(I made it many years ago

and I am conscious of 

how it may or not may 

attract you to write some

words about it). Previous sentence

might especially now attract

some lines of words, although

the topic is an other:

My girlfriend is Thai citizen and she wants to open a small sales business, although has no clue where she should register the smallest possible business in Bangkok (in Europe it is only around 

EUR 50 to register a one man firm) and I don't know where to do that for

her in Bangkok and how much THB

that costs for her. 

Any idea, please? 

Helpful answers much appreciated.

Have a blessed day!

If your girlfriend want to start a successful business in her own country, you would expect that she put some effort into it. So talk to people who already have something similar to get some information. If she doesn't have the drive or brains to do this, the business will fail anyhow.

Asked already some foodstall

owner, all of them (3) had no

clue about and they just sell

without having any registration. 

Probably we keep going and ask

some more foodstall owner, eventually finding owners with

proper registration/biz licence

for TH owner. 

Thanks. 

Look at the DBD.. Thailand's Department of Business Development. Its have a web site in English and offices on every big town. But remember.... openning a registered business in Thailand obligated to declare taxes every year, with or without profits, and to hire a CPA to do that. Its a sure 10000 thb expense every year or a big fine not doing that. That may be the reason why so many Thai do not have license or business registration even with a big business. Just to close a registered business will be another 10000 thb + the tax declaration expense for that year. If you get involved with the business in any way, you will need to have a WP.

Talk to a Thai Law firm, if its a small "shop" it might not even have to be registered as no foreigner is owning or working there. If its small enough I believe it does not even have to be registered to pay taxes. I might we wrong tho. 

Think of it as a test of her business acumen. If she can get her business up and registered all by herself she just might have a chance of it being successful. If she does not have the brains to set it up how is she going to run it? Simple it seems..

15 hours ago, thaibestlover said:

for TH owner. 

Thanks. 

If she just wants a food stall then she can probably get away with having no licence or business registration.   Is she in Bangkok?   If she is then technically she (and all food carts) should pay for a licence from the BMA (Bangkok Municipal Authority) but most of the vendors don't bother.

You might find this document useful (download link for the PDF at the bottom) -https://www.researchgate.net/publication/312028122_Street_vending_policies_and_practices_A_case_study_of_Bangkok

If your girlfriend is a run-of-the-mill Isaan bumpkin with little to no education,

it is best to stick to a simple business idea - coffee stand / noodle / somtam stall.

Competition will be fierce. 

The fact that she is clueless about how to register a business,

is already a red flag - zero business acumen. 

Don't invest more than you can afford to lose.

As a farang, it is a sucker's game and you will always be a sucker.

Start with these assumptions:

1) The business will fail before 6 months, maybe within a month or two

2) You will barely break-even, esp. during the initial period

3) Accounts and finances will be managed poorly, especially if left to your girlfriend

If you can come to terms with these assumptions, you've already won half the battle.

1 hour ago, varun said:

If your girlfriend is a run-of-the-mill Isaan bumpkin with little to no education,

it is best to stick to a simple business idea - coffee stand / noodle / somtam stall.

Competition will be fierce. 

The fact that she is clueless about how to register a business,

is already a red flag - zero business acumen. 

Don't invest more than you can afford to lose.

As a farang, it is a sucker's game and you will always be a sucker.

Start with these assumptions:

1) The business will fail before 6 months, maybe within a month or two

2) You will barely break-even, esp. during the initial period

3) Accounts and finances will be managed poorly, especially if left to your girlfriend

If you can come to terms with these assumptions, you've already won half the battle.

Agree with most your comments they’re accurate about what happens in a  large majority of start ups that haven’t researched, disciplined themselves to manage money and to keep others out of the till. The profit line is too small for errors and give a ways. 

The only thing don’t totally agree with is the part about education. True education especially in the villages in NE are in most cases less than average. It’s an anchor that impedes young adults success.

But if the person has the ambition and wants to learn its possible! 

I didn’t like people telling me you can’t do that when I was a young man

trying to make a living. It was  a motivation to show yes I can...

Hopefully more people want to learn and better themselves....

19 hours ago, thaibestlover said:

for TH owner. 

Thanks. 

Running a valid business costs money: to setup (lawyer) and to maintain (accountant, tax, licenses). 

The very big majority of food stalls don't make much money and can't afford be a proper business. So they don't have a license, don't pay tax but will have to pay off the police not to be bothered. 

So for a food stall ask how much they pay the police.

For a bigger business ask around at the bigger shops.

If I remember correctly an alcocart operator on lower Suk told me 15k to BMA and 15k to the police a month. But he still made decent money from being open 4hrs. a night - his timeshare for the spot was from 2-6am. They've all been banished now for a couple of years though.

A friend's girlfriend is related to a family with a foodcart situated strategically near NEP. He says they make north of 100k/month.

Location, location, location.

2 hours ago, Bang Bang said:

If I remember correctly an alcocart operator on lower Suk told me 15k to BMA and 15k to the police a month. But he still made decent money from being open 4hrs. a night - his timeshare for the spot was from 2-6am. They've all been banished now for a couple of years though.

A friend's girlfriend is related to a family with a foodcart situated strategically near NEP. He says they make north of 100k/month.

Location, location, location.

They gross 100+K, minus police, minus BMA, minus cost of ingredients. That is if stories of all parties concerning the friend's girlfriend related to the family are 100% true.

4 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

They gross 100+K, minus police, minus BMA, minus cost of ingredients.

Well, yeah, I guess most of us could've figured this out for ourselves.

4 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

That is if stories of all parties concerning the friend's girlfriend related to the family are 100% true.

Not sure what the point of this statement is. Does it bother you that a stall might be making a lot of money and you don't want it to be true?

Archived