Converting 8mm movie film to digital format

aslimversgwm

42 minutes ago, trevoromgh said:

Depending on how many films you need converting it can be an expensive process so if you fancy a bit of DIY instead then Amazon are selling a machine to do it here and there may be a similar product locally on Lazada. 

Thanks for that. I had already obtained a quote in the UK - where the films are - and that was >GBP400.

I left the films in UK on the understanding a friend could bring them over as and when I found somewhere cheaper here, but that now seems a remote possibility!

I looked at the Amazon link you kindly included but the m/c on offer doesn't hold any reels >  5".

Mine vary from 3" (holding 50ft of film), to about 8" or 9" (holding 300ft to 400ft of film).

Unfortunately I don't have any m/c to transfer the big reels on to smaller ones either!

I am still hopeful someone will come up with other alternative solutions.

I worry that the cine films will deteriorate as they go back between 45 to 55 years in age; apart from the fact I would dearly like to watch them again as they contain many happy family and holiday records.

Also, regrettably, the cine projector I had has been disposed of by an overzealous relative when sorting out her loft space! Aaagh!!

5 minutes ago, aslimversgwm said:

Attached pictures of the cine reels involved - illustrating the various sizes - NOT the total quantity!

20180807_130849[1].jpg

20180807_130955[1].jpg

20180807_131147[1].jpg

20180807_131200[1].jpg

20180807_131140[1].jpg

I said in my earlier response that the films were between 300 and 400 feet. This was from my faulty memory going back over 40 years ago!

From the pictures I took of the reels it looks like the biggest is about 200ft from what I can discern from one of the pics, but it may be a bit bigger than this.

7 hours ago, aslimversgwm said:

Thanks for that. I had already obtained a quote in the UK - where the films are - and that was >GBP400.

I left the films in UK on the understanding a friend could bring them over as and when I found somewhere cheaper here, but that now seems a remote possibility!

I looked at the Amazon link you kindly included but the m/c on offer doesn't hold any reels >  5".

Mine vary from 3" (holding 50ft of film), to about 8" or 9" (holding 300ft to 400ft of film).

Unfortunately I don't have any m/c to transfer the big reels on to smaller ones either!

I am still hopeful someone will come up with other alternative solutions.

I worry that the cine films will deteriorate as they go back between 45 to 55 years in age; apart from the fact I would dearly like to watch them again as they contain many happy family and holiday records.

Also, regrettably, the cine projector I had has been disposed of by an overzealous relative when sorting out her loft space! Aaagh!!

Search in Thai language and you will find somewhere in Bangkok that can do it; although it won't be cheap. I don't think you will find anyone up here.

2 hours ago, aslimversgwm said:

Disappointed that there's nowhere here in Chiang Mai but will search Bkk as suggested 

And you must yourself consider happy to find some place in Bangkok.

I tried to search in Thai language and among others came across a thread in the biggest Thai forum. No clue.

Other results also quite meager.

Please don't forget that 8 mm was never a big deal in Thailand.

At its time it might have been a toy for the upper class at best (if at all).

Never a wide spread hobby.

7 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

And you must yourself consider happy to find some place in Bangkok.

I tried to search in Thai language and among others came across a thread in the biggest Thai forum. No clue.

Other results also quite meager.

Please don't forget that 8 mm was never a big deal in Thailand.

At its time it might have been a toy for the upper class at best (if at all).

Never a wide spread hobby.

Good point but hoping perhaps a farang might have some sort of kit over here - clutching at straws now! 

Archived