Applying for re-entry permit

Please can anyone tell me:  is it necessary to "show your face" (I think they mean go in person) to Immigration simply to apply for a re-entry permit?  I'm asking because this year I have a new firm handling my business visa extension/work permit renewal process, and they are saying I have to go to Immigration again to get a single re-entry permit (I have travel during the 30 day consideration period.) 

I don't think I've ever done this in the past - the firm that has handled my work permit and business visa renewals has always obtained the re-entry permits without my making an extra trip to Immigration to do so.  I've traveled during the 30 day consideration period, but only had to go to Immigration once per year.

Thanks ubonjoe, I guess that may why.  In that case, it sounds like I would have to go in person before I leave on my trip, and then yet again when I get back (to get a multiple re-entry) - does that make sense?

If that is the case, is there anywhere else to get the re-entry permit other than the Chaeng Wattana Immigration location?  It seems to be 1 1/2 hour one way to get there.

It sounds as though the previous company you used probably applied for a multi entry re-entry permit to go with your extension when approved, and a single re-entry permit to cover the 30 day under consideration period.

Your new company appears to have neglected applying for the re-entry permit to cover the under consideration period, so they've told you you'll have to apply for that.

An oversight on their part.

After you get the extension stamp is when you would apply for a multiple re-entry permit.

Chaeng Wattana is the only office you use to get the re-entry permit.

If leaving from either airport in Bangkok you can apply for a re-entry permit on departure from the country 24 hours a day. But not sure about doing one for the underconsideration period.

4 minutes ago, Misty said:

Also, can a Power of Attorney be used in this case? I think that may be what the previous firm did, but again, not sure if that was out of the ordinary w/connections, or if that was permitted.

A power of attorney would not waive the requirement to do it in person unless you were unable to travel to immigration (sick or disabled) for it.

6 minutes ago, Misty said:

If that is the case, is there anywhere else to get the re-entry permit other than the Chaeng Wattana Immigration location?  It seems to be 1 1/2 hour one way to get there.

You can get one at the airports Immigration.

Hi Tanoshi, thank you ery much.  Actually I'm not sure they've applied for anything at this point.  Can they still apply for a multiple reentry now, before I leave?  Also, can this be done via power of attorney?

Thank you very much for this.  Quite a lot of time spent on this this year.  7 hours in a queue just waiting to see Immigration for the visa extension renewal.  And it sounds like two more trips back to Immigration for re-entry permits.  That'll make it 16 hours this year (including 9 hours travel time).   ?

15 minutes ago, Misty said:

Hi Tanoshi, thank you ery much.  Actually I'm not sure they've applied for anything at this point.  Can they still apply for a multiple reentry now, before I leave?  Also, can this be done via power of attorney?

It depends on your arrangements with them. Did their charge include a single re-entry permit as part of the application, to cover the 30 day under consideration period.

As UJ stated the multi entry re-entry permit can't be applied for until your application is approved.

Does the arrangement and charges include a multi re-entry permit application on approval of your extension application.

Edited by Tanoshi

2 minutes ago, Misty said:

Sorry, not sure I understand, do you mean an arrangement with Immigration, or with the firm I hired?

With the firm you hired.

Agents can include or exclude the cost of re-entry permits when applying for extensions on your behalf.

Not everybody needs a re-entry permit.

You need to discuss your individual requirements with the agent.

Yes, I will be talking to them soon to discuss what to do.  They did knew about my travel plans, but I think got blind-sided by the unexpected huge queue at Immigration we faced on Thursday. 

Actually, I've never seen anything like that queue before, nor spent so much time at Immigration just waiting to "be seen."  It wasn't clear what was going on, but I heard that there may be a lot more scrutiny of small companies that employ foreigners.

23 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If leaving from either airport in Bangkok you can apply for a re-entry permit on departure from the country 24 hours a day. But not sure about doing one for the underconsideration period.

I had to leave in an emergency just after applying for my last marriage extension, within the 30 day approval period.

I literally booked flights late evening and was off the following morning.

I obtained a single re-enter permit at Suvarnabhumi no problem. 

5 minutes ago, Misty said:

Yes, I will be talking to them soon to discuss what to do.  They did knew about my travel plans, but I think got blind-sided by the unexpected huge queue at Immigration we faced on Thursday. 

Actually, I've never seen anything like that queue before, nor spent so much time at Immigration just waiting to "be seen."  It wasn't clear what was going on, but I heard that there may be a lot more scrutiny of small companies that employ foreigners.

Sounds like you ran out of time.

From what I know of CW it's separate desks and queues for extension and re-entry permit applications.

There seemed to be a huge queue left over from the morning, or even the day before, when I first received my queue number. Still, the firm rep was confident things should move along.  But they didn't, with each case taking a long time. By the time I saw the first Immigration official, it was already 6pm.  The Immigration official got through my paperwork but then I had to wait more to see "the Captain."