Non-B visa OK - but company refuses to support dependent visa

Hi, my (non-Thai) wife is starting a new job soon, and the company just informed us that while they will be able to arrange a work permit and Non-B visa for her and a dependent visa for our (non-Thai) son, they won't be able to support me with obtaining a spouse visa.

I'm pretty confused by this, as I always thought the procedure for spouse and child-dependant visas would be pretty much the same? Am I making the wrong assumption? Would love any input on this, so we can hopefully convince the company to retract this decision. 

They don't have to sponsor your or your child's extensions of stay based upon your wife's extension of stay.

No mention of anything from the company here. https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_20

I assume what they are saying is that they will not assist with the extension applications.

Do you both already have non-o visas that are required to apply for the extensions.

36 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

They don't have to sponsor your or your child's extensions of stay based upon your wife's extension of stay.

No mention of anything from the company here. https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_20

I assume what they are saying is that they will not assist with the extension applications.

Do you both already have non-o visas that are required to apply for the extensions.

Hey Joe, thanks for your input. I wasn't clear: we are currently on tourist visas, and my wife will get a Non-B + work permit soon. The company is willing to provide a letter for my kid to obtain his dependant visa (based on the wife's work permit and non-b), but does not want to support me with the same and asked me to figure out a different visa option for myself... 

6 hours ago, CJansen1992 said:

Hey Joe, thanks for your input. I wasn't clear: we are currently on tourist visas, and my wife will get a Non-B + work permit soon. The company is willing to provide a letter for my kid to obtain his dependant visa (based on the wife's work permit and non-b), but does not want to support me with the same and asked me to figure out a different visa option for myself... 

Not sure what their problem is. Assisting you with getting the visa or extension does not make them responsible or obligated for anything.

Perhaps they are thinking that only one family member can obtain the visa and extension. The link I posted does not say only one family member can get the extension.

Edited by ubonjoe
correct typo

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Perhaps they are thinking that only one family member can obtain the visa and extension. The link I posted does not say only one family member can get the extension

Is that a recent change?

For 12.5 years working with 2 different companies both of them provided the paperwork for my wife and daughter to get dependent visas.