Pollution in March/April

onesie

Hi all,

We live up in Chiang Mai and normally head down to phuket for March and April due to the smog from the annual burning season.

Was wondering if you Pattaya guys and girls have a problem with smog at that time of year? Is it still relatively clear because of the sea breeze? Is there an exodus of people like there is in Cm?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

My experience is that March and April are the worst months in Pattaya when it comes to pollution . I bought an AQI meter (Air Quality Index) and measured the air almost daily .   

You can read about it in this thread. 

The sea breeze helps , but particles in the air are still present .   

After a rain shower it feels a lot better and AQI will get down to acceptable levels for a few hours. 

The best months in Pattaya for me been June and July , AQI down to 5-10 . 

i live in cosy beach-high level condo--mostly get fresh  sea breeze=very nice.

i have never had a problem in pattaya with air quality, sometimes not so nice when too many tourist buses.coming from nz with very clean air, and as a non smoker, im sure i would notice quickly, if the air was not good.

1 hour ago, Destiny1990 said:

Walking in Pattaya gives me nowadays a sore throat and walking in Jomtien never a problem.  

When walking in the street jungle just too much traffic, stinking diesel trucks and buses.

Throwing thick black smoke.

It's like any overcrowded city.

But still enough chances to escape this compared to the north/CM.

And be it only on a high rise :smile:

9 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

When walking in the street jungle just too much traffic, stinking diesel trucks and buses.

Throwing thick black smoke.

It's like any overcrowded city.

But still enough chances to escape this compared to the north/CM.

And be it only on a high rise :smile:

They say care about our health for ban smoke on a beach but better ban old diesels if care about us!!

44 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

They say care about our health for ban smoke on a beach but better ban old diesels if care about us!!

Absolutely. It unmasks the stupid pointless harassment.

Protected from smoking, but covered in exhaust fumes of buses parking/unloading on beach road e.g.

Two out of three baht buses circling for no purpose.

The list is endless.

I always find the Pattaya air quite refreshing after Bangkok, and if you're not far from the sea it stays fairly good. The March-April air I've experienced in Chiang Mai in recent years is horrible, so I'm sure you'd find Pattaya an improvement, especially if not far from the beach. Pattaya certainly has it's own pollution issues, but these are more to do with water pollution as mentioned in the previous post.

18 hours ago, Tony Hanscomb said:

Now there's no polution. It used to drift up from Indonesia but we don't seem to get it any more.

Smoke pollution from Borneo?

That should be very exceptional in Pattaya.

Much more likely in the deep south incl. Phuket.

Happened more than once during the last years.

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

I suspect he is referring to smoke polution every year from Sumatra which used to come up as far as Penang and occasionally Southern Thailand , did not think it ever came up this far though

A post obviously in the wrong topic has been removed

Assuming you are reffering to the smog from burning I would say that the Pattaya area is relatively unaffected by that. Pattaya of course attracts numerous tourist buses so you will always get the fumes from those. However if you come to Jomtien or even Bang Suay you will be fine.

On 9/2/2018 at 11:17 AM, KhunBENQ said:

Seriously from indonesia ? Borneo burning out of control coal fields been on fire for a long time, was a big problem 20 years ago.

Still burning today but under control.

Archived