Thailand still a destination of choice for money conscious expats

Jonathan Fairfield

On 9/9/2018 at 6:12 PM, marcusarelus said:

$850 Room to rent with private bathroom (Acreage)

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap

(google map)

available sep 10

house
laundry on site
no smoking
attached garage
no private bath
private room

Have an extra bedroom in my three bedroom home with separate bathroom. Must have a job, transportation. Want a respectable, responsible person. No smoking, drugs, alcohol or pets. I have two dogs, work 6+ days a week. I keep to myself and very rarely have people over. Would prefer someone that doesn't have the need to constantly have people over.

LMAO

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, Petchou said:

I don't know how they did this, but it's quite wrong to put Thailand cheaper to live in than Morocco for example where everything is cheaper than Thailand.  

Yeah, but then you're stuck living in Morocco.

21 hours ago, yellowboat said:

Your post was masterfully masterful in its well putted-ness until here.  If your *hithole comment is inclusive of food, then yes,  the food is mediocre at best.  The genocide ravaged country run by a military strong man for three decades, has a problem with food.  An obvious repercussion of executing your best and brightest, while denying those who survived of an education; culinary or otherwise.  

There was a long thread a year ago that compared Thai and Khmer food.  Some posters felt that Cambodia had a better price / quality ratio when it came to western food than Thailand.  Thai food was superior to Khmer of course.  Hands down, Khmer coffee is far far superior than anything served in Thailand.  The Baguettes are good too, and yes, dare I say, cheap!  And you cannot buy them in Thailand. 

I have lived in Cambodia for two years and Thailand for four.  One is a more comfortable than the other, and one is infinitely more fun and interesting than the other.  *hithole is a rather barbaric thing to say of the home of the humble Khmer.   Sadly, it will look like parts of urbane China soon, which resembles downtown Duluth or the area where you are from.  I prefer *hithole

I spent last November in Cambodia and Laos. The most striking thing I noticed, other than the filth everywhere, is that nobody was smiling unless you were speaking to them and money was involved. The people that I did interact with were very friendly, but the general atmosphere didn't appear conducive to a happy populace. The food was mediocre at best compared to Thailand and I looked. I am a serious foodie. Yes, the Khmer Rouge seriously <deleted> Cambodia, for generations. They were also not the recipients of American largesse as the Thais were. That's a huge reason that Thailand is so much more developed than its neighbors, Malaysia excepted. Hun Sen, what can you say about a POS like that? Khmer Rouge turncoat when he realized the winds were shifting. Terrible what he and his family have done and are doing to that country, which they appear to be selling to China.

21 hours ago, neo555 said:

it think it depends on your standarts too. Most developing countries have a dual pay scheme. Cheap food for locals, expensive for outsiders.  

Portugal had local prices and tourist prices. Once I was recognized as 'local', I paid local prices. Normal practice in many places in the world.

35 minutes ago, GalaxyMan said:

Yeah, but then you're stuck living in Morocco.

I spent last November in Cambodia and Laos. The most striking thing I noticed, other than the filth everywhere, is that nobody was smiling unless you were speaking to them and money was involved. The people that I did interact with were very friendly, but the general atmosphere didn't appear conducive to a happy populace. The food was mediocre at best compared to Thailand and I looked. I am a serious foodie. Yes, the Khmer Rouge seriously <deleted> Cambodia, for generations. They were also not the recipients of American largesse as the Thais were. That's a huge reason that Thailand is so much more developed than its neighbors, Malaysia excepted. Hun Sen, what can you say about a POS like that? Khmer Rouge turncoat when he realized the winds were shifting. Terrible what he and his family have done and are doing to that country, which they appear to be selling to China.

Have not been to Laos in a few years, but recall Vientiane to be rather normal.  Over the course of 18 months, I lived in Siem Reap, Phnom Penh and Snooky and had fantastic experiences in all three places.  The Khmer's lives are not easy, but given their hardships, I find their attitudes inspiring. 

An example:  A small restaurant owner next to a 100% western owned super party hostel had an idea to sell beer for 25¢ from 5-6pm.  After noticing hordes of his guests leaving at 5pm, the British owner two weeks later caught wind of this, and started what he called power hour.   I asked the restaurant owner if he was mad and he just smiled and said: Its just business.  Some would think he would have gone into a jealous rage, but he didn't.  

I have been lucky I suppose in that my problems have been few and my joys countless.  It is possibly due to the way I drag my knuckles on the ground. 

2 hours ago, GalaxyMan said:

I live in Thailand because for me it offers the type and quality of life that suits me. I'm long past toys. I can only eat so much food or drink so much whatever. I love the people, the weather, the food. It's easy to find fault, with anything or anywhere. Any child can do it. When I weigh all of the pros and cons of Thailand, the scales are far heavier on the pros side for me.

hear hear

On 9/9/2018 at 4:26 PM, utalkin2me said:

MAn, where did you live, in the Texan plains? Out there by David Koresh with no water? ?

Where I am coming from a one bedroom box is $1500 a month. Done. Conversation over. Although i do believe you in that there are very cheap places in the us, i just do not particularly want to live in any of them. 

What the heck are you talking about. I wasn't talking about a rent. I was talking utility costs. For example, currently I'm paying on average 20,000 baht per month for electricity alone in Bangkok. Back in California, I was paying around $250~300 per month. That is the cost of maintaining the same level of our lifestyle in Thailand.

4 minutes ago, sitti said:

What the heck are you talking about. I wasn't talking about a rent. I was talking utility costs. For example, currently I'm paying on average 20,000 baht per month for electricity alone in Bangkok. Back in California, I was paying around $250~300 per month. That is the cost of maintaining the same level of our lifestyle in Thailand.

I live outside Bangkok and have 2 ac on all the time 3bdr home 3 people.  Water 200 baht per month.  Electricity 3000 baht per month. 

5 minutes ago, sitti said:

Unless you live in the largest mansion in Bangkok, your info. is totally bogus.

I was paying $400-$500 a month in California.

I pay about $60 here.

Water in Calif. $60. Here $10.

Maybe check your math....

3 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I live outside Bangkok and have 2 ac on all the time 3bdr home 3 people.  Water 200 baht per month.  Electricity 3000 baht per month. 

Yes.  Another thing is in California there are electric shut downs all the time in the summer.

Rarely here.

Utilities are huge rip offs in California.

19 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

you can save even more electricity by adjusting the settings from 30ºC to 32ºC.

:smile:

joke aside... "running" x-numbers aircons y-time in a home that has z-numbers bedrooms means nada, zilch, nothing.

9 minutes ago, Naam said:

you can save even more electricity by adjusting the settings from 30ºC to 32ºC.

:smile:

joke aside... "running" x-numbers aircons y-time in a home that has z-numbers bedrooms means nada, zilch, nothing.

It means something for the electricity bill doesn't it?  I keep mine at 28 they are Daikin inverter units. 

Average 3 bdr home sq footage 1300.

Utility cost comparisons always end up in a pissing contest, or you end up being trolled.

I was/am an aircon junkie when I'm in Thailand, I'm not gonna live with a couple of patlom's circulating the already hot and humid air.

So, my utility bills never dropped below ฿5000 a month, and could often be more.

I can compare that to my US bills when even in the depths of winter I pay ~$70 for electric and ~$120 for gas.

So it depends on how you want to live, where and a whole bunch of factors.

But each to their own, we all live our lives how we want, for better or worse

31 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I pay about $60 here.

I bet you'll be very surprised if you see our house. Not exactly I personally paid for it though. We even have an elevator to get to third floor. Blasting central aircon the whole house all day.

But I'm actually surprised to hear that you were paying $500 a month California. What were you using that much power for? We hardly ever turned on AC except during summer.

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:
1 hour ago, sitti said:

I pay about $60 here.

we live in the outskirts of Pattaya. our home is not a large mansion but a comfortable size. personally i think that an electricity bill of $60 (THB2000) is either bogus or it calls for condolences. here's one of our old bills which is representative what we are paying since many years. consumption 3-3,500 kWh in the cool season, 4-5,000kWh in the hot season.

Electr apr may 2016.JPG

30 minutes ago, Naam said:

we live in the outskirts of Pattaya. our home is not a large mansion but a comfortable size. personally i think that an electricity bill of $60 (THB2000) is either bogus or it calls for condolences. here's one of our old bills which is representative what we are paying since many years. consumption 3-3,500 kWh in the cool season, 4-5,000kWh in the hot season.

Electr apr may 2016.JPG

Ok.

Wow, I have never seen anything like that, especially in Pattaya.

I would go to the office and ask them what is up...

I know guys in the Darkside in a nice sized house paying about 3,000 a month.

Check it out.  If you think 2,000 b a month is bogus then boy certainly, I am happy with it . ?

Is your bill from a business environment?  If not, it certainly appears you are getting ripped off. 

1 hour ago, Naam said:

Electr apr may 2016.JPG

You shouldn't open doors and windows when using AC

Or your house must be at least 400 sq metres running AC 24/7 in every room.

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 6:34 PM, yellowboat said:

You may be able to speak five languages and tie your own shoelaces, but with this statement, you are pretty much telling me learning multiple languages is a waste of time.   Your job hunting advice is to look on the Internet?  Words fail me.  Go find a job on the Internet he says.   That and continuing this discussion would be a waste of time. 

Many people actually did, go back drinking in the mom and pop shop.

3 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Ok.

Wow, I have never seen anything like that, especially in Pattaya.

I would go to the office and ask them what is up...

I know guys in the Darkside in a nice sized house paying about 3,000 a month.

Check it out.  If you think 2,000 b a month is bogus then boy certainly, I am happy with it . ?

Is your bill from a business environment?  If not, it certainly appears you are getting ripped off. 

people with a 2,000 Baht electricity bill in a tropical country are ripping themselves of. my 17 (or 18?) aircon units are not a rip-off but they provide comfort as does heating in my home country when it's cold.

welcome to reality!  :smile:

2 hours ago, AtoZ said:

You shouldn't open doors and windows when using AC

Or your house must be at least 400 sq metres running AC 24/7 in every room.

aironditioned area in our home is 600m². half of the installed units are running ~16 hours a day, at night 3-4 units. aircon share of electricity bill is ~40% november till february and ~60% march till october. 

note: only idiots keep doors and windows open when using airconditioning.

4 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Utility cost comparisons always end up in a pissing contest, or you end up being trolled.

I was/am an aircon junkie when I'm in Thailand, I'm not gonna live with a couple of patlom's circulating the already hot and humid air.

:clap2:

13 hours ago, Naam said:

people with a 2,000 Baht electricity bill in a tropical country are ripping themselves of. my 17 (or 18?) aircon units are not a rip-off but they provide comfort as does heating in my home country when it's cold.

Quite a few of them, thought of changing to the ceiling cassette types? They got more BTU/unit and are more quiet. I'm doing that now, 10 units will change to 7. Electric bill was ~8-9k in hot season so your 20k seems in line.

Western style, western costs. Somchai can use a fan for 200b/month.

Archived