3BB FTTH FibeHome and Asus RT-AC86U settings.

phetphet

So 3BB finally came today and fitted my FTTH 100/30 Mbps. The router they supplied, a FibreHome GPON ONU Model AN5506-04-FA is not the same as my two neighbours, who both have Huawei ones. Don't know if this one is an improvement.

I asked them to put it in bridge mode, and turn off the radios as I wanted to use my Asus 86U for wifi, which they duly did. Once up and running, they asked me to do a speed test on my phone. I got 116Mbps using testmy.net, but later tried www.speedof.me and only got 65Mbps via my MacBook..

After they went, I logged into the 3BB router, but it was not possible to try to change any settings. Not that I wanted to. Just wanted to see what was there: VOIP etc.

Then I logged into my Asus router which is now running everything. Changed login details, checked firmware for any updates, and time and region settings.

Now the questions.

DCHP.

If I use Cloudflare DCHP servers, will it make much difference speedwise? If so, where do I look in the router interface? and how to I change or add the required info.

Wifi Channels.

Wireless Mode  AUTO

Channel Bandwidth 20/40MHz.  

Control Channel AUTO

Anything here can be changed to improve wifi?

IPv6 is disabled.  Should I enable this? and should it be done on the Asus? or the 3BB router?  What to choose in "Famous server settings if any?

Ai Protection.

Any recommendations on any of thee settings?

No expert on this stuff, but just want to try and improve and secure things a little bit, so any help much appreciated.

If in doubt reset and leave as much as possible on default settings. They are normally pretty good with Asus products.

If you really want to play around with this I recommend you read the user manual for the details.

And if you change something then change only one setting at a time and document what you did.

Then test, if possible for a day or so, and then if necessary try other settings.

Checking the bandwidth is not easy because it depends on lots of factors which may change all the time. A speed test from a minute ago and now with all settings the same does likely still not return the same result.

15 hours ago, phetphet said:

DCHP.

If I use Cloudflare DCHP servers, will it make much difference speedwise? If so, where do I look in the router interface? and how to I change or add the required info.

You mean DNS.

If you want to use a DNS server other than the 3BB one, put the desired IP addresses in your Asus router where it says "DNS server".

Wifi Channels.

Wireless Mode  AUTO

Channel Bandwidth 20/40MHz.  

Control Channel AUTO

Anything here can be changed to improve wifi?

Do you currently have a problem with the wifi? If not you probably cant improve it. Leave it alone.

IPv6 is disabled.  Should I enable this? and should it be done on the Asus? or the 3BB router?  What to choose in "Famous server settings if any?

"Famous" settings?

If IPV6 is disabled then you dont need it.

@KittenKong

The Famous Server list is where you select where your FTP,HTTP etc server is located on your Network. It's a setting on ASUS (maybe other routers as well)  under ipV6 Firewall

See picture

famous.JPG.cb82a2758b4cb50f74bd31ca6ae54c8d.JPG

@phetphet

I guess you don't have any Servers (FTP,HTTP etc) running so don't mess with it

You asked for them to put your FibreHome  router in Bridge mode. When they done that, your FibreHome router is just a "translation device" everything on your Network is since then done by Your ASUS. DHCP, logging into your Provider, firewall and everything else.

So if anything needs changing it needs to be done on your ASUS.

1 hour ago, MJCM said:

The Famous Server list is where you select where your FTP,HTTP etc server is located on your Network. It's a setting on ASUS (maybe other routers as well) 

Fancy that. Must be some bizarre translation from Chinese. I've never come across the expression anywhere before.

Archived