O/a visa requirement in Australia

Did my o/a visa back in 2011 and needed to get all documents sorted and then to a lawyer to be bound and notarised, my mate here in Aus has been here since November sick his 0/a has expired he is going through the process again and says they don’t require being notarised? Can any members advise on this

Still shown the Canberra embassy website. 

Instruction:

• When you have prepared all the original documents as required, you must then make 2 copies of each document.
  • Afterward, you must separate the documents into 3 sets. Within these sets, you should arrange the documents in the order given above.  All together you will have 1 set of the original documents and 2 sets of copies.
  • You must take all 3 sets to a Notary Public to bind and notarize each set. The binding and notarization of documents must only be done by a Notary Public or Justice of the Peace.  

But not shown on the Sydney consulate website. Not sure if that is a mistake or their new policy. I would suggest anybody apply there to confirm.

15 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

But not shown on the Sydney consulate website. Not sure if that is a mistake or their new policy. I would suggest anybody apply there to confirm.

Thanks for your reply it is a bit confusing as you say. I have told my mate to make a call to the Thai Embassy sydney  to confirm as to what they require 

30 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Would it be a lot simpler to apply for OA Visa, assume for retirement purposes, in Thailand?

14 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Would it be a lot simpler to apply for OA Visa, assume for retirement purposes, in Thailand?

A OA visa can only be applied for at a embassy or official Thai consulate.

You can apply for a extension of stay based upon retirement at immigration here.

Not that hard to get a OA visa dependent upon where you apply. It is a matter of opinion as to which is easier.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

A OA visa can only be applied for at a embassy or official Thai consulate.

You can apply for a extension of stay based upon retirement at immigration here.

Not that hard to get a OA visa dependent upon where you apply. It is a matter of opinion as to which is easier.

Apologies, I should of said, apply for 90 day Non immigrant visa in Oz, then apply for a extension of stay based upon retirement at immigration in Thailand. I took that path some years back & was very easy.

2 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Apologies, I should of said, apply for 90 day Non immigrant visa in Oz, then apply for a extension of stay based upon retirement at immigration in Thailand.

A non-o visa based upon being 50 or over is not available in Oz and in many other countries now.

Most people are getting tourist visa and changing them to a non-o visa at immigration here now.

• Thanks 1

Well still a tad confusing my mate phoned the embassy here in Sydney they advised him he does not need to have his documents notarised and bound?? They said must get a JP to witness the documents, one problem my mate says there is no place for a JP to sign? I told him get a JP to sign every page. Mind you he may sort all this take it to the Embassy and they may change their mind on the above. Thank you to all on here for offering assistance