Provinces Urged To Tighten Up Road Safety

Jai Dee

Provinces urged to tighten up road safety

The Director-General of the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation has instructed all provinces to tighten up measures on road safety as the number of road accidents during festivals are likely to increase.

At Trang (ตรัง) City Hall, Director-General of the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Anucha Mokhavesa (อนุชา โมกขะเวส) presided over a meeting to follow up on the local road accident situation.

Mr. Anucha said that according to statistics derived from the 7 southern provinces, the provinces with the highest road accident toll in the last 5 years were Trang, Yala, Songkhla, Satun, Pattalung, and Narathiwat.

The provinces with the highest road fatality rate is Trang.

The director-general indicates a general rising trend in road injuries and fatalities in the southern region.

The majority of road accidents were caused by the recklessness of drivers, drunk driving, with the most accidents occuring during festivals with long holidays.

Mr. Anucha has therefore instructed all provinces to increase preventive measures during these periods.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 08 Febuary 2007

I have noticed the police a bit more in Phayao. Two weeks ago I saw 2 police members in a pickup truck with a radar out in a rice field. They would radio ahead to the police check point and stop speeders.

On Monday, I got a speeding ticket in a different part of Phayao.

Som Nam Nah......I was speeding and got caught. The ticket did have the effect of curbing my need for speed. Perhaps these efforts will reduce accidents.

As long as they're not massively, regularly and intentionally patrolling around looking for infractions on m'cycles or in cars without taking bribes, it will never be done properly. They have no idea and don't care what goes on between police booths or street corners where they stand.

In 99.9% of cases where drivers are pulled over, the officer/s was/were standing by the side of the road, not moving with the traffic. Useless.

Thai drivers have no sense of paranoia whatsoever when they pull crazy stunts because they get away with it 99.9% of the time, unless they kill themselves in the process.

Edited by Tony Clifton

I love the way they jump out in front of me when I am doing 80kph on the Highway and

expect me to stop immediately.................................

I am surprised they don't get knocked down, or cause a massive pile up

when one driver does slam on all the anchors. :o