Portuguese man arrested in Phuket for illegal possession of firearm, ammunition

webfact

Portuguese man arrested in Phuket for illegal possession of firearm, ammunition

By The Phuket News

1535360013_1-org.jpg

The arrest of the man, who police have declined to name, came after his wife went to Chalong Police Station on Friday (Aug 24) to report him for assault on herself and their child. Photo: The Phuket News / File

PHUKET: A Portuguese man was arrested on Saturday morning (Aug 25) after he was found to be in illegal possession of a firearm and ammunition.

The arrest of the man, who police have declined to name, came after his wife went to Chalong Police Station on Friday (Aug 24) to report him for assault on herself and their child.

Speaking to The Phuket News today (Aug 27), Capt Somkiat Sansithi, Chief of the Investigation Division at Chalong Police Station, said, “I received a complaint from a Thai woman on Friday that she had been beaten up by her Portuguese husband. She also told me that her child was hurt too but I didn’t see the child.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/portuguese-man-arrested-in-phuket-for-illegal-possession-of-firearm-ammunition-68395.php#kbPqf2KRj1F3DvQI.99

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-08-27

13 hours ago, Sir Dude said:

Well, like many countries, they do let anyone in now.

So do you choose who you let in based on nationality, colour, religion?

Seems to me the worst tourists are from developed western nations who have a skewed impression of self entitlement as soon as they step foot in what they regard as a 'lesser nation'.

5 hours ago, Get Real said:

Yes, sure! The illegal possession of firearm and ammunition makes him a very trustworthy man, right?

Which a court of law has found him guilty of????

I hate to break it to you, but Judge Dredd isn't real and this isn't Mega City One.

Could have been a planted BB gun for all you know.

15 hours ago, Expatthailover said:

So do you choose who you let in based on nationality, colour, religion?

Seems to me the worst tourists are from developed western nations who have a skewed impression of self entitlement as soon as they step foot in what they regard as a 'lesser nation'.

Last time I checked, Portugal was a developed western nation, populated mostly by white Christians.

It seems to me that SirDude's post had nothing to do with nationality, colour, or religion. What was your reason for mentioning them?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_justice_warrior

3 hours ago, rwdrwdrwd said:

Which a court of law has found him guilty of????

I hate to break it to you, but Judge Dredd isn't real and this isn't Mega City One.

Could have been a planted BB gun for all you know.

Judge Dredd? Mega City One? Eeeeh? Nice to read that you live in the real world. One suggestion would be to start looking at science and fact movies instead.

However, so you go on the line with that the wife is lying and that she also planted a gun, right? Oh dear, what a terrible woman! What more might she have done?

37 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Judge Dredd? Mega City One? Eeeeh? Nice to read that you live in the real world. One suggestion would be to start looking at science and fact movies instead.

However, so you go on the line with that the wife is lying and that she also planted a gun, right? Oh dear, what a terrible woman! What more might she have done?

Please learn to read. I did not claim that the wife was lying, nor that she planted a gun. I said that "for all you know" the weapon may have been a BB gun, or it may have been planted. Just because a person has been arrested for something does not mean that they are guilty. That is why the legal process exists (except in Judge Dredd books, which I assumed is where you gleaned your knowledge of the legal process from - I haven't read them as it happens, but I know of the basic premise, which is "guilty if arrested").

Frankly, it's ridiculous that it is necessary to explain to you how the legal process works.

You appear to believe the legal process works like this:

1. The police make an arrest, the arrested person is guilty.

When actually it works like this:

1. The police make an arrest based upon suspicion of a crime, they collate evidence and interview the suspect and any other individuals who may have related information.

2. If the investigating officer feels based upon the information they have obtained that a prosecution should be pursued, they present the information to a prosecutor.

3. After receiving the request, the prosecutor analyse the information and then either instruct the investigating officer to conduct further investigation, or they may prepare a formal charge and send the case to the courts.

4. The accused is given the chance at this point to make a plea of guilt or innocence on the charges filed against him. The judge may make his own examination of the case, but usually just rules on whether the charge conforms to the law. If the judge approves of the charge, he sets a date for trial.

5. During the trial, all the parties are given full opportunity to prove their case by presenting evidence to the court. The prosecution present their case first, then the defendant presents their defense. 

6. Generally, the judge has discretion to admit any evidence likely to prove the innocence or guilt of the accused. If the judge decides to exclude any of the evidence presented, he must provide a written explanation of this fact in the record of the trial. The explanation is required because it is used as basis for evaluation in case of an appeal. The decision of the judge must be based solely on the evidence presented during the hearings, as well as confessions or admissions that qualify as valid under the law.

7. Finally, the judge will rule whether they find the defendant guilty or not guilty.

Just like it works in pretty much every country around the world.

read the linked article:   She complained to the police that he had a gun.  They went to the house and found:

" On Saturday morning I went to search and found an air rifle, six .38 bullets and 90 air rifle pellets in the bedroom
Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/portuguese-man-arrested-in-phuket-for-illegal-possession-of-firearm-ammunition"

Archived