Non-Immigrant "O"Visas

When I first came to live in Thailand in 1998 at the age of 55 years, I obtained a one year Retirement "O" Non-Immigrant Visa in my passport.

Since then I have been obtaining a 12 month Extension of Stay stamp every year at the local Immigration office, and subsequently reported to them to confirm my address every 90 days as required. I would add that from time to time whenever I have needed to go somewhere outside Thailand, I have obtained an Exit and Entry stamp from the same Immigration office.

Sometimes I obtained a Multiple Entry & Exit stamp and other times just a Single

Exit & Entry stamp.

I have never questioned whether or not these Extension-of-Stay stamps give the same rights & conditions as the original "O" Non-immigrant Visa stamp obtained at a Thai Embassy outside the country some 20 years ago.

But recently an acquaintance of mine informed me that he had to go back to his country of origin (which was England) every year to renew his 12 month Non-immigrant "O" Visa and get a Multiple Entry & Exit stamp. When I told him that he could do both of those things at am Immigration office here, he told me that I was wrong, and that it could only be done at a Thai Embassy.

He was so emphatic that it has got me wondering who

is correct.

Sent from my SM-J120G using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You are correct.

But he may be having to do it since he cannot meet the the financial requirements for the extension based upon retirement. He is probably getting a state pension that allows him to apply for a multiple entry non-o visa that allows unlimited 90 day entries for a year from the date of issue.

At a guess your friend is single, aged 65 or above and receiving the state pension.

He can obtain the multi entry Non Imm O Visa from the Thai Embassy in the UK.

This Visa allows 90 day entries. He will be making border runs very 90 days if this is the case.

He could apply for an extension based on retirement, but would need to meet the financial requirements.

I'd hazard at a guess he can't, hence returning to the UK for the Visa.

On 9/2/2018 at 2:33 AM, Farangdad said:

Never heard of an O-A Visa, what does that allow that an O doesn't?

Embassy in some countries, e.g. in the US will not issue an O visa without a Thai relative (wife children). I think that was the original intent of the O visa - a visa for someone who has a Thai family connection (children, wife). The only long-term visa for somebody to retire (or stay long-term) issued in the US embassies are multiple entry O-A visa. 

I don't think this visa can be renewed (permission of stay can be extended based on retirement inside Thailand). However, one can get the same visa  multiple times (after an existing one expires) in the US. 

2 minutes ago, Farangdad said:

If not, I can't see any advantage in having an O-A instead of an O.

A non-o visa only allows 90 day entries which means you have to leave the country every 90 days.

A OA visa allows you stay for one year in the country without leaving and you only have to 90 day reports to immigration (in person, online or by mail).

• Like 1

I am fairly sure that what you have said about holders of an O visa extention of stay stamp must leave the country every 90 days is not correct if the stamp contains the word RETIREMENT and states that permission is granted up to (and states a date 12 months later than the granting date), then the only requirement is that if the holder leaves Thailand during the permission period granted that the holder obtains an exit & re-entry permit and that the holder confirms his or her residence every 90 days.

20 minutes ago, Farangdad said:

I am fairly sure that what you have said about holders of an O visa extention of stay stamp must leave the country every 90 days is not correct if the stamp contains the word RETIREMENT and states that permission is granted up to (and states a date 12 months later than the granting date), then the only requirement is that if the holder leaves Thailand during the permission period granted that the holder obtains an exit & re-entry permit and that the holder confirms his or her residence every 90 days.

You wrote this.

4 hours ago, Farangdad said:

If not, I can't see any advantage in having an O-A instead of an O.

That implied a non-o multiple entry visa not a extension of stay based upon retirement.

A O visa is not extended, The 90 day permit to stay from it is extended.

• Like 1

As I now understand it, an O visa is the type you get from the Thai Embassy in your country of origin before you come here (which csan be for one year) and an O-A Visa is the description of one you obtain from Immigration after the one year O visa has expired and this is done by one year extensions of stay with 90 day reporting on residence (home address in Thailand) granted subject to proof of 800,000 Baht in a Thai Bank for at least 90 days before applying to renew (or pension of at least 65,000 per month confirmed by your Embassy).

This info was given to me by a well known visa agent who confirms that the stamp from the Immigration office stating that the extension of permission to stay is granted to for a period ending at a date entered by them (one year ahead) constitutes an O-A Visa provided it contains the stamp stating RETIREMENT as I have acquired every year since 1998 (and am about to do again soon). Are you still telling me I am WRONG?

It doesn't really matter to me what they call it, as long as I have permission to live here and only have to obtain that permission once a year. The 90 day reporting that I still live in the same place does not bother me. Nor does having to obtain an exit & reentry stamp in order to go out of the country.

This info was given to me by a well known visa agent who confirms that the stamp from the Immigration office stating that the extension of permission to stay is granted to for a period ending at a date entered by them (one year ahead) constitutes an O-A Visa provided it contains the stamp stating RETIREMENT as I have acquired every year since 1998 (and am about to do again soon). Are you still telling me I am WRONG?

It would appear so , yes !

An O-A visa can only be obtained in your home country .This has always been the case !

It is a multi entry visa valid for 1 year.
Upon entry you will get a stamp for 1 year.
So, by entering the country just before it expires you can squeeze almost 2 years out of it .
1st year is multi entry , 2nd year needs a re entry permit.
After this you obtain a 1 year extension based on retirement.
You report every 90 days that you stay in the country consecutively .

NO! You are definitely completely wrong.
You had better check your source of information again, as I have just done.
Because you got me worried that I might have been living here illegally for the last 20 years.

Are you replying to my post ??

If so, then I think you should be worried.

My source of information was obtained from the Thai Embassy in London website.
Check it out !

I obtained the O-A in October 2016 , did a border run September last year and am now permitted to stay until 25/09/2018 when I will get an extension of stay.

It doesn't really matter to me what they call it, as long as I have permission to live here and only have to obtain that permission once a year. The 90 day reporting that I still live in the same place does not bother me. Nor does having to obtain an exit & reentry stamp in order to go out of the country.

It seems you are on an extension of stay based on retirement valid for one year coming from your original Non O visa and are not here illegally ( I would like to believe).
An O-A visa is different but in a couple of weeks I will get an extension based on retirement and be in the same position as yourself ( 1 year stay, reporting to immigration every consecutive 90 days in the country and , if I travel, entering Thailand with a re-entry permit ).

What your friend has is either an O-A or an O visa and the reason he obtains a new visa every year is probably ( as Ubonjoe stated ) he doesn’t meet the financial requirements.

43 minutes ago, Farangdad said:

NO! You are definitely completely wrong.
You had better check your source of information again, as I have just done.
Because you got me worried that I might have been living here illegally for the last 20 years.

You are mixed up about the whole immigration process, but do not have to worry. You are legally in Thailand on an extension, based on retirement, of your original permission to stay.

An O-A visa (today always multiple entry) is only issued in your home country's Thai embassy.

There is a process generally called "conversion" by which you can receive a 90-day non immigrant entry from an immigration office in Thailand, even though you originally entered using a tourist entry. Subsequently, you can do what I am confident you have been doing which is getting one-year extensions of your permission to stay.