Thais warned: Tampering with the electricity meter can get you a criminal conviction

webfact

On 9/9/2018 at 11:25 AM, possum1931 said:

Yes as far as I know, I pay my wife half of what I paid her before the solar panels were fitted, and when I asked her a long time ago she said yes.

Many Thanks, I feel a project coming on........:thumbsup:

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Spidey said:

It's used for testing/ commissioning and calibrating during manufacture. Can be used (with the right software) to change the rate of the meter.

Just examined my meter, there are no external plugs or sockets that I could connect a PC, Laptop, Tablet or Phone too.

Yes, there probably will be a plug socket inside to up load the firmware ant test but you will have to break the seals and take the meter apart to get to it.

There is what appears to be an infrared link but I an sure that was for the meter readers use and is as far as I know never used.

Anyway, I do know when there is suspicion of meter tampering the meters get changed and the old meters, seals and cables are put in a sealed evidence bag an sent back for further investigation.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Just examined my meter, there are no external plugs or sockets that I could connect a PC, Laptop, Tablet or Phone too.

Yes, there probably will be a plug socket inside to up load the firmware ant test but you will have to break the seals and take the meter apart to get to it.

There is what appears to be an infrared link but I an sure that was for the meter readers use and is as far as I know never used.

Anyway, I do know when there is suspicion of meter tampering the meters get changed and the old meters, seals and cables are put in a sealed evidence bag an sent back for further investigation.

Yes, you've got it, it's on the PCB, inside the meter. If the meter was suspect, all that could be proved was that the calibration is way out. Doubt that they could pin that on the consumer.

6 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Yes, you've got it, it's on the PCB, inside the meter. If the meter was suspect, all that could be proved was that the calibration is way out. Doubt that they could pin that on the consumer.

They could prove it was because the seals were tampered with. 

Had a call from PEA a few days back telling us they wanted to change the meter as it is now ten years old, they duly came down the next day and without pulling any of the head fuses took out the red yellow and blue cables one at a time, wrapped each one carefully in insulating tape, then after removing the meter cut a few strands off each of the phase cables as the new meter had smaller terminals then put them back in the new meter, all this whilst the tails were live and just three meters from the 50kva transformer.  

The most common way is to shove a shunt wire up between where the two live wire go into meter, but you can not get big heavy cables in so the joints tend to be high resistance, and due to the cables often being smaller than that required for the load you will get heat and burning, sometimes a fire.

Saw one a few weeks ago where the idiot (who was on holiday "at Her Majesties Pleasure") had removed both Live and Neutral cables, and they were just left touching their respective cables at right angles...

4 minutes ago, Spidey said:

A much easier frig. Dodgy leccy cards are sold everywhere in the UK.

Do not think they are, but if the supplier sees there are no payments they will investigate, in most cases we find (or find evidence of) a bypass and never seen a or heard of fake cards, so that's why I think the dodgy leccy cards is rubbish apart from they would need to compile and encrypted string of data that is based on a secret formula that includes a code unique to the meter but not the serial number and they would need the data from the original card issued by the supplier.

Probably the best way to avoid payment is to get some kids toys and walking aids, scatter them around the front garden and put some boot polish on your face, put on a woman's dress when you get a visit by your suppliers representative. :cheesy:

You just accuse them of discrimination.

Edited by Basil B
  • Sad 1