Shipping A Scooter To Australia

i am moving back to oz in a few months. would love to take my scooter (owned for 2 years) as they are expensive in Oz. 

wondering if anyone had done this. got a few other things as well which i'd like to take if the price for shipping is reasonable.

Has ANYONE DONE THIS?

keen to learn more...

I don't have a clue about specific models, or Australian law.  But keep in mind that a scooter made for the Thai market may not meet the safety or emissions standards of any other country in the world.  Even if it's an identical model, it may not have the certificate that says it meets the standards.  That process can cost $ millions, which precludes small batches being imported (and can be the main reason for the cost differentials in many cases).

I'm not saying don't do it.  But don't do it unless you have a definitive answer for how much it will cost (shipping plus customs plus inspections to verify it can even be brought in).  Then, make sure you can get it titled and registered in the state/province where you'll be living.  You may need more documents than you have, just to get it titled.

Or your scooter may end up at one of those customs auctions in the lot labelled "for re-export only"

Don't do it, like some have already said, the import tax may be Big, but the main problem is compliance. I know for Victoria it's a nightmare. My friend brought an Enfield in India, and just the import tax made it a good deal, but he had to get compliance plates done, and the only place that could do that was in SA  (maybe because of the make ) which cost him more in freight than the ship from India.Then he had to get modifications done, which actually affected his resale value. And increased the registration fee.

Your best bet is to look for a low mileage secondhand scooter ( Honda or Yamaha ) in Australia.

Bear in mind there are some locations in Australia where it is dangerous to ride a scooter, because they don't have enough power or weight to cope with different traffic conditions. High side winds in winter in Melbourne are a hazard. Our nanny state brain-dead police have decreed a scooter rider can't use the emergency lanes on freeways. Bicycle riders get more legal protection, for <deleted> sake. That's why scooter riders in Australia are a rarity - it's either bigger bikes, or get a car.

11 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Your best bet is to look for a low mileage secondhand scooter ( Honda or Yamaha ) in Australia.

Bear in mind there are some locations in Australia where it is dangerous to ride a scooter, because they don't have enough power or weight to cope with different traffic conditions. High side winds in winter in Melbourne are a hazard. Our nanny state brain-dead police have decreed a scooter rider can't use the emergency lanes on freeways. Bicycle riders get more legal protection, for <deleted> sake. That's why scooter riders in Australia are a rarity - it's either bigger bikes, or get a car.

If you want to ride a scooter in Aust you need to wear a dress. say no more, is this a joke or what?

Your biggest problem is going to be compliance with the Australian Standards for that type of vehicle. I have a 2005 Isuzu Space Cab and it would be cheaper for me to buy a new vehicle than to pay for the import and the alterations  for it to meet the Australian Standards both with the emission control and other features like Airbags for both driver at passenger (Thai vehicles are not required to have airbags). My suggestion is to sell your scooter here before you leave and buy something in Australia.

15 hours ago, 1sickpuppy said:

If you want to ride a scooter in Aust you need to wear a dress. say no more, is this a joke or what?

Oh, I get it. I'm not a real man unless I'm covered in tatts and ride some farting monster such as a Harley.

Sorry, forgot the 10 kg of chains.

11 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Oh, I get it. I'm not a real man unless I'm covered in tatts and ride some farting monster such as a Harley.

Sorry, forgot the 10 kg of chains.

Speak with a deep voice and say "<deleted>" a lot!

Archived