Need a USA Sim Card BEFORE I leave Thailand...How??

WaveHunter

I'm traveling to USA and wonder if there is any way to buy a USA SimCard (ATT, T-Mobile, Verizon) here in Thailand?  I'm flying into a NYC airport late at night and need my phone to work for rental car navigation as soon as I land.  Anyone know if this is possible?

Most will only mail to a US address....

We use Straightalk when we RV in the states but their website will not work to/for a country outside of the US....

Airport stores are not common there like in other countries.....

o2wireless might be an option on arrival.....

Screenshot_2018-09-01-18-24-40-21.png

3 hours ago, Sophon said:

Or, if you only need the phone for navigation, download the necessary maps before leaving Thailand and use offline navigation. Then you can pick up a sim card at your convenience. 

Sophon

Agreed can download google maps offline..or I just map it out--then take screen shots of my route

4 hours ago, Sophon said:

Or, if you only need the phone for navigation, download the necessary maps before leaving Thailand and use offline navigation. Then you can pick up a sim card at your convenience. 

Sophon

!!! Why didn't I think of that ?  Thanks.  Just wondering though, will an iPhone navigate in offline mode; I mean I'm thinking it should since it has a GPS but will the driving instructions still work in offline mode?  Never have used Google Maps without cell connection before.  I'll be driving through NYC roads at rush hour after a 23 hours of flying...definitely need driving instructions from the iPhone or I'll lose my mind LOL!

Edited by WaveHunter

4 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

Have you considered renting a car WITH a Nav system. They always seem to ask if I want one when I rent in the States. I guess I must look lost...

Not a bad idea but they really charge ridiculous daily rates for those options on rental cars, and on a 2 week rental that adds up.  Besides, worst case scenario, I'll have a local SIM within 24 hours. So, hoping the other poster's idea of using Google Maps offline works.  Thanks though; appreciate the suggestion.

Edited by WaveHunter

12 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

!!! Why didn't I think of that ?  Thanks.  Just wondering though, will an iPhone navigate in offline mode; I mean I'm thinking it should since it has a GPS but will the driving instructions still work in offline mode?  Never have used Google Maps without cell connection before.  I'll be driving through NYC roads at rush hour after a 23 hours of flying...definitely need driving instructions from the iPhone or I'll lose my mind LOL!

Try the google offline maps locally on your iPhone here in Thailand before you leave.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

Not a bad idea but they really charge ridiculous daily rates for those options on rental cars, and on a 2 week rental that adds up.  Besides, worst case scenario, I'll have a local SIM within 24 hours. So, hoping the other poster's idea of using Google Maps offline works.  Thanks though; appreciate the suggestion.

Virtually all the car rental agencies that have offices at the airport also have offices in the city. You can rent a car with Sat Nav from the airport, and exchange it for a different car a day or two later at one of the city branches. There is no extra charge for this. For one reason or another I've changed cars in the middle of a rental period twice before. No hassle at all from the rental places. In and out in 30 minutes. Just be sure to call ahead so they will have another car for you.

2 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

Virtually all the car rental agencies that have offices at the airport also have offices in the city. You can rent a car with Sat Nav from the airport, and exchange it for a different car a day or two later at one of the city branches. There is no extra charge for this. For one reason or another I've changed cars in the middle of a rental period twice before. No hassle at all from the rental places. In and out in 30 minutes. Just be sure to call ahead so they will have another car for you.

Maybe the days are gone when car rental agencies charged extra for a GPS-enabled ride?

My only complaint about the many rental car GPS's I have encountered is sitting in dark and rain-flooded rental company car park for about 20 minutes learning the idiosyncrasies of each car manufacturers rather esoteric approach to the GPS /human interface. Touch screens... or otherwise, ridiculous alphabet selection via a rotating dial and the 'OK' button, erasing the annoying and worthless custom configuration that the previous longer-term renter had left, arcane Bluetooth pairing menus... all this while trying to decompress after a +10 hour flight. Nothing quite like firing up the OEM GPS in the rental Merc at 10 P.M. in the aforementioned, blustery and rainswept off-airport car rental stand at MAN only to discover that the previous, happy driver was bloody Chinese!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There are apps that work without sim for navigation. Example: Sygic

Offline world or regional maps available for a small fee. Once you have it its for life so no recurring expense, no trying to figure out another vehicle system etc and you can record places of interest to revisit easily or find nearest atm, fuel hotel etc.

Just a suggestion.?

It is amazing how much things have changed, to the bad side 

A few years ago I arrived (very late) to IAD.

A friend was supposed to pick me up but I couldn't bother in middle of night they have kids.

All I had was free airport Wifi and a laptop.

Pay-Phones? If you can find one those are just mobile phones bolted to a wall, you'll need a credit card to use it.

The phone banks to local area hotels/motels don't work anymore.

No taxis to be seen.

All I could find online in the whole DC area checking many sites was a Tysons Corner Ritz-Carlton for $800.

I eventually went down to the curb to beg for a room where there were hotel van drivers picking up the last airline crews. Finally a guy who radioed his front desk said they had  one room but I gave it to a young couple with a baby.

My last resort was to rent a car and drive into the countryside and find a motel, or a highway rest area and likely be murdered by gang members or a serial killer. But the driver came back out of van and said they had another room. About $150 for a Sheraton, worn out room, no fridge, small TV. America,  ruined by greed.

Edited by ChiangMaiLightning2143
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, NanLaew said:

My only complaint about the many rental car GPS's I have encountered is sitting in dark and rain-flooded rental company car park for about 20 minutes learning the idiosyncrasies of each car manufacturers rather esoteric approach to the GPS /human interface. Touch screens... or otherwise, ridiculous alphabet selection via a rotating dial and the 'OK' button, erasing the annoying and worthless custom configuration that the previous longer-term renter .......................

If I'm arriving at night, I ask the attendant to enter in my destination for me (I'm not proud,) watching to be sure he/she doesn't send me to Coventry...  Hopefully, the next morning, refreshed after a good night's sleep, I can deal with either figuring out the system, or exchanging the car, and finding my own sim card for my iPhone..

OP You might want to consider roaming one day with your Thai phone.  My phone is AIS Postpaid and I roamed in the US for 10 days at 1990 THB.  Looking at their site, one day is 499 THB.  The advantage is it's good to go as soon as you land.  I don't know about other providers or plans.  MIght be worth looking into.

4 hours ago, Kelsall said:

OP You might want to consider roaming one day with your Thai phone.  My phone is AIS Postpaid and I roamed in the US for 10 days at 1990 THB.  Looking at their site, one day is 499 THB.  The advantage is it's good to go as soon as you land.  I don't know about other providers or plans.  MIght be worth looking into.

Good suggestion but double check that your phone is fully compatible. The frequency band used for 4G LTE is different than in Thailand.  I previously ran into compatibility problems with an AIS SIM there.  With a Thai Samsung smartphone that works fine on 4G here it would only connect to GPRS in the NYC area.  It would connect 3G is some other areas in the US but not 4G. 

Edited by suzannegoh
  • Like 1

On 9/2/2018 at 9:59 AM, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

A friend was supposed to pick me up but I couldn't bother in middle of night they have kids.

Pay-Phones? If you can find one those are just mobile phones bolted to a wall, you'll need a credit card to use it.

No taxis to be seen.

All I could find online in the whole DC area checking many sites was a Tysons Corner Ritz-Carlton for $800.

I eventually went down to the curb to beg for a room where there were hotel van drivers picking up the last airline crews. Finally a guy who radioed his front desk said they had  one room but I gave it to a young couple with a baby.

My last resort was to rent a car and drive into the countryside and find a motel, or a highway rest area and likely be murdered by gang members or a serial killer. But the driver came back out of van and said they had another room. About $150 for a Sheraton, worn out room, no fridge, small TV. America,  ruined by greed.

Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

If I'm arriving at night, I ask the attendant to enter in my destination for me (I'm not proud,) watching to be sure he/she doesn't send me to Coventry...  Hopefully, the next morning, refreshed after a good night's sleep, I can deal with either figuring out the system, or exchanging the car, and finding my own sim card for my iPhone..

Good it worked for you.

But Shaneeka, despite being quite charming and efficient on the graveyard shift at the car rental pickup counter at MSY, she hadn't a clue about in-car GPS gadgetry or the world beyond Kenner for that matter.

56 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Good it worked for you.

But Shaneeka, despite being quite charming and efficient on the graveyard shift at the car rental pickup counter at MSY, she hadn't a clue about in-car GPS gadgetry or the world beyond Kenner for that matter.

I'm sorry... I should have been more clear. I don't ask the 'rental' agent. I ask the car receiving agents... The ones inside the garage. These guys tend to be mechanics and technicians, and in the two times that I've needed this, came through without a hitch. Of course this only works at airports that don't have a one central receiving hub for all the different companies. I guess I've been lucky with that.

On 9/2/2018 at 9:59 AM, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

No taxis to be seen.

Certainly makes one appreciate the slower pace of life in Thailand where you can set off without a plan, rock up to a Boom Boom Karaoke Resort along the highway and enjoy the same worn out room for only 300 Baht!  They even give you a free television, from 1987, the size of your suitcase. ?

• Like 1