Man found electrocuted at Pathum Thani fish pond

webfact

Man found electrocuted at Pathum Thani fish pond

By The Nation

gihdc6fiebec5jei57997.jpg

A Pathum Thani man catching fish in a private pond was electrocuted sometime overnight Monday, probably by inadvertently grabbing a live electric wire ringing the pond to prevent poaching.

The body of Boonruam Tri-inthong, 36, was found lying beside the pond in Tambon Bang Luang, Muang Pathum Thani, at 6am Tuesday.

There was an electrical burn on his left hand.

Pond owner Sam-ang Preethong, 67, said he came out to feed his fish and found the body, Boonruam’s motorcycle, a fishing net and a bag containing his catch.

Although Boonruam had told his wife, Pecha Srithong, 44, he was going out to hunt for frogs, the bag contained fish.

The body was sent to Thammsat University Hospital for an autopsy.

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-09-04

Not that I agree with thievery but.....  I wonder if the pond owner feels the slightest hint of remorse?  Or a sense of satisfaction that his anti-theft device worked as intended, and that death by electrocution is an appropriate sentence for petty theft.

15 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Not that I agree with thievery but.....  I wonder if the pond owner feels the slightest hint of remorse?  Or a sense of satisfaction that his anti-theft device worked as intended, and that death by electrocution is an appropriate sentence for petty theft.

Poetic justice in my book as he should not have been stealing.   3 years ago I had over 100,000 baht of fish stolen from one of our ponds over a weekend.  The local police suggested something along similar lines as security,  and with a warning sign in Thai to ensure no comeback in the event of a further attempted theft.

2 minutes ago, Esso49 said:

Poetic justice in my book as he should not have been stealing.   3 years ago I had over 100,000 baht of fish stolen from one of our ponds over a weekend.  The local police suggested something along similar lines as security,  and with a warning sign in Thai to ensure no comeback in the event of a further attempted theft.

Something alone the lines of: 'Thieves will be killed'?

My father-in-law has a licensed gun, which he has used a few times to shoot at fish thieves on his fish farm.

The survivors thieves don't come back.

5 minutes ago, Esso49 said:

Sure, I get it.  I'm not being precious about it.  

Still, I was wondering if the pond/land owner, upon seeing the actual fruits of his labor - a cold, dead lump of human meat on the ground - did it cause him to reflect at all on the sanity of his decision that killing a person for stealing, or attempting to steal, fish, was a totally rationale, balanced approach to the problem.  

I would like to think most sensible people would consider lesser methods, like a fence, some lights, a camera, maybe a dog.  

Not this guy.  He goes straight to the Final Solution.  Try to steal my fish, you die. 

So he got the gear, rigged it up, threw the switch and went "live" with the premeditated intent to kill a person.  And it worked.  He got one.  :crazy:

Wonder how many he has electrocuted this month,

surely a better, less lethal method would be PIR

lights and alarms,then he could be alerted to thieves

and come out with a gun and shoot them,more sporting too.

regards worgeordie

2 hours ago, Esso49 said:

A death sentence for stealing fish seems somewhat extreme, even here. One should be able to take reasonable precautions against theft, with the emphasis on reasonable. Bare wires carrying a lethal voltage are clearly not in this category. Supposing the victim had been a mischievous child. . .

My biggest concern is that he could have killed a group of kids out on an innocent lark.

For a few bucks more, he could have bought or cobbled together a non-lethal system that would have been just as effective at stopping a casual theft, and deterring kids out on a lark.

That said, a determined thief could have easily defeated the non-lethal system after being shocked once and survived.

For a few hundred $$$, he could have installed a security camera, but I'm not going to guess how effective that would have been, or whether he could afford it.  

Unfortunately, we'll probably never hear what happens to the guy or learn how Thai law handles situations like this.

2 minutes ago, impulse said:

My biggest concern is that he could have killed a group of kids out on an innocent lark.

For a few bucks more, he could have bought or cobbled together a non-lethal system that would have been just as effective at stopping a casual theft, and deterring kids out on a lark.

That said, a determined thief could have easily defeated the non-lethal system after being shocked once and survived.

For a few hundred $$$, he could have installed a security camera, but I'm not going to guess how effective that would have been, or whether he could afford it.  

Unfortunately, we'll probably never hear what happens to the guy or learn how Thai law handles situations like this.

I take your point.

My F-I-L as I said earlier has shot at thieves in the night, for stealing fish.

The family has twice in the past two years phoned the police during the night over the same thing. The police refuse to turn up, giving every excuse in the book.

My wife said a lot of it - apart from laziness - is due to being scared of going out of town into the country at night. She said that a few times over the years, the police have been attacked and beaten up by locals, frustrated by their laziness when the locals genuinely needed help.

How the law deals with it is completely different as to how the police don't deal with it.

3 hours ago, 55Jay said:

Sure, I get it.  I'm not being precious about it.  

Still, I was wondering if the pond/land owner, upon seeing the actual fruits of his labor - a cold, dead lump of human meat on the ground - did it cause him to reflect at all on the sanity of his decision that killing a person for stealing, or attempting to steal, fish, was a totally rationale, balanced approach to the problem.  

I would like to think most sensible people would consider lesser methods, like a fence, some lights, a camera, maybe a dog.  

Not this guy.  He goes straight to the Final Solution.  Try to steal my fish, you die. 

So he got the gear, rigged it up, threw the switch and went "live" with the premeditated intent to kill a person.  And it worked.  He got one.  :crazy:

Yea it works and is cheap to install,,,,,   

56 minutes ago, impulse said:

He could have got an electric fence unit that is used for cattle, when set up right they can give you a fair electric shock.

We rear a few cattle and use an electric fence and I have had a few good shocks, with solid insulated metal posts, and strong tight wire it should act as good deterrent.with a minimal cost.

But being a fish farmer probably does not know about cattle fencer units, just what other fish farmers do or have done. ie the mains method .

5 hours ago, Esso49 said:

Prob a Heron or Egret. They love pond robbing...e-z pickins!  Image result for egret and fish cartoon images

6 hours ago, 55Jay said:

Remorse,your having a laugh.hes probably billing the widow for using his electric.

1 hour ago, Skeptic7 said:

Prob a Heron or Egret. They love pond robbing...e-z pickins!  Image result for egret and fish cartoon images

Dont be a prat, or are you Thai ?  My fish were between 8 and 20 kg each.    Love to see a bird that big who could steal those.  And more to the point ,  a bird more intelligent than yourself who could use an explosive to stun the fish before capture.

50 minutes ago, Esso49 said:

Dont be a prat, or are you Thai ?  My fish were between 8 and 20 kg each.    Love to see a bird that big who could steal those.  And more to the point ,  a bird more intelligent than yourself who could use an explosive to stun the fish before capture.

:cheesy: ? :cheesy: 

Archived