Thailand to host “World Skills ASEAN Bangkok 2018”

rooster59

Thailand to host “World Skills ASEAN Bangkok 2018”

Thammarat Thadaphrom

PNSOC610825001000101.jpg

BANGKOK, 25th August 2018 (NNT) – Thailand is preparing to host the 12th ASEAN Skills Competition, which, this year, will be known as "World Skills ASEAN Bangkok 2018.” According to Labor Minister Police General Adul Sangsingkeo, it is the largest vocational education skills excellence event in the ASEAN region and is one that truly reflects global industries. 

Organized by the Department of Skills Development, of the Ministry of Labor, the World Skills ASEAN Bangkok 2018 will take place at IMPACT Muang Thong Thani, Nonthaburi province, from 31st August to 2nd September 2018. 

The competition aims to promote skills standards in the ASEAN region, as well as to motivate youths to develop their skills to meet international standards and current technology. 

Labor Minister Police General Adul, said that as host of this event, Thailand will greatly benefit from the transfer of knowledge and experience to relevant agencies in working out their skill training courses. 

The event will also encourage young people, craftsmen, and the general public to emphasize skills development, which will help strengthen the country’s economy and society. Moreover, the event will also provide an opportunity for ASEAN members to share their views and experience in skills development and promote friendship and understanding. 

Young talent from 10 ASEAN countries participating in the WorldSkills ASEAN Bangkok 2018 will compete for medals in 26 skills, such as automomotive technology, cooking, electrical installations, electronics, hairdressing, internet of things, mobile robotics, and restaurant service. 

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-08-26

Perhaps the Thais can learn during this competition how to train shop assistants in vaunted shops like Tops or malls such as Central Chitlom to know even the most simple, basic, rudimentary things connected with the items they are selling - for example, whether they do actually sell that product or have it in stock or have it on order? We can't, of course,  expect them to master the more difficult bits of the process yet  - such as knowing anything  substantive about the product concerned. That might take another 20 years and a further 20 'competitions' .... (And that is being generous with the time frame!).

Edited by Eligius
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Eligius said:

Perhaps the Thais can learn during this competition how to train shop assistants in vaunted shops like Tops or malls such as Central Chitlom to know even the most simple, basic, rudimentary things connected with the items they are selling - for example, whether they do actually sell that product or have it in stock or have it on order? We can't, of course,  expect them to master the more difficult bits of the process yet  - such as knowing anything  substantive about the product concerned. That might take another 20 years and a further 20 'competitions' .... (And that is being generous with the time frame!).

Sorry, they're too overloaded with their SmartPhone lives and learning English with high intensity and immersion.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, YetAnother said:

note the tall guy in the back row; 

he gets my nomination for candidate in the ASEAN skills best-frown contest

The not so tall guy in front to the mike doing all the blabbing gets my nomination for the junta hypocrite of the month.

In this story he says........."an opportunity for ASEAN members to share their views and experience in skills development and promote friendship and understanding". 

In another story today re unregistered workers..........."In a bid to solve the country's shortage of 40,000 fisheries workers, Adul said that his ministry would speedily import fisheries workers slaves from Myanmar, Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam" 

"... it is the largest vocational education skills excellence event..."

Well, if there is a large pool of sudsy water, some of the locals should have no problem showing off their "vocational" skills, and walk away with the first place trophy, a few thousand baht, and some marriage proposals. 

Further to the gripe about workers in places like Thaiwadsu (who hide in ill-lit corners to avoid facing customers) to the thirty or so who follow me around in HomePro (they know nothing about stock/where it is/any difference in brands etc.) 

My  friend needed some lights; he took a sample to Homepro where two separate staff delivered with a straight face the well-practiced 'No have.'  This necessitated a forty kms round trip to Index.  On the way back we realised we'd forgotten an item & called in at the 1st Homepro.  Imagine our surprise on finding the item, by accident, which had just cost us an hour & a have of our tie + petrol.

So incensed was my friend that he asked to see the manager.  'Solly it his day off.'

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Further to the gripe about workers in places like Thaiwadsu (who hide in ill-lit corners to avoid facing customers) to the thirty or so who follow me around in HomePro (they know nothing about stock/where it is/any difference in brands etc.) 

My  friend needed some lights; he took a sample to Homepro where two separate staff delivered with a straight face the well-practiced 'No have.'  This necessitated a forty kms round trip to Index.  On the way back we realised we'd forgotten an item & called in at the 1st Homepro.  Imagine our surprise on finding the item, by accident, which had just cost us an hour & a have of our tie + petrol.

So incensed was my friend that he asked to see the manager.  'Solly it his day off.'

I can identify with your story fully. Exactly right. I always say that Thai shop assistants are worse than useless. Useless would be if they said to one: 'I am not sure if we have that product. I am not sure. I don't know.' Then one  might search around further by oneself in the shop. But when one is told in no uncertain terms, 'Mai mee' ('No have') - only later to discover that the very thing one wanted was right behind the shop assistant (perhaps a whole stack of the things)  - that is worse than useless, it is downright infuriating.

And suchlike happens ALL the time.

Look at those DINOSAURS in the photo. That is one of the many problems in this country. 

I am old, "P" Somchai and I have grey hair, so I know what is best. 

They need some young people making decisions.

My god. I wonder if any of those gentlemen even know how to check email. 

• Like 1