My new Thai Driving License

ChrisKC

Three weeks ago, I went to Cha Hom in Lampang Province Transport Office to apply for my Car Driving License.

All my documents were accepted as being in order and I was invited to take my colour vision test, peripheral vision, emergency brake test and the “two sticks” coming together test. I passed them no problem.

I watched a video for two hours and everything stopped for lunch. In the afternoon There was another test - on the computer, that had 90 questions with one answer required from a choice of four. An hour was allowed for the test.

The process doesn’t tell you until the end, regarding right or wrong answers.

I failed the test with 19 wrong answers. I did the test again and was told I could have help from my Thai wife! This time I got 12 wrong answers and failed the test again. Apparently, you need 85/90 correct for a Pass!!

This meant I couldn’t take the car driving test and actually meant another visit (last Friday)

Of course, I did my homework and this time I did the test without help but for some reason I only had to answer 50 questions and I passed – Yippee!

I then went outside for my driving test that involved stopping at a STOP sign, reversing into a limited space area for parking. Left there and went forwards through a narrow space marked out with hanging poles (about 30 metres) and reverse without touching anything.

That was the driving test which I passed.

20 minutes later received my license (B560) with an issue date of 3 December 2008 and expiry date 14 February 2024. Yes, that issue date was the last time I applied (at Hang Dong, Chiang Mai Province), got my licence expiring 14 February 2014. Never renewed it and in fact lost it a couple of years later. But the information still on record in their system. My new license takes account of my birthday and is effectively for five and a half years by which time I will be 79.

When I got home to polish my new license I saw they spelt my name wrong! This matter still pending.

As part of this missive I am attaching a link to an online computer test from 2015 but it represents at least 70-80% of what I saw last Friday. Very useful and it helped me a lot.

Also, I attach PDF for the complete Thai Traffic laws in English as well as a complete set of Road signs with English translation (available in Wikipaedia if you can't open my "WORD" file)

For those of you in the process of applying for your license, I hope this experience is useful for you but I know different Provinces may have different procedures!

Thailand Driving License Test Online

http://thaidriving.info/

Road traffic laws.pdf

Thai Road Signs.docx

Cheers I like have to get licence after being here 18 years,  i simply never bothered as most of my time was in Bangkok so no car or motorbike needed

now  a serous question as most foreigner who have passed test in their home country are more  than capable of driving but the Thai test is worded in Thai speak and logic

simply whats to stop taking a list of competed question to test and checking for the right answer to avoid the retest 

9 hours ago, poohy said:

Cheers I like have to get licence after being here 18 years,  i simply never bothered as most of my time was in Bangkok so no car or motorbike needed

now  a serous question as most foreigner who have passed test in their home country are more  than capable of driving but the Thai test is worded in Thai speak and logic

simply whats to stop taking a list of competed question to test and checking for the right answer to avoid the retest 

Everything I did was from translated Thai into good English - not perfect and little reason for anyone to fail the test because of it.

I've never had to do the test here in Thailand (simply transferred my UK license into a Thai License)... however, those who are going to do the test would do well to 'practice' the written part first as there are some very odd and sometimes ridiculous questions, with odd responses which would throw a logical person off track and have them failing the test... 

http://thaidriving.info

Dont just Transfer to Thai, take the test upcountry in another rustic province. Its a Memorable event.!. Video machine stopped 10 mins into Cartoon. 3 Biroes for 20 forms,half of them printed in invisible ink. Fat ladies getting stuck in the Children's Desks you had to sit at.My Wife knocking over the Bloke on the reversing test and him saying sorry. At Lunch Time sitting in a Tent Restaurant across the road Drinking Beer with aforesaid felled Tester Chap. Dont get that in yer Posh Cities, and no Extra Charge for the Cabaret either.

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I've never had to do the test here in Thailand (simply transferred my UK license into a Thai License)... however, those who are going to do the test would do well to 'practice' the written part first as there are some very odd and sometimes ridiculous questions, with odd responses which would throw a logical person off track and have them failing the test... 

http://thaidriving.info

I couldn't even work out what question was being asked in no. 10.............

This 90 question thing is strange.

What went wrong there?

The rule is definitely 50 questions, 45 or more correctly answered.

Same for Thai or English version.

90 questions it total pool of questions in English.

4 hours ago, topt said:

I couldn't even work out what question was being asked in no. 10.............

Best to switch off brain and swat the 90 questions :biggrin:

At least two require wrong answers to get a "correct".

Look at question 5: complete nonsense.

Archived