Computer to Smartphone - Free Chat Apps - Thailand to UK

Speedo1968

Trying to find app that will allow me to chat using my laptop with my daughter in UK who is using her Smart Phone.

I have used Skype in the past laptop to laptop.

I don't have a Smart Phone and have little use even for my cheepo mobile phone.

I understand calls using laptop to phone are either impossible or very expense.

I have LINE but same issues apply when using laptop to phone.   I know LINE works well with mobile / iPad.

I don't use Facebook having closed my account some years ago over security issues and don't wish to sign up again.

Any ideas please ?

On a related note - my daughter has a couple of good no longer used phones.

Is it worth having them sent here, postal and customs services allowing and, obviously being able to unlock for use here ? 

One was used here by her in the past when she visited here.

For nine quid every three months, you can subscribe to Skype....ANY UK mobile, landline, 0800 numbers are included. Works a treat for me. And you can get a Smart phone here which will do Skype etc for Bht 3000.

Edited by wgdanson

If you have Skype why doesn't your daughter install Skype on her smartphone? Skype to Skype is free regardless the platform assuming both parties are using an Internet connection. Ditto Line.

• Like 1

How about line ? 

I got line on my computer.

Just to add you just have to register your line and after that you can use it on a desktop and or laptop computer. Its not that hard but it does require line to be on a phone initially.

Edited by robblok

7 minutes ago, Stocky said:

If you have Skype why doesn't your daughter install Skype on her smartphone?

I 2nd that. I talk to my daughter all the time with me on the computer (or my phone) with her using Skype on her phone.

21 minutes ago, robblok said:

How about line ? 

I got line on my computer.

Just to add you just have to register your line and after that you can use it on a desktop and or laptop computer. Its not that hard but it does require line to be on a phone initially.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Does that mean that LINE will allow free calls with phone to laptop or vice versa ?     Do you have to do it via Facebook Messenger ?     

24 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I 2nd that. I talk to my daughter all the time with me on the computer (or my phone) with her using Skype on her phone.

We tried last weekend.

First we couldn't even connect, then it was very expensive her end ( no free connection ) using her Sky package.

38 minutes ago, Stocky said:

If you have Skype why doesn't your daughter install Skype on her smartphone? Skype to Skype is free regardless the platform assuming both parties are using an Internet connection. Ditto Line.

I have laptop my daughter uses phone.

We tried last weekend.

First we couldn't even connect, then it was very expensive her end ( no free connection ) using her Sky package.  

9 minutes ago, Speedo1968 said:

Thanks for the suggestion.

Does that mean that LINE will allow free calls with phone to laptop or vice versa ?     Do you have to do it via Facebook Messenger ?     

Line will allow free calls too.. once you got the app installed on your computer you can chat and or do free calls.

I have line on my phone and on my computer.. when I am behind the computer i open the line app as i prefer it over typing on the phone. I have also made free calls with the line app from the computer.

Edited by robblok

43 minutes ago, Speedo1968 said:

I have laptop my daughter uses phone.

We tried last weekend.

Does she not have access to wifi. It seems she was using the data mode on her phone.

1 hour ago, Speedo1968 said:

First we couldn't even connect, then it was very expensive her end ( no free connection ) using her Sky package

In that case just subscribe either to a Skype package as suggested previously, or just use Skype-Out and buy some credits; cost of a call to landline or mobile in the UK from Thailand is 2.3¢ per minute.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Does she not have access to wifi. It seems she was using the data mode on her phone.

Yes she does have wifi but as I understand it the Sky internet provider is making hefty charges on her phone when trying to Skype.    I guess Sky also provides her TV ?    Will re-check and come back to you on that one.

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

I do it all the time.  Click on the phone in Facebook messenger. 

Oh sorry.  Didn't realize you don't want facebook.  But that's the easy way to do it. 

Thanks for the video link.

Guess I am old fashioned but have stuck with Win7, it suits me fine.

My first word processor was an Amstrad, can't remember what my first PC was but my first laptop was a Packard Bell.

Yes, I understand Facebook is the popular way but no thanks.

25 minutes ago, Stocky said:

In that case just subscribe either to a Skype package as suggested previously, or just use Skype-Out and buy some credits; cost of a call to landline or mobile in the UK from Thailand is 2.3¢ per minute.

Thanks for your response.

2 hours ago, robblok said:

Line will allow free calls too.. once you got the app installed on your computer you can chat and or do free calls.

I have line on my phone and on my computer.. when I am behind the computer i open the line app as i prefer it over typing on the phone. I have also made free calls with the line app from the computer.

Will ask if she can install LINE on her phone if can't get free with WhatsApp, her current app.   

LINE would be the best fit, since all the "kids" are using it so she has plenty of tech support when needed, which is seldom

I like it since I can send photos directly from my phone to my LINE contacts as they happen, or later on, behind the keyboard on my PC

I personally never like the "tin can tunnel" sound I get from SKYPE and their confusing interface

If she happens to have a iPhone, then she cannot find LINE on their "store" she will have to Google " LINE for iOS " and get it from the Play store  

16 hours ago, Speedo1968 said:

Will ask if she can install LINE on her phone

If she has problems with Skype using WiFi on her Sky package she may well find Line will encounter similar issues if Sky has some sort of fatwa against VOIP.  

On 8/26/2018 at 10:09 PM, Langsuan Man said:

LINE would be the best fit, since all the "kids" are using it so she has plenty of tech support when needed, which is seldom

I like it since I can send photos directly from my phone to my LINE contacts as they happen, or later on, behind the keyboard on my PC

I personally never like the "tin can tunnel" sound I get from SKYPE and their confusing interface

If she happens to have a iPhone, then she cannot find LINE on their "store" she will have to Google " LINE for iOS " and get it from the Play store  

Many thanks Langsuan Man for your comments and advice.

Will let my daughter know of this option.

On 8/27/2018 at 11:59 AM, Stocky said:

If she has problems with Skype using WiFi on her Sky package she may well find Line will encounter similar issues if Sky has some sort of fatwa against VOIP.  

Thanks Stocky, will let my daughter know.

I have a friend here who is in daily contact with someone in the UK via LINE, works pretty well, even where I am outside a small village and 'damage' done by rain etc to the local internet.