Elephant swimming show is exercise, not cruel: zoo

snoop1130

Elephant swimming show is exercise, not cruel: zoo

By Jintamas Saksornchai, Staff Reporter

S__13385939-696x463.jpg

Students Tuesday watch an elephant swims in a glass tank at Khao Kheow Open Zoo in Chonburi.

CHONBURI —  A young elephant walks on its hind legs and swims in a glass tank to the delight of a crush of students watching and cheering.

To the animal rights advocates who yesterday posted a video of the swimming elephant, it was cruelty. Today the director of the Khao Kheow Open Zoo defended the spectacle as an innocent form of exercise.

Full Story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2018/08/28/elephant-swimming-show-is-exercise-not-cruel-zoo/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-8-28

40 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Well elephants swim so you're saying it's ok??

I take it you've never seen elephants in the wild, they love the water and are at their happiest when rolling around in rivers etc.

1 hour ago, simoh1490 said:

I take it you've never seen elephants in the wild, they love the water and are at their happiest when rolling around in rivers etc.

If you look I'm replying to another post. This one:

11 hours ago, AlexCanada said:

Anything that an elephant wouldn't do in its natural habitat likely isn't right.

This was my reply.

I found the post from AlexCanada somewhat ambiguous.

Your reply simoh1490 to me has absolutely nothing to do with this or you may have missed the bit in 8 words I typed which says ELEPHANTS SWIM.?

2 hours ago, dinsdale said:

If you look I'm replying to another post. This one:

11 hours ago, AlexCanada said:

Anything that an elephant wouldn't do in its natural habitat likely isn't right.

This was my reply.

I found the post from AlexCanada somewhat ambiguous.

Your reply simoh1490 to me has absolutely nothing to do with this or you may have missed the bit in 8 words I typed which says ELEPHANTS SWIM.?

Sorry if I misunderstood but I found several parts of that exchange to be ambiguous, even after reading it over again several times, your statement, "so you're saying it's ok" is as if to imply, it's not ok.....whatever.

29 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

Sorry if I misunderstood but I found several parts of that exchange to be ambiguous, even after reading it over again several times, your statement, "so you're saying it's ok" is as if to imply, it's not ok.....whatever.

Your quote of me is incorrect. You have failed to include the question mark which of course makes it a question thus to elicit an answer. One cannot, however, express infleclection in the written word. Having said this I was simply trying to get a yes/no answer.

2 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Your quote of me is incorrect. You have failed to include the question mark which of course makes it a question thus to elicit an answer. One cannot, however, express infleclection in the written word. Having said this I was simply trying to get a yes/no answer.

My quote of you is correct but it is incomplete, just to be pedantic. ?

Let's move on shall we.

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 4:30 PM, AlexCanada said:

Search on youtube

"Elephant Swimming across the Zamezi River"

Ok, it's an African elephant, so it might make a big difference for you. Tell this elephant, what he is doing is not right. Next time he will be relocated into the Namibian desert or Canada.

And don't tell us it's a fake!

37 minutes ago, balo said:

Elephants have a great memory and will probably remember who did this to him/ her and if he gets a chance, stamp on them . Happened before.

Source! Elephant stamped on mahout because he/she had to go in a pool filled with water. Did they had to force the elephant into the pool repeadetly?

19 hours ago, bermannor said:

Source! Elephant stamped on mahout because he/she had to go in a pool filled with water.

No not water .  I can only think of  news stories about the mahout beating the elephant who then gets upset and stamp on him .  

A couple of years ago we had a Scot who was killed in Thailand thanks to an idiot of a mahout . 

"Witnesses said that in the moments leading up to the attack, Golf had appeared upset and was refusing to follow Pamang's instructions, causing him to hit the elephant with a stick until he obeyed.

Golf then attacked Pamang with its trunk before goring him in the chest with a tusk and rearing on its hind legs.

Eilidh and her father were thrown from its back and the elephant then stomped and gored the father before running into a nearby forest.

Witnesses said that just before the attack, the elephant - known as Golf - had appeared upset and refused to follow the instructions of the mahout who hit him several times with a hook. "

48 minutes ago, balo said:

No not water .  I can only think of  news stories about the mahout beating the elephant who then gets upset and stamp on him .  

A couple of years ago we had a Scot who was killed in Thailand thanks to an idiot of a mahout . 

"Witnesses said that in the moments leading up to the attack, Golf had appeared upset and was refusing to follow Pamang's instructions, causing him to hit the elephant with a stick until he obeyed.

Golf then attacked Pamang with its trunk before goring him in the chest with a tusk and rearing on its hind legs.

Eilidh and her father were thrown from its back and the elephant then stomped and gored the father before running into a nearby forest.

Witnesses said that just before the attack, the elephant - known as Golf - had appeared upset and refused to follow the instructions of the mahout who hit him several times with a hook. "

That happens some time, most probably  more often than we think because who reports of incidents of working elephant in e.g. Myanmar.

But plenty of incidents on Youtube of temple elephants in India.

Male elephants in must are most dangerous.

Last month, there was an incident with2 elephants at an performance at Germa y's biggest circus where one elephant pushed another from the side and the attacked one fell close to spectators. The comment says, that the 2 elephants had already a quarrel the night before (bitch quarrel). The video clip shows, the mahouts (girls) had no chance to stop it.

That is also the reason why elephants are leg chained at night in zoos. You never know when a hierarchy dispute breaks out.

Archived