Thailand still a destination of choice for money conscious expats

Jonathan Fairfield

52 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

IT is a growth market, needs a lot of people.

Last time I checked basic programmer salaries for Thais started from around 13k/month. "Managers" were somewhere around 30k. As an expat I'd be expecting a minimum of 300k/month + package to even start thinking of moving to a country in a downward trajectory. Unless I was young, single and put a lot of value into getting laid cheap. That's the only thing that Thailand seems to  be able to retain as all of the rest crumbles.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, freebyrd said:

I have lived in my current house for 5 years not Thailand - So what was the BS about I came to Thailand in 1968? I asked you how long you had been in Thailand , not when you first visited! Now you're saying you haven't lived in Thailand for the last 5 years. At best it seems you are flexible with the truth and BTW, what the hell is "who a jai" Mr fluent Thai speaker? , it's hua jai ??. You are nothing but a used car salesman.

You misinterpreted what I said.  I said I have lived in my present house for 5 years not in Thailand for 5 years.  I have lived in Thailand much longer than 5 years.

who a jai  and hua jai, say them both, sound the same?  Of course they do.  There is no correct way to spell transliterations.  Check out Thai road signs for confirmation. 

What on earth do your comments have to dc with the topic?  Personal attacks again?  Why?  It is a discussion on an internet forum why lower yourself to personal attacks.  Now I'm a used car salesman?

10 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Last time I checked basic programmer salaries for Thais started from around 13k/month. "Managers" were somewhere around 30k. As an expat I'd be expecting a minimum of 300k/month + package to even start thinking of moving to a country in a downward trajectory. Unless I was young, single and put a lot of value into getting laid cheap. That's the only thing that Thailand seems to  be able to retain as all of the rest crumbles.

What is downward? 

thailand-gdp@2x.png

thailand-tourist-arrivals@2x.png

7 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

You misinterpreted what I said.  I said I have lived in my present house for 5 years not in Thailand for 5 years.  I have lived in Thailand much longer than 5 years.

who a jai  and hua jai, say them both, sound the same?  Of course they do.  There is no correct way to spell transliterations.  Check out Thai road signs for confirmation. 

What on earth do your comments have to dc with the topic?  Personal attacks again?  Why?  It is a discussion on an internet forum why lower yourself to personal attacks.  Now I'm a used car salesman?

Your holier than thou condescending attitude certainly doesn't endear you to people.

7 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Quality of life. Thank the brainless usurpers in the swamp town selling the country to the northern commies. 

You mean Canadians?  I thought we were talking about Thailand.  Since the pound and Aussie dollar went down my neighborhood has gotten much better.  No loud noises or drunks running around.   

31 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

You checked on the wrong sites then, try https://th.jobsdb.com/th

What is moving in a downward trajectory in Thailand according to you? How long / may times have you been visiting?

Good luck finding a company that will pay 300k to a foreigner.
For a fraction of this you can hire a Thai that has a degree from abroad and speaks fluent English and Thai of course.
You could even send him to training abroad if necessary

1 hour ago, CLW said:

Good luck finding a company that will pay 300k to a foreigner.
For a fraction of this you can hire a Thai that has a degree from abroad and speaks fluent English and Thai of course.
You could even send him to training abroad if necessary

Yes. So why would a working expat bother?

Yes. So why would a working expat bother?
Are you aware that most companies calculate the expenses and "package" according to the cost of living and buying power of the paid currency salary.
So you might find a company that pay you an amount similar to 300k baht in a western or any other similar country (ME, USA, etc) but what you get for this would be less than for 65k in Thailand.

2 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

IT is a growth market, needs a lot of people. In the building where I work are many international companies with a increasing number of foreign workers. In the buildings where our customers are the same story. Sorry there might be "articles stating that large, foreign companies were not sending people to Thailand anymore.", but in reality there are more and more foreign workers at the international companies.  

Show me the job listing for Thailand, OUTSIDE of Agoda, for foreign IT workers.  I am very happy to be proven wrong.  Give us some company names, and some job description links. 

You are right in that there should be a TREMENDOUS need for people with Internet skills in Thailand.    An article a couple of weeks ago talked about how Databases in different departments in the Thai government were unable to communicate with one another.  Given that ODBC is a Microsoft creation, you would think they would know what that was and standardize its usage .  ODBC drivers are common in UNIX/Apple as well.   It should be mandatory. 

Truth is many places, including Cambodia, need Internet expertise, but if that is basis of your whole argument of "making it Thailand", it is not compelling.  Prior to the junta seizing power, Thailand was more than a one trick pony.     

4 minutes ago, CLW said:

Are you aware that most companies calculate the expenses and "package" according to the cost of living and buying power of the paid currency salary.
So you might find a company that pay you an amount similar to 300k baht in a western or any other similar country (ME, USA, etc) but what you get for this would be less than for 65k in Thailand.

Sure. The people I knew "on a package" were living in BKK renting 100k+ houses, with kids in schools for 1M+ per year. Basically western lifestyle, with the price tag to match. I mentioned in the beginning Thailand is ok if you're willing to live a somchai lifestyle, but gets more expensive than west if you have a western lifestyle.

21 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

I take it you don't follow geopolitics? The graphs you took, check what's behind them and what happened to African countries, Cambodia, etc.

You said. " Thank the brainless usurpers in the swamp town selling the country to the northern commies."    The swamp, what they call WA DC and North of that is Canada.  Seems logical to me. 

51 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

You said. " Thank the brainless usurpers in the swamp town selling the country to the northern commies."    The swamp, what they call WA DC and North of that is Canada.  Seems logical to me. 

Ah. Well, check where krungthep has been built. 

2 hours ago, yellowboat said:

Show me the job listing for Thailand, OUTSIDE of Agoda, for foreign IT workers.  I am very happy to be proven wrong.  Give us some company names, and some job description links. 

You are right in that there should be a TREMENDOUS need for people with Internet skills in Thailand.    An article a couple of weeks ago talked about how Databases in different departments in the Thai government were unable to communicate with one another.  Given that ODBC is a Microsoft creation, you would think they would know what that was and standardize its usage .  ODBC drivers are common in UNIX/Apple as well.   It should be mandatory. 

Truth is many places, including Cambodia, need Internet expertise, but if that is basis of your whole argument of "making it Thailand", it is not compelling.  Prior to the junta seizing power, Thailand was more than a one trick pony.     

IT is much wider than internet but here you go; https://th.jobsdb.com/th 

16 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

"Sorry, worked for several very wealthy entrepreneurs over three decades in Asia, some worth  hundreds of millions of dollars."

They did good, how much did you make?

"somehow doubt the excited people with money you talk about learned Thai. "

Up to you, they did.

"Learning Thai over Chinese, Bhasa,"

Do you mean Bahasa Indonesia?

"My Thai friends tell me NOT to learn Thai over a more valuable language."

You can learn multiple languages, many people do.

Why would your "friends" advise you not to talk their language?  

Do you have an argument to make, or you just spouting off ?   Some Thai people will tell you to learn Chinese or Bhasa rather than learning Thai.  The humble Thai can be wiser than some give them credit for.  Thai, in the scheme of things, is not that useful.  You can learn multiple languages, but why learn a second tier language when you can learn one that is more advantageous ? 

Indonesia will probably be the second largest economy in Asia after China. 

You want to know how much money I made ?   That is an odd question.   They make tons of money not knowing an Asian language, and on top of that, one such person is a naturalized Chinese citizen. 

If you love Thailand and you think it is the most useful languages on earth, gawd love ya'

11 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

Do you have an argument to make, or you just spouting off ?   Some Thai people will tell you to learn Chinese or Bhasa rather than learning Thai.  The humble Thai can be wiser than some give them credit for.  Thai, in the scheme of things, is not that useful.  You can learn multiple languages, but why learn a second tier language when you can learn one that is more advantageous ? 

Indonesia will probably be the second largest economy in Asia after China. 

You want to know how much money I made ?   That is an odd question.   They make tons of money not knowing an Asian language, and on top of that, one such person is a naturalized Chinese citizen. 

If you love Thailand and you think it is the most useful languages on earth, gawd love ya'

I speak 5 languages

On 9/9/2018 at 2:14 PM, marcusarelus said:

So you don't know much about Thailand.  Not my fault.  2 bdr new home in a quiet soi 2 blocks off of Sukhummvit, one hour from Bangkok 1 hour from Pattaya close to the gulf, shopping and good healthcare and schools.  Of course it's subjective I don't consider anyplace in the UK nice and that includes Buckingham palace.

Lol.. Yes, after 12 years living and working here I've learned nothing. 

1 hour from BKK and 1 hour from Pattaya is hardly a prime location for most. But even given that you've got zero chance of finding anything I'd consider nice for that price in that location. 

I'm unsure why the reference to the UK. I'm not from there. But thanks. 

The things you can’t put a price on.

Experiences    

Freedom

Safety

Rights 

Quality of life

There’s a reason a lot of people from other countries want to go to USA, New Zealand, Canada, Australia, EU… there's a reason a lot of people aren't trying to make Thailand their home.

Thailand has it’s places and it can be a fun trip, but for permanent living?  It’s not for everyone and it can get old fast, unless you can’t afford otherwise or you like having a younger asian lover.  

More often these days, people that I talk to that are stuck in Thailand because of various reasons, given other options would not stick around.

For some people, where they come from and how they live their life, Thailand works for them.

6 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Why don't you just stop and answer the questions?

You said you came to Thailand in 1968, yet you were divorced 3 times in the USA.

Answer all of the rest of the questions and stop contradicting yourself.

Many others have pointed out your fallacies as well

Just now, bwpage3 said:

Why don't you just stop and answer the questions?

You said you came to Thailand in 1968, yet you were divorced 3 times in the USA.

Answer all of the rest of the questions and stop contradicting yourself.

Many others have pointed out your fallacies as well

Why on earth would I answer your questions about my personal life. It has nothing to do with the topic of the thread and is only fodder for your personal attacks against me because you can't reasonably support your arguments  about Thai bashing.

I came to Thailand for the first time in 1968 and I was divorced 3 times in the USA.  So who cares? 

I've never been divorced in Thailand.  Nor do I think I ever will.  In Thailand society is content to have a Wat marriage (see last PM) avoiding the perils of a legal marriage.  The family is happy.  My wife is happy and her family and friends are happy. 

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

If you can't find a job there, you are not suitable to do the job to start with.

You may be able to speak five languages and tie your own shoelaces, but with this statement, you are pretty much telling me learning multiple languages is a waste of time.   Your job hunting advice is to look on the Internet?  Words fail me.  Go find a job on the Internet he says.   That and continuing this discussion would be a waste of time. 

On 9/9/2018 at 6:01 PM, JAZZDOG said:

I come from Palm Beach, Florida, plastic-ville. I have a very good idea of what good living is all about. If I wanted to live like that, I'd have stayed there.

Grew up in Boca. Good living on US$1000 in Palm Beach, dream on ! You cant rent a single-wide trailer for that.

No shit! I could not believe the price inflation last time I was there (hopefully the last time).

$1,000/mo. Social Security. I love the idea that the useless US government is paying for my life now. Cashing out in the dot-com exfuckingextravaganza in the 80s eliminated the need to build up a SS account or work. I'd rather chill. Working was always an economic necessity, not something I'd ever choose to do unless I had to. Seriously, are you going to depend upon the US government? I realized long ago that that was like playing slot machines; you're bound to lose at some point.

I live in Thailand because for me it offers the type and quality of life that suits me. I'm long past toys. I can only eat so much food or drink so much whatever. I love the people, the weather, the food. It's easy to find fault, with anything or anywhere. Any child can do it. When I weigh all of the pros and cons of Thailand, the scales are far heavier on the pros side for me.

As has been rightly said, each to their own.

Archived