No choice in Battambang: Cambodians have to migrate to Thailand

geovalin

Families are torn apart as more Cambodians seek better-paying jobs across the border in Thailand

Yu Ya with her son and mother at their home in Battambang province in Cambodia. With no job prospects in the impoverished region, Yu Ya will soon become a migrant worker in Thailand. (Photo byAte Hoekstra) 

Yu Ya doesn't really want to go Thailand. She would much rather stay at home to look after her 1-year-old son. But the Cambodian woman feels like there's no other option.

"There's no job for me here. We only have a rice field and a small shop to sell rice soup for breakfast. That's not enough to make a living," she says in Bavel, a rural district in Battambang province.

read more https://international.la-croix.com/news/no-choice-in-battambang-cambodians-have-to-migrate/8365#

Very unfortunate situation since Battambang itself is, I believe, Cambodia's second city after Phnom Penh. I have visited on several occasions and it is very pleasant, specially along the river banks, however getting there is time consuming by road, river and recently rail. There is a large airport but this closed many years ago and is only used by the military I believe. Investment in this airport could boost tourism and provide the much needed jobs for local people like the lady and her family above.

Poor old Cambodia.

With  former Khmer Rouge leader Hun Sen  now lining his pockets as the  firmly implanted and capitalist  "Boss",  I cannot see anything  more positive coming  to the rural Khmer than when he shouted slogans for Pol Pot.