Is there a certain amount of time I have to be married to a Thai person before I can get a work permit with only 2 other Thai employees?

Here's my situation:

I will be getting married in Thailand, to a Thai woman, in the next couple of months, and immediately after that will start work with a company in Bangkok. This company can't currently support a work permit for me because they only have 2 Thai staff that are not already supporting a foreigner work permit (4 Thai staff total, 2 of them are used so another foreigner-married-to-Thai can have a work permit).

My question is, is there a certain amount of time after my marriage that the 'only needing 2 Thai employees to sponsor a foreigner work permit' won't work? Or can I get married and begin the process of getting the work permit immediately?

Any advice is appreciated.

6 minutes ago, FaRangsit said:

My question is, is there a certain amount of time after my marriage that the 'only needing 2 Thai employees to sponsor a foreigner work permit' won't work?

No. And just because you are married doesn't mean the department issuing the work permit will reduce the Thai employee requirement to two. There is no automatic entitlement.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, elviajero said:

No. And just because you are married doesn't mean the department issuing the work permit will reduce the Thai employee requirement to two. There is no automatic entitlement.

Oh, this is news to me. Who decides if the company needs 2 or 4 Thai staff to sponsor me then? I was under the impression if you are married to a Thai national it only requires two Thai staff for you to get a work permit.

21 minutes ago, FaRangsit said:

I was under the impression if you are married to a Thai national it only requires two Thai staff for you to get a work permit.

The ministerial order that stated only 2 employees was changed in 2010 or early 2011. So the rule no longer exists but some work permit offices will still allow only 2 Thai employees.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The ministerial order that stated only 2 employees was changed in 2010 or early 2011. So the rule no longer exists but some work permit offices will still allow only 2 Thai employees.

Well crumb. Is there a certain amount of time the Thai employees have to be working there first? Or could they hire 2 more workers and then the 4 would be able to sponsor me in a couple months?

1 minute ago, FaRangsit said:

Well crumb. Is there a certain amount of time the Thai employees have to be working there first? Or could they hire 2 more workers and then the 4 would be able to sponsor me in a couple months?

There is no set amount of the time they need be working for the company. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

There is no set amount of the time they need be working for the company. 

On the other hand, I believe you will need to show 3 months of SS payment receipts to get an Extension of Stay based on the WP. However, I am not sure if that applies for the first application, since that will happen before the company/employees have three months of history.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, timendres said:

On the other hand, I believe you will need to show 3 months of SS payment receipts to get an Extension of Stay based on the WP.

He may not be doing that. He can apply for an extension based upon marriage.