Parmesan Cheese? I don't think so.

giddyup

1 hour ago, KneeDeep said:

It, not if.

You get so excited, that you make mistakes in the only part of your post that isn't a cut and paste.

So what is the purpose of your link? To let us know that E460 is categorised as an "Anti-caking agent , Bulking agent , Gelling agent , Stabiliser , Thickener , Carrier" ?

We already know.

Any reason why you omitted E 460(i), E 460(ii), E 461, E 462, E 463, E 464, E 465, E 466, E 468 and E 469? 

But what has this to do with anything? It is not in the UK sold grated hard cheese product, but it is, together with food starch, in the USA product.

Why is it there? It is not required. It is not in the UK sold product.

It's there to save the US company having to put more dried grated hard cheese in the carton. 

What worse is that you actually commended the product. Shattering your credibility here once and for all.

It seems you like being punch drunk. You keep coming back for more.

1.  There is nothing harmful in the Parmesan cheese in the OP. See EU regulations above. 

2.  There seems to be only 2 people posting in this thread that have tasted the Parmesan cheese in question, me and the OP.

3,  KneeDeep does not have a clue because he has never tasted the product.

4.  Prejudice is defined as Preconceived opinion not based on experience. 

The question in my mind is not so much what the name of the cheese is but does it taste good in the intended use of the economy grated cheese; Topping on Pizza or Spaghetti or lasagna or onion soup.   

In Thailand

Grated American economy Parmesan 200 baht for  200 grams

Italian Parmesan cheese not grated 1000 baht for 200 grams

Is that a fair comparison?  Of course not.  If you put the Parmesan on spiced up pizza or spaghetti could you tell much difference?  Maybe but for the difference in price I would hope so.  

The question becomes who has the most educated palate the OP or me?  Is the economy American grated cheese safe to use on spaghetti or pizza?  Sure (see EU reg E460 cellulose). Is the American economy grated Parmesan worth 200 baht?  Probably.  Only I or the OP have an educated unprejudiced opinion as no one else has tasted it. 

Looking at Kneedeep's repeated numerous slurs about American food being crap.  I think he has a preconceived opinion and not a fair opinion because he is prejudiced and never tasted or has no experience with Redwood farms grated Parmesan cheese.  And should probably disqualify himself from any discussion about taste, quality of Redwood farms grated Parmesan cheese because of lack of experience with the product. 

All the proofe of a pudding, is in the eating .  English author William Camden for the modern iteration in 1623

Marcus.jpg

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, The manic said:

Indeed. But the abuses continue to this day which is why most USA livestock products are banned in Europe. 

Alternatively, Europe could be banning American products for protectionist reasons, or simply because they've got stupid, meaningless rules about stuff. You can write all you want about bad American food, but hell, I perceive been eating it for 63 years and I haven't died of food poisoning yet

1 hour ago, Nyezhov said:

Alternatively, Europe could be banning American products for protectionist reasons, or simply because they've got stupid, meaningless rules about stuff. You can write all you want about bad American food, but hell, I perceive been eating it for 63 years and I haven't died of food poisoning yet

The factory farming lobby is poweful enough to influence corrupt American law makes but not Countries like the EU, Australia, Canada, Japan etc. You might be healthy but there is a fpod relatedhealth crisis in the USA and I think there really is an issue with Growth Hormones,  Prophylactic Antibiotic; use  GM foods soaked in pesticides; and chlorinated chicken etc

https://www.unilad.co.uk/grub/american-foods-that-are-banned-around-the-world/

Also Canada, Japan, Australia etc

https://www.cancerdefeated.com/newsletters/American-Beef-is-Banned-in-Europe-and-Much-of-the-Rest-of-the-World.html

https://www.mercola.com/infographics/10-banned-foods.htm

And interestingly the American foods that are modified for export having had the poision removed . Compare ingredients

https://thetruthaboutcancer.com/america-worst-food-quality-safety/

3 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

1.  There is nothing harmful in the Parmesan cheese in the OP. See EU regulations above. 

2.  There seems to be only 2 people posting in this thread that have tasted the Parmesan cheese in question, me and the OP.

3,  KneeDeep does not have a clue because he has never tasted the product.

4.  Prejudice is defined as Preconceived opinion not based on experience. 

The question in my mind is not so much what the name of the cheese is but does it taste good in the intended use of the economy grated cheese; Topping on Pizza or Spaghetti or lasagna or onion soup.   

In Thailand

Grated American economy Parmesan 200 baht for  200 grams

Italian Parmesan cheese not grated 1000 baht for 200 grams

Is that a fair comparison?  Of course not.  If you put the Parmesan on spiced up pizza or spaghetti could you tell much difference?  Maybe but for the difference in price I would hope so.  

The question becomes who has the most educated palate the OP or me?  Is the economy American grated cheese safe to use on spaghetti or pizza?  Sure (see EU reg E460 cellulose). Is the American economy grated Parmesan worth 200 baht?  Probably.  Only I or the OP have an educated unprejudiced opinion as no one else has tasted it. 

Looking at Kneedeep's repeated numerous slurs about American food being crap.  I think he has a preconceived opinion and not a fair opinion because he is prejudiced and never tasted or has no experience with Redwood farms grated Parmesan cheese.  And should probably disqualify himself from any discussion about taste, quality of Redwood farms grated Parmesan cheese because of lack of experience with the product. 

All the proofe of a pudding, is in the eating .  English author William Camden for the modern iteration in 1623

Sorry, but your posts are too long winded and nonsensical for me to continue to read them.

To cut a long story short, it's not a argument as to whether a food starch, cellulose and potassium sorbate mix is unhealthy. It simply does not belong there in the first place.

If you and your fellow American are happy to eat it, then don't let me get in your way.

But I for one am happy that you are blocked from exporting it to the EU.

It one of the things that concerns me about Brexit. That Trump will try to insist that we have to allow that crap to be imported in order to get a fair deal.

I don't know what else you wrote, but I know for sure that it will be nonsense, as your other posts on this thread have indicated.

Why on earth would you choose a product with added food starch, cellulose and potassium sorbate if it is not necessary??

Your answer is that it tastes better to you. So eat it. Don't let me stop you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

It one of the things that concerns me about Brexit. That Trump will try to insist that we have to allow that crap to be imported in order to get a fair deal.

Well if no one buys it,they aren't going to import it. It's called the free market.

8 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

Sorry, but your posts are too long winded and nonsensical for me to continue to read them.

To cut a long story short, it's not a argument as to whether a food starch, cellulose and potassium sorbate mix is unhealthy. It simply does not belong there in the first place.

If you and your fellow American are happy to eat it, then don't let me get in your way.

But I for one am happy that you are blocked from exporting it to the EU.

I don't know what else you wrote, but I know for sure that it will be nonsense, as your other posts on this thread have indicated.

Why on earth would you choose a product with added food starch, cellulose and potassium sorbate if it is not necessary??

Your answer is that it tastes better to you. So eat it. Don't let me stop you.

Now you wrote above, "To cut a long story short, it's not a argument as to whether a food starch, cellulose and potassium sorbate mix is unhealthy. It simply does not belong there in the first place."

A few posts ago you wrote, "Yes, that was the topic from the very beginning. Did you miss that?

The OP bought crap because of the misleading label. Admittedly the "blend" part of the label was obscured by the Thai translation label. But that fact is that the product simply would not be allowed to be labelled as such in Europe and the UK.

Grated hard cheese is as close as it would get and certain not with as much as 37% of unrelated ingredients.

So yes, we have been referring to poor US food standards from the very beginning.

Deal with it."

So, you tried to hijack the thread from a specific Parmesan cheese to American food standards because you never tasted the cheese in question. 

I suggest you start a thread about American food standards so you can save us all from your misdirection of this thread on Parmesan cheese. 

I think we can all see that a cheese for 1000 baht is not going to be the same as a cheese for 200 baht nor can they be constructively compared.  The same for cheese available in the UK and cheese available in Thailand.  It's just not apples to apples. 

Did the OP get ripped off or not?  Are there other cheeses available in Thailand for the same purpose that are better?  The OP thinks there is not enough Parmesan in the cheese he bought to call it Parmesan.  OK.  Call it Parmesan (like) cheese.  Doesn't seem to be a big problem to me. 

Edited by marcusarelus

On 9/15/2018 at 9:05 AM, xylophone said:

Correction...…...not too many years ago the US produced and sold "Champagne", "White Burgundy", "Burgundy", "Chablis" and so on until the "Protected Designation of Origin" rules came into being. So labelling by varietals then became the norm.

However even now in my local Big C one can buy a litre carafe of Paul Masson Burgundy...…..and it's not the same!!

Anyway off topic so back on to Parmesan cheese! 

Yes, you are correct.  I forgot about the junk wine makers.  Only the premium ones use correct labeling.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, duanebigsby said:

Sorry, but we don't want your crap.

Well then if no one buys it then guess you won't be seeing it for very long.

Thanks s why you don't see such culinary wonders as Marmite in most of our stores.

13 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Thanks s why you don't see such culinary wonders as Marmite in most of our stores.

"Sorry, but we don't want your crap."

Somehow I quoted this without meaning to.

Of course consumers  are the ultimate judge.

9 minutes ago, Shouldhaveknownbetter said:

My local Macro sells imported Grana Padano for around 800 baht for a kilo block.

I think everyone should buy some as it's much better than the ground stuff.  Today I bought a block of vegetarian NZ Parmesan (I think the NZ people can call it Parmesan and not go to an Italian jail for copyright violations) but it was terrible.  I would give it to my Thai friends but they won't touch the stuff.  That ground Parmesan in the green bottle from America was quite a bit better. 

Edited by marcusarelus

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

I think everyone should buy some as it's much better than the ground stuff.  Today I bought a block of vegetarian NZ Parmesan (I think the NZ people can call it Parmesan and not go to an Italian jail for copyright violations) but it was terrible.  I would give it to my Thai friends but they won't touch the stuff.  That ground Parmesan in the green bottle from America was quite a bit better. 

What is vegetarian  cheese?

On 9/16/2018 at 11:56 AM, Nyezhov said:

It's not about the buying. Some people, simply are not in the position to make informed decisions about what they eat.

For instance, in a local supermarket, reformed ham is sold. I would not even give it to my dog.

But there are others who need to buy food according to how their cloth is cut, in the hope that there is someone protecting them from any harmful products for sale.

Some people, like MA, might even assume that cellulose, food starch and potassium sorbate were necessary ingredients in a dried grated hard cheese product.

But because of our generally higher standards, we know that they are not.

So I for one am happy that the cheapest grated hard cheese product in my local supermarket contains 100% hard cheese with no additives and fillers.

If your society allows for such adulterated products to be sold to those who don't know any better, I am happy that i do not live in such a place.

Perhaps 'free market' to some means 'ripping off whomever we can' and/or 'money above all'.

10 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

It's not about the buying. Some people, simply are not in the position to make informed decisions about what they eat.

For instance, in a local supermarket, reformed ham is sold. I would not even give it to my dog.

But there are others who need to buy food according to how their cloth is cut, in the hope that there is someone protecting them from any harmful products for sale.

Some people, like MA, might even assume that cellulose, food starch and potassium sorbate were necessary ingredients in a dried grated hard cheese product.

So I for one am happy that the cheapest grated hard cheese product in my local supermarket contains 100% hard cheese with no additives and fillers.

If your society allows for such adulterated products to be sold to those who don't know any better, I am happy that i do not live in such a place.

Perhaps 'free market' to some means 'ripping off whomever we can' and/or 'money above all'.

Words fail me. The Nanny State takes on Pressed Ham to protect the Proles. Cut humanity some slack, if I choose to eat pressed Ham that's my decision not yours and if I'm so stupid as to choose nutritionally suspect iceberg lettuce over arugula that's my decision too. 

If I choose to drink, smoke, and go to Thailand  that's my decision. Not yours. I don't need to be protected.

Your post demonstrates the elitist and fascistic attitude of the know-it-all holier than thou Euro Bureaucrats who want to control the lives of those they see as not quite our crowd ducky.

That's not to say that government doesn't have a role in protecting folks from adulterated food. But that should be based on science, and show me the settled science that demonstrates that Kraft parmesan cheese is harmful to one's health. I bet you can't.

10 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Words fail me. The Nanny State takes on Pressed Ham to protect the Proles. Cut humanity some slack, if I choose to eat pressed Ham that's my decision not yours and if I'm so stupid as to choose nutritionally suspect iceberg lettuce over arugula that's my decision too. 

Your post demonstrates the elitist and fascistic attitude of the know-it-all holier than thou Euro Bureaucrats who want to control the lives of those they see as not quite our crowd ducky.

That's not to say that government doesn't have a role in protecting folks from adulterated food. But that should be based on science, and show me the settled science that demonstrates that Kraft parmesan cheese is harmful to one's health. I bet you can't.

No one is forcing you to come to Europe to eat our relatively high quality foodstuffs. 

The Kraft product of which you speak, fits no definition of Parmesan other than in the USA. It made me smile to read it's description of 100% cheese, no fillers. ?

But then continue reading the small print....

24 ounce size w/ Flavor Lock Cap100% real grated parmesanNo fillersRecipe ideas on packageIdeal for food serviceIngredients: Parmesan cheese (pasteurized part-skim milk, salt, less than 2% of enzymes, cheese culture, cellulose powder to prevent caking, potassium sorbate to protect flavor).Aged 6 months.

Sorry what? How can it be 100% cheese then?

You guys take dumbing down and deceit to new heights. 

I don't consider taking advantage of the ignorant sound business practice.

9 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

I am pretty sure you eat anti caking agents.  Without anti-caking agents, your cookie ingredients (sugar, flour, baking powder, salt etc.) would, over time, become solid blocks of chalk. Sea salt has anti caking agents in it.  I grate Parmesan cheese and store it in my refrigerator.  Without an anti caking agent I have to stir it with a chopstick or it won't pour.  So in essence you really don't know what you are talking about.   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I am pretty sure you eat anti caking agents.  Without anti-caking agents, your cookie ingredients (sugar, flour, baking powder, salt etc.) would, over time, become solid blocks of chalk. Sea salt has anti caking agents in it.  I grate Parmesan cheese and store it in my refrigerator.  Without an anti caking agent I have to stir it with a chopstick or it won't pour.  So in essence you really don't know what you are talking about.   

I think things like carrots, brown rice and asparagus are loaded with cellulose.

But hey, it's harmful if Americans put it in shredded cheese. 

This Thread isn t about parmesan cheese, it just an excuse for the usual America bashing.

9 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

I think things like carrots, brown rice and asparagus are loaded with cellulose.

But hey, it's harmful if Americans put it in shredded cheese. 

This Thread isn t about parmesan cheese, it just an excuse for the usual America bashing.

It's only you who has inserted 'harmful' when referring to cellulose. My question is "why is it there?"

The answer is, that together with the food starch, it is simply a filler for a cheap and nasty product.

You just insert words that weren't there, in order to change the subject to anti-Americanism. Pathetic really.

Stick to the subject.

Why the food starch, cellulose and potassium sorbate, if those products are not in the version sold in the UK?

9 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Nope. You are making it up again. Table Salt in the UK may have anti-caking agent.

My Cornish sea salt does not. Neither does the Danish sea salt in a grinder that I purchase.

Perhaps, once again, you are buying crap. For someone who is supposed to know a bit about food quality, you appear to have huge gaps in your knowledge.

Perhaps you really should travel more.

Yes, there may be anti-caking agents in foodstuffs that may require it.

But there is no reason for food starch, cellulose and potassium sorbate in the grated hard cheese product. In fact there is no reason anyone should buy that product at all.

I don't eat 'cookies'.