Alternative to True Fitness Asoke

gppower

I will be in Bangkok for a few days in September. Since the True Fitness gym in Asoke closed, I have been looking for an alternative (free weights and machines, no cardio nor classes).

So far I have tried the Muscle Factory in soi 56. The gym is absolutely great and prices are correct too. The only issue is the lack of air conditioning. Training a few sessions without your body being adjusted to the weather feels like a punishment.

I would like to know if there are other choices. I have heard there is a Fitness First in Terminal 21. Reviews are bad though....

Muscle factory looks great from the pictures I see.

Virgin Active in EMQuartier is good, but on the expensive side. 800b/day, but if it's just for a few days, maybe it's ok? Includes towels and even gym clothes if you don't have your own.

Yeah, the gym looks posh and attracts those who like posh gyms, but they have squat racks, you can deadlift, and they even have a separate olympic weightlifting square.

On 9/7/2018 at 12:29 PM, Awk said:

Muscle factory looks great from the pictures I see.

Virgin Active in EMQuartier is good, but on the expensive side. 800b/day, but if it's just for a few days, maybe it's ok? Includes towels and even gym clothes if you don't have your own.

Yeah, the gym looks posh and attracts those who like posh gyms, but they have squat racks, you can deadlift, and they even have a separate olympic weightlifting square.

Muscle factory is really good and since my last visit they have built new rack stations for squat and olympic weightlifting. As I mentioned, the only problem is that there is no air con. I can see that doesn't bother the other people in the gym, most probably because they are used to the heat.  If you are not though you come out of there soaked and drained.  

The Virgin Active gym is worth a visit though if you say that they have squat racks and free weights. They don't mention a day pass in their website. It is possible that they charge you also with an "activation fee" on top. We'll see. If it becomes too silly I will swallow the bitter pill and suffer at the Muscle factory.....

10 hours ago, gppower said:

Muscle factory is really good and since my last visit they have built new rack stations for squat and olympic weightlifting. As I mentioned, the only problem is that there is no air con. I can see that doesn't bother the other people in the gym, most probably because they are used to the heat.  If you are not though you come out of there soaked and drained.  

Mmm, know the feeling.   One gets used to it, but everyone prefers aircon I think.

10 hours ago, gppower said:

The Virgin Active gym is worth a visit though if you say that they have squat racks and free weights. They don't mention a day pass in their website. It is possible that they charge you also with an "activation fee" on top. We'll see. If it becomes too silly I will swallow the bitter pill and suffer at the Muscle factory.....

They have day passes (that's what I usually use since I'm in Bangkok to little to make it a membership worth it).  800 baht per day and no activitation fee, though I think you have to register and fill out some form the first time you go there.   Think the rate gets discounted to 750 baht on subsequent visits, though you might have to ask for it.

Same floor as the cinema and not far from it.

• Thanks 1