta said:

These time-honoured verses seem pertinent to a discussion of a zoo

All things bright and beautiful,
All creatures great and small,
All things wise and wonderful:
The Lord God made them all.Refrain

The rich man in his castle,
The poor man at his gate,
He made them, high or lowly,
And ordered their estate.

1 hour ago, tomta said:

In response to what exactly? Do you have more to tell us about the rules they made about their zoo in their country? Do tell.

Yeah they want to close it and open another

20 minutes ago, tomta said:

Once again, can you tell me  who "they" are. I haven't heard the groundswell of demands for a new zoo

The ones who decided. They are the ones who decide who decides what they need to decide. The Zoos closing, Ce la Vie. I remember when they tore down Freedomland in the Bronx. Here today, gone tomorrow,  hope the next zoo is nicer.

17 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

It is possible to assist animal populations without displaying living beings for money.

Quite right.

In that perfect world in which all humans voluntarily give as much money as is needed (or are happy for governments to use tax revenue to save a species of snail) and where nobody eats bushmeat and the Chinese don't crave Rhino horn....everything will be beautiful.

Oh look, while we were waiting for the New Dawn all the endangered species died out.

https://www.marwell.org.uk/conservation

18 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

well, "assisting animal populations" still has to be paid for somehow.

money cannot be escaped.

most larger animals that serve no purpose are historically on their way to extinction.

I'm not saying I approve the way things are, but it's just how they are.

Archived