Short term option to extend an extension?

Hi all,

I am currently stuck in an interesting situation and am unsure what my options are. I am in Thailand on a tourist visa that has been extended for 30 days. I am due to leave the country on the 18th of September. Late last week I was offered a job in Korea, and have been frenziedly organizing my E2 work visa for this. However, all things going well, I am required to be in Korea by the 27th to begin my new job. To make matters more interesting, I am worried that when I get the green light to submit my documents to the Korean embassy in Bkk I may well be in Laos to do a visa run. I have briefly considered the idea of paying the overstay but want to avoid this if at all possible. I am also a little concerned at being denied entry back into Thailand should I seek to exit and re-enter on the same day.

My question is: Is there a way I can extend my stay long enough to travel to Korea on the 25th without having to leave Thailand? If it helps I am married to a Thai national with all relevant legal documents. At the time of extension I did not realize I was eligible for a 60 day extension so I kinda shot myself in the foot there with my lack of knowledge. I have two back to back tourist visas, one from my home country and my second from Vientiane. Before I got my Korean job I was planning to get a Non O visa during this exit.

Thanks for any advice.

Edited by rowdyone

There is nothing stopping you applying for a 60 day extension to visit your wife on top of the 30 day extension you’ve had for tourism.

It’s been done before, however, it’s not something that happens regularly so your immigration office might not play ball.

• Like 1

If immigration is unwilling to issue a 60 day extension you could apply a extension pay 1900 baht and be granted 7 days to leave the country that would get you close to the date you need to be in Korea.

If you qualify for a visa exempt entry you could also do a border hop for a 30 day visa exempt entry. That could only take a few hours to do dependent upon where you are living.

12 hours ago, rowdyone said:

I am also a little concerned at being denied entry back into Thailand should I seek to exit and re-enter on the same day.

If you do not have 2 Visa-Exempt entries by-land this calendar year, and your nationality qualifies for Visa-Exempt, you should not have a problem doing this at a friendly land-border, based on reports to-date. 

Same-day-return restrictions are reported to be imposed at some Malaysian crossings - but not crossings to Laos or most to Cambodia (But Definitely Avoid the Poipet/Aranya crossing). 

Thanks for all the replies. I have decided to do the border run as I already had a ticket to Vientiane and hotel booked for my now aborted Non O attempt. I have no visa exempt land entries this year. It is good to know that the Laos border is a good place to do it.

Thanks for the advice. Good to know about the possible opportunity to extend for a further 60 days too.