Marriage

tallen1966

Hi,

I'm going to propose marriage to my Thai girlfriend on my next vacation. Any advice on Thai culture would be helpful. For example, do I buy her an engagement/wedding ring like they do here in the west? I don't even know if Thai girls wear wedding rings. I read the book "Thailand Fever" and "Thailand, Culture Shock". I'm trying to learn as much as possible about Thai culture. I don't want to be one of those obnoxious loud Americans and I want to show respect for their way of life.

I can't say where I met her, as it might get her in trouble. Although, I did meet her in Pattaya and she isn't a bargirl. I finally learned how to use the "search forum", very helpful. There is so much good advice on this website. I saw the "friendliest bar in Thailand" last time I was in Pattaya. Nice bar you have Jai Dee. I didn't get a chance to stop there and have a few beers, but I will definitely do so next time I am in Thailand.

I saw the "friendliest bar in Thailand" last time I was in Pattaya. Nice bar you have Jai Dee.

Ummm... I don't own a bar.

:D

Where did you see this?

Sounds like fun... :o

I saw a little bar with the name "Jai Dee" and "Friendliest bar in Thailand". It was in a cluster of bars on the east side of 2nd road, 3 blocks north of Soi 13. I was staying at the Dynasty Inn hotel at the time. I don't know, maybe I had too many beers and I was seeing things. I'm going to Thailand soon and I'll take another look, this time sober.

Hi,

I'm going to propose marriage to my Thai girlfriend on my next vacation. Any advice on Thai culture would be helpful. For example, do I buy her an engagement/wedding ring like they do here in the west? I don't even know if Thai girls wear wedding rings. I read the book "Thailand Fever" and "Thailand, Culture Shock". I'm trying to learn as much as possible about Thai culture. I don't want to be one of those obnoxious loud Americans and I want to show respect for their way of life.

Thai visa forum is adult forum !!!!!!!!

make sub forum for ado question !!!!!

Hi,

Whats an ado, was that a typing error? :o

...Although, I did meet her in Pattaya and she isn't a bargirl.

If I had a satang for every time I head that line ... :o

Not that there's anything wrong with being a bar girl, I know an equaly number of girls happily married to farangs both here and abroad who are having a great marriage regardless of her background. it's just that so many people won't face reality.

Btw, Jai Dee means "good heart" in Thai. Having Jai Dee is is one of the most coveted qualities for most Thai girls so I'm not surprised you'll find a bar with this name.

Edited by Phil Conners

If I had a satang for every time I head that line ... :o

Not that there's anything wrong with being a bar girl, I know an equaly number of girls happily married to farangs both here and abroad who are having a great marriage regardless of her background. it's just that so many people won't face reality.

Btw, Jai Dee means "good heart" in Thai. Having Jai Dee is is one of the most coveted qualities for most Thai girls so I'm not surprised you'll find a bar with this name.

:D me too phil id be a rich man.best one i heard was she was selling boiled eggs on the beach :D

If I had a satang for every time I head that line ... :D

:D me too phil id be a rich man.best one i heard was she was selling boiled eggs on the beach :D

were thos ferilized or over upside down :o

Worry ye not about proposing in the correct cultural manner. It's much better to fully check out her family. How many of her brothers have done time? Who are the alcoholics in the family? What is everybody's salary. Go and look at where and how they live. Don't be shy, be like a Thai. These people are gonna be your relations for the rest of your life. Are they gonna be a help or a hindrance?

If I had a satang for every time I head that line ... :D

were thos ferilized or over upside down :o

:D her eggs had been given a thorough fertilizing by all and sundry :bah: it was never a beleivable story,the long painted fingernails and toenails gave it away!!

Many Thais are quite taken with western customs. She picked a farang boyfriend, didn't she? Don't be surprised if she wants a western wedding in a white dress as well as a big diamond ring!

One thing they don't teach you in the books is that Thais, particularly up-country ones, cannot fathom a middle class lifestyle or income. You are either rich or poor. Farangs can't possibly be poor, therefore you are rich and can afford anything. Be prepared for being either looked down on as a 'cheap Charlie' for not giving in to every extravagant request or looked down on as an easily manipulated, stupid, rich guy because you did give in. You can't really emulate rich Thais as most of them are SOBs which you clearly are not.

A wedding is hopefully a one time occasion so I would err on the extravagance side but just take it easy. As to being a loud, obnoxious boor, that is something the books can be of benefit in avoiding. Take seriously the advice not to complain, especially not loudly or in public, and do expect to compromise somewhat in case of disputes. Don't try to force a win-lose solution to problems as usually you will lose also. Really try for win-win or least something where people don't lose face. Yet you have to be careful or you will be taken advantage of. Maybe = no in Thailand. You can use that too. Avoid saying "no!' to requests. Better to put people off - they'll get the message even if they pretend not too.

If you are learning Thai, be cautious about the personal pronoun. I too often see (and used to get kicked by the wife for doing it myself) - farangs using 'Nong' or no salutation at all where they should be using 'Khun'. You can't go wrong with addressing people as Khun except with children (and don't pat them on the head). Be careful about kidding people. I found it very helpful to go into social situations with Thais with the attitude that I was dealing with children in the sense that a kid can tease you about being bald or whatever but if you come back with a comment about being fat you may end up with a kid in tears.

Peter

Hi,

I saw the "friendliest bar in Thailand" last time I was in Pattaya. Nice bar you have Jai Dee.

Ummm... I don't own a bar.

:D

Where did you see this?

Sounds like fun... :o

I saw a little bar with the name "Jai Dee" and "Friendliest bar in Thailand". It was in a cluster of bars on the east side of 2nd road, 3 blocks north of Soi 13. I was staying at the Dynasty Inn hotel at the time. I don't know, maybe I had too many beers and I was seeing things. I'm going to Thailand soon and I'll take another look, this time sober.

Jai Dee (the member / mod here on ThaiVisa) is Australian. The guy who owns the Jai Dee bar is a brit :D

Hi,

Whats an ado, was that a typing error? :o

Much ado about nothing. OK